• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    They used to control coyotes by using a sterilizing chemical in bait.
    Why wouldn't that work for pigs?
    Hurley's Gold

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    What's the going rate for burying a sounder of pigs 18 inches deep? Pest control companies are going to need construction equipment.

Bury them? They will be scattered over an area that's measured in square miles. You won't ever find most of them. Unless you watch for soon to be dead buzzards.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Look at the success of poisoning fire ants. At this point. I think they're getting high off the poison. No natural predator.

You can expect the same scenario with pigs. More intelligent than a mangy coyote. They will start avoiding the bait and traps in no time. A few of the dummies will die from the poison. Normal thinning of the heard.

Adding a predator will control the population. But nobody wants a 60# wolf walking the side of the highway. Or a black bear tearing the garbage up.

Porky Pig is here to stay. If the ranchers either paid or offered it for free to hunt the Damn things. There'd be a lot less crop damage. $2000+ for a hog hunt package? Two hog total with a crazy trophy fee???

Don't bitch if the hogs are tearing your place up.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    They used to control coyotes by using a sterilizing chemical in bait.
    Why wouldn't that work for pigs?

Govt trapper is on our deer lease. Currently have 3 cyanide bait bombs there. Wonder if something like that would be better. Instant kill or near instant. Just thinking out loud. Not even sure if it could be delivered in the same manner to a pig.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Porky Pig is here to stay. If the ranchers either paid or offered it for free to hunt the Damn things. There'd be a lot less crop damage. $2000+ for a hog hunt package? Two hog total with a crazy trophy fee???

If the Hunters didn't cause more problems than the hogs, that might happen.

I've not seen any $2000 hog hunts that didn't have some other niceties thrown in, and usually it's the big cabin full of amenities that would constitute the price of such a high end hog hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Probably not the best idea as they would need to be hog-specific and likely would be very limited in effectiveness. One bomb might only get 1-3 hogs, so you would need over a million bombs with a 100% success rate. To make a bomb that would kill large groups of hogs would kill a lot of other animals. I don't think that idea would fly..

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Bouncing Bettie, we need that...

On a serious note. Is anyone looking into other reasons for deciding on warafin? Who's lobbying and who's getting kickbacks?

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Look at the success of poisoning fire ants. At this point. I think they're getting high off the poison. No natural predator.

You can expect the same scenario with pigs. More intelligent than a mangy coyote. They will start avoiding the bait and traps in no time. A few of the dummies will die from the poison. Normal thinning of the heard.

Adding a predator will control the population. But nobody wants a 60# wolf walking the side of the highway. Or a black bear tearing the garbage up.

I tried to put poison on an ant nest the other day. They came out, jacked my car and stole my wallet.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I'm kind of confused. I've wanted to try hog hunting, but generally found that having to pay money to help someone rid pests off their property didn't appeal to me. So land owners hinder hunters by charging fees and then wonder how the piggy population grows and grows.

Honest answers. Are there enough hunters out there that could help control the population if they had easier access to hunting areas?

What more damage are hunters causing than the pigs?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm kind of confused. I've wanted to try hog hunting, but generally found that having to pay money to help someone rid pests off their property didn't appeal to me. So land owners hinder hunters by charging fees and then wonder how the piggy population grows and grows.

Honest answers. Are there enough hunters out there that could help control the population if they had easier access to hunting areas?

What more damage are hunters causing than the pigs?

Talk to some land owners about hunting on their property. When they decline, ask them about their past experiences.

It doesn't take long to understand why they don't trust you.

One example, pigs will tear up an area. Hunters will create ruts all over the property because they don't give a damn, it's not theirs.

That's the root of the issue though, many don't respect their own possessions, and have even less respect for someone else's. The farmer knows what damage the pigs will do. The hunter can go far beyond.

A lot of folks I've talked to used to let people hunt, but after getting burned multiple times started saying no.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    The hunters on our property last season left an open trash fire burning in the wood line unattended. Oh yea... they also thought they owned the place and had rights to do as they please. We kicked them all off since hunters are more of a problem than the pigs. They are why we don't want anyone on our property. Here is something epic they were doing as well. These hunters had been hunting on our place for decades, and we charged them $0.00 to hunt on hundreds of acres. I guarantee you one of them was charging the others to hunt our property, and controlling access to who hunts the place. It was totally out of control!

I get a kick reading that allowing hunters on property will take care of the problem. Like the pigs are just standing there waiting for you to show up. NOT!

Last edited:

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Just contacted my State Representative's office and told them my concern about having a "poison piggy" ending up in my freezer. They said it's the first they had heard about it, but will get back to me.
    Maybe I'm being being naive, but if landowners got a referral, some sort of contract, and a damage deposit from potential hog hunters, you'd think that would "thin out" the idiots.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Y'all just hunting hogs in the wrong places.
    Head on down to the Dew Drop Inn on Friday night. Her name is Lurleen.

Just ask Sterling. LoL.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just contacted my State Representative's office and told them my concern about having a "poison piggy" ending up in my freezer. They said it's the first they had heard about it, but will get back to me.
    Maybe I'm being being naive, but if landowners got a referral, some sort of contract, and a damage deposit from potential hog hunters, you'd think that would "thin out" the idiots.

A neighbors cow ain't cheap. That's a big deposit.

I know a few people who've gotten permission to hunt different properties. They put a ton of work in to building relationships and leaving properties (literally) in better shape than they found them.

It's not impossible, but most prefer than 4 legged pests to the 2 legged.

I'll also say I don't hear all that many ranchers really whining about hogs. Those that are really having an issue may be more open. I used to hunt a watermelon patch that was being destroyed.

Then some other guys started hunting it to, burying their trucks in the sand, running over the crops, and other general stupidity.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    A neighbors cow ain't cheap. That's a big deposit...

It's not impossible, but most prefer than 4 legged pests to the 2 legged.

You're not going to get any argument from me. I consider myself very fortunate that my neighbor trusts me enough to let me target shoot and harvest any hogs I see in his hay field.
    Sure would like to see a better solution than poison, though.

Top Bottom