• majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Zulu is a great one.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

A great one indeed; but with a fair number of historical inaccuracies in it, most notably the extensive use of the Webley Mk. VI .455 revolver which wasn't adopted until 1915 (the Battle of Rorke's Drift occurred in 1879)...

1688913398995.png

1688913418676.png

The officers of the 24th Regiment of Foot would have been carrying Adams Mk.III revolvers...

1688913504357.png

It also depicts the soldiers as being mostly Welsh, which is far from the case. They were a mix of all British ethnicities.

As seen in the above pictures, they are also wearing parade dress uniforms, as indicated by the white helmets displaying the regimental crest.

On active duty they would've worn a more basic uniform with plain cork helmets.

The film also depicts many of the Zulus being killed by gunfire. Most of the rounds fired by the British either wounded the Zulus or missed them completely. About two-thirds of the Zulus killed in the battle were bayoneted in the head.

Lastly, it shows Pvt. Hitch being shot through the thigh by a Zulu sniper. In real life, he was shot through the shoulder with the bullet shattered his shoulder blade. A number of paintings of the battle show Hitch with his injured arm held still by his belt, and a photograph of him taken after he was presented his Victoria Cross shows his arm still in a sling.

But to be fair, it wasn't a documentary...

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A great one indeed; but with a fair number of historical inaccuracies in it, most notably the extensive use of the Webley Mk. VI .455 revolver which wasn't adopted until 1915 (the Battle of Rorke's Drift occurred in 1879)...

View attachment 395283
    View attachment 395284

The officers of the 24th Regiment of Foot would have been carrying Adams Mk.III revolvers...

View attachment 395285

It also depicts the soldiers as being mostly Welsh, which is far from the case. They were a mix of all British ethnicities.

As seen in the above pictures, they are also wearing parade dress uniforms, as indicated by the white helmets displaying the regimental crest.

On active duty they would've worn a more basic uniform with plain cork helmets.

The film also depicts many of the Zulus being killed by gunfire. Most of the rounds fired by the British either wounded the Zulus or missed them completely. About two-thirds of the Zulus killed in the battle were bayoneted in the head.

Lastly, it shows Pvt. Hitch being shot through the thigh by a Zulu sniper. In real life, he was shot through the shoulder with the bullet shattered his shoulder blade. A number of paintings of the battle show Hitch with his injured arm held still by his belt, and a photograph of him taken after he was presented his Victoria Cross shows his arm still in a sling.

But to be fair, it wasn't a documentary...

Yeah, I noticed that as well.
    The movie was made back when absolute historical accuracy wasn't given much thought.
    There is one scene where the British are advancing over a barricade. The camera angle is from down below looking upward. One soldier, very distinctly, raises his rifle to the shoulder and fires. You can see the firing pin cocking knob drop on an Enfield bolt action type rifle. Probably a Mk I. LOL.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, I noticed that as well.
    The movie was made back when absolute historical accuracy wasn't given much thought.
    There is one scene where the British are advancing over a barricade. The camera angle is from down below looking upward. One soldier, very distinctly, raises his rifle to the shoulder and fires. You can see the firing pin cocking knob drop on an Enfield bolt action type rifle. Probably a Mk I. LOL.
    Not war movie, but still has a fun battle scene: "Swiss Family Robinson". On the point of rifles, they used what looks to me like trapdoor Springfields kitted out to look like flintlocks.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Enemy at the Gates, Von Richthofen and Brown (Red Baron), .....

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Since I have been told, I have to stay in bed after my surgery for a while, I have been watching movies on Netflix and prime. Found these three that were decent

Hacksaw Ridge - -true story - Prime

Operation Finale -true story - Netflix
    Nazi hunting post WWII

The Great War of Archimedes - bad dialogue, bad acting, but an interesting storyline, - based on some factual events- Prime

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Gonna watch "The Big Red One" again tonite. When life gets really dark I usually tune up "Apocalypse Redux". Somehow it's kept me from doing something terminally stupid all these years.

Top Bottom