• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I don't know if y'all have seen this but a new hog pesticide has been approved for use in Texas. It is Warfarin based. Warfarin is long acting anticoagulant that is transmissible through the food chain. It is used in some rodenticides, but now they want to use it for hogs with special feeders that are supposed to alleviate by-kill of non target species. Warfarin is a better choice than cyanide, but is hardly a good choice given the potential for cross-species poisonings, either through direct ingestion or by eating the carcasses of animals poisoned by it. It also will make feral hog consumption more dangerous. No doubt this will impact hog doggers and trappers as well who sell live hogs for consumption.

Texas was also testing sodium nitrate (meat preservative) which is much less harmful to the environment and won't harm animals that feed on hogs that have ingested it, but this choice was apparently abandoned after the USDA approved warfarin for hog killing. Texas is subsequently giving up funding for research into hog control ($900K per year) as well because of the approval of warfarin use.

To be used, it must be in specialty traps by licensed individuals who have had training in its use. Hogs must be first trained on how to use the traps before introducing the poison which will require multiple feedings to be lethal. Once lethal, the process must start again with new hogs, teaching them how to use the traps...

There is a petition started to put a halt to the use of this product before it gets started.
    http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/pyrethrins-ziram/warfarin-ext.html

You can also contact your state representatives about this...
    http://gis1.tlc.state.tx.us/mobile/fyi/
    Military Camp

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Wow! What could possibly go worng? I am reminded of Timic & the problems it caused. Yes, spelling nazis, wrong is misspelled - intentionally ala the movie Westworld.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Warfarin has been around for over 70 years and used in humans daily.

I haven't seen any valid argument against it, yet....

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Neighbor used it on ground squirrels at his ranch. Cost me a good dog when she ate the sick ones. Bad stuff.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Warfarin has been around for over 70 years and used in humans daily.

I haven't seen any valid argument against it, yet....

But the dosage is monitored and regulated by a doctor. If eating a hog that's been poisoned what dosage are you ingesting? Can easily be life threatening especially if your already on warfarin.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Good old fashion hunting seems like a much better approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Saw some rat bait once that was treated milo and other seeds. Of course your use is off label.

Yep.

Of cource the warfarin can simply be mixed with deer corn and put into deer proof hog feeders. The trick is getting it in big enough quantity to kill hogs.

Another option is good old antifreeze and corn. Likewise, when put in deer proof feeders it kills hogs for pennies on the dollar.

If the idea is to kill pigs we have to accept some non-target losses. If the idea is to make money we can keep going down the road we are on but it's like trying to kill roaches by shooting them with BB guns.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    From the Facebook posts it seems the perception is landowners are bitching about hog damage then in the sane breath asking $300 plus for the opportunity to shoot them. Myself I have no problem with poisoning them if we can do so with 100% certainty that those hunting and eating hogs won't be poisoned in the process too.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    According to the gact sheet, bords don't seem to be affected by it much.
    Mammals, not so much. It will kill mammals that feed on the carcass. Including coyotes and foxes and felines.
    Rident populations then go up. Along with snake populations. Which seem to be going up the last few years anyway.
    And every time government has tried one of these eradication programs, they have very bad consequences. Government approved does not equal it's a good thing.

from an idgit coffeeholic

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    when I heard a new poison was approved, I thought it was the nitrate
    I guess that made too much sense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    From the Facebook posts it seems the perception is landowners are bitching about hog damage then in the sane breath asking $300 plus for the opportunity to shoot them. Myself I have no problem with poisoning them if we can do so with 100% certainty that those hunting and eating hogs won't be poisoned in the process too.

Those are typically not the same land owners.

One sees a business opportunity. The other sees a bunch of idiots that will do more damage than the hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Where you look for information can be biased with their interpretation of the data on both sides of the debate....

"Secondary Warfarin poisoning poses a slight risk to birds and a low risk to mammals."

The rodenticides with high secondary poisoning risks to birds such as hawks and owls include difethialone, brodifacoum, and possibly bromadiolone (see Table 3).23 The rodenticides that pose the greatest secondary poisoning risks for wild mammals, dogs and cats include chlorophacinone, diphacinone, bromadiolone, and brodifacoum. Bromethalin and cholecalciferol may pose secondary risks but these risks have not been measured.2

23. Saravanan, K.; Kanakasabai, R. Evaluation of secondary poisoning of difethialone, a new second-generation anticoagulant rodenticide to barn owl, Tyto alba Hartert under captivity. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 2004, 42, 1013- 1016.

2. Erickson, W.; Urban, D. Potential Risks of Nine Rodenticides to Birds and Nontarget Mammals: a Comparative Approach; U.S Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Prevention, Pesticides, and Toxic Substances, Office of Pesticide Programs, U.S. Govenrment Printing Office: Washington, DC, 2004.

Data here

I am not supporting poisoning hogs with Warfarin. It may well be a bad idea. It may be a good idea..... However, when only presented with one side of facts, a person cannot make a sound decision. All data and their sources must be considered to make a logical rather than an emotional decision.

jmho...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom