• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    12 Strong - True story and really well made as far as the action (except rifles never need reloading)
    Lone Survivor - Based on the true story of a Texas boy. If you haven't read his books, you should.
    American Sniper - Another Texas boy and surprisingly well made movie
    Hamburger Hill - The frustration of Vietnam based on a real battle documented in Life magazine. Mirrors the myth of Sisyphus.
    Siege at Firebase Gloria - this movie made the Old Gunny famous, along with Full Metal Jacket
    T-34
    (Russian movie) - Yeah, you have to put up with subtitles, and parts are a bit of a logic stretch, but still a good action flick
    Sharpe's Rifles (British TV series) - Lots of episodes, one of the few movies about the Napoleonic Wars
    The Sands of Iwo Jima - They didn't aim for accuracy, but its still a great film
    The Lost Battalion (TV movie) - True story, and a rare film about WWI.
    The Rough Riders (TV movie) - Easy to see why Theo. Roosevelt was loved by his troops.
    Gods and Generals - Often ridiculed as being pro-Confederacy, I think it's actually a pretty even handed story about Gettysburg.
    Starship Troopers - Yes, science fiction and sometimes silly, but you still find yourself wanting to waste those bugs.
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache, Rio Grande - The John Wayne cavalry trio.

I don't know if Stagecoach could be considered a war movie, but it's one of the best westerns ever made.

If you liked 12 Strong, then watch Legion of Brothers, the documentary about the first ODA teams to go into Afghanistan. It's the real thing, not the Hollywood version (which wasn't bad, but more entertainment than factual)...

Many of the more current movies listed, such as Lone Survivor and American Sniper, suffer from the same "interesting but too many factual inaccuracies" for me.

I understand they are not meant to be documentaries, but Hollywood takes too many liberties and doesn't focus on what actually happened.

While Black Hawk Down has been criticized for the same, but I feel it still tried to stay true to the events in Mogadishu than most war movies made these days...
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Panfilov's 28 Men.

Check it out on Prime Video!

Almin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2021
    SA
    Panfilov's 28 Men.

Check it out on Prime Video!
    Or free on youtube turn on eng cc

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Silent Wings: The American Glider Pilots of WW II.

As well as covering the creation, setbacks, and missions, there are interviews with pilots and the infantry who were went in on the gliders. Walter Cronkite and Andy Rooney talk about their experiences.

Fun fact: The glider pilots were mostly enlisted who, after landing, picked up their weapons and went into combat with their units.

Last edited:

OldChap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Houston area
    Not exactly a "war" movie, but one of our favorites is 13 Hours.

Another not exactly "war" movie is Strategic Air Command which is about the Cold War and has some of the best military flying sequences ever filmed - At least in my opinion.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Another not exactly "war" movie is Strategic Air Command which is about the Cold War and has some of the best military flying sequences ever filmed - At least in my opinion.

1676827780700.png

Top Bottom