Warfarin Hog Pesticide - Scary Stuff

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Double Naught Spy, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Double Naught Spy

Double Naught Spy Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I don't know if y'all have seen this but a new hog pesticide has been approved for use in Texas. It is Warfarin based. Warfarin is long acting anticoagulant that is transmissible through the food chain. It is used in some rodenticides, but now they want to use it for hogs with special feeders that are supposed to alleviate by-kill of non target species. Warfarin is a better choice than cyanide, but is hardly a good choice given the potential for cross-species poisonings, either through direct ingestion or by eating the carcasses of animals poisoned by it. It also will make feral hog consumption more dangerous. No doubt this will impact hog doggers and trappers as well who sell live hogs for consumption.

Texas was also testing sodium nitrate (meat preservative) which is much less harmful to the environment and won't harm animals that feed on hogs that have ingested it, but this choice was apparently abandoned after the USDA approved warfarin for hog killing. Texas is subsequently giving up funding for research into hog control ($900K per year) as well because of the approval of warfarin use.

To be used, it must be in specialty traps by licensed individuals who have had training in its use. Hogs must be first trained on how to use the traps before introducing the poison which will require multiple feedings to be lethal. Once lethal, the process must start again with new hogs, teaching them how to use the traps...

There is a petition started to put a halt to the use of this product before it gets started.
    http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/pyrethrins-ziram/warfarin-ext.html

You can also contact your state representatives about this...
    http://gis1.tlc.state.tx.us/mobile/fyi/

2. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I support Tannerite use.

3. BRD@66

BRD@66 Well-Known

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Wow! What could possibly go worng? I am reminded of Timic & the problems it caused. Yes, spelling nazis, wrong is misspelled - intentionally ala the movie Westworld.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. V-Tach

V-Tach Well-Known Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Warfarin has been around for over 70 years and used in humans daily.

I haven't seen any valid argument against it, yet....

5. Sam Colt

Sam Colt Active Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Neighbor used it on ground squirrels at his ranch. Cost me a good dog when she ate the sick ones. Bad stuff.

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

I remember the Ranch used to have Coyote traps using shotgun shells and poison.

7. roadkill

roadkill Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    But the dosage is monitored and regulated by a doctor. If eating a hog that's been poisoned what dosage are you ingesting? Can easily be life threatening especially if your already on warfarin.

8. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Not to mention the other wildlife that eats the poisoned hogs on a regular basis.

from an idgit coffeeholic

9. Another great new product idea from the people that approved DDT.

10. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Might be a lot of dead buzzards lying around.