• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A father and son who operate a large potato farm in northern Wisconsin have agreed to pay $100,000 in restitution in connection with the poisoning deaths of more than 70 wild animals, including at least two bald eagles.
    Restitution to who? Wild animals don't belong to anyone...
    ARJ Defense ad

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Restitution to who? Wild animals don't belong to anyone...

Actually, wild animals do belong to someone, and generally speaking, that is the State. The state is generally the caretaker and hence owner of the wildlife. This falls under state ownership doctrine.

In other news, an injunction against Miller's approval of Warfarin has been awarded...

Press Release
    Texas Hog Hunters Association
    March 2, 2017

This afternoon, State District Judge Jan Soifer issued a temporary restraining order enjoining Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller and the Texas Department of Agriculture from implementing the “emergency rule” that they had issued to try to facilitate the use of rat poison across Texas lands for feral hogs. Specifically, Judge Soifer’s Order stated in part that Defendants Sid Miller and the Department “did not follow the requirements of the Texas Administrative Procedure Act . . . and so therefore the rule is invalid.”

The Plaintiff in the case was Wild Boar Meats, L.L.C, a feral-hog processing business headquartered in Hubbard, Texas. The Texas Hog Hunters Association (THHA) and the Environmental Defense Fund also intervened in the case on the side of Wild Boar Meats.

Eydin Hanson, Vice President of THHA, said “15,000 members and supporters of THHA have signed a petition against this ill-advised rule. Spreading rat poison across Texas lands would hurt Texas hunters, Texas hunting-supply businesses, Texas feral-hog meat processing businesses, Texas ranchers, and the Texas environment. We are very grateful that Judge Soifer ruled in our favor. We hope that Commissioner Miller will now follow the law and allow public comment and careful consideration before proposing use of any poison on feral hogs. The emergency rule would have damaged feral-hog control in Texas rather than helping it. We urge all Texans to contact their elected representatives to make sure that Texas lands are not poisoned in this manner.”

Basically, Miller's "fast-track" ploy was at the expensive of following the rules.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Actually, wild animals do belong to someone, and generally speaking, that is the State. The state is generally the caretaker and hence owner of the wildlife. This falls under state ownership doctrine.
    75815516.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The folks at the local gun shop were discussing this injunction on Friday. This is a smoking hot issue on the east side of Houston and plenty of people are irate about introducing poison into the food chain.

This is the DDT poison fiasco all over again! DDT began to appear in every facet of Human life. Everything that we touched or ate had DDT residue on or in it. Once you introduce poison into the food chain, it's virtually impossible to get it OUT of the food chain!

Rachel Carson wrote a book entitled "Silent Spring" about the poisoning and resultant contamination. It refers to the silence that occurs when all the birds and critters are laying dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring

Flash

Last edited:

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    [h=1]District judge pulls pork poison plan in Texas[/h]http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/district-judge-pulls-pork-poison-plan-in-texas/recreation-leisure

Feral hogs in the state of Texas just got a reprieve from the new and controversial hog poison recently approved by Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller in the form of a temporary injunction issued by a Travis County district judge.
    Will this be the end of the road for the warfarin-based hog poison known as Kaput? Or will another shoe drop in the near future?
    Amid the howls of outrage from a large segment of the Texas hunting community, Wild Boar Meats, a company based in Hubbard, Texas, asked for a temporary injunction preventing the use of warfarin as a hog poison in the immediate future.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    That's just it, 40Arpent, it is approved by the USDA and Sid Miller approved it for Texas, potentially under a fast-tracked and not proper set of emergency guidelines, but when the injunction ends in a couple of weeks, if nothing else is in place, the Warfarin is back on the menu. A House Bill has already been submitted to make it illegal (given a bunch of parameters), but not sure when that will go through or that it necessarily will.

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope it gets released soon. To me wild hogs are more destructive than rats, a scourge on this earth.

I never saw them 20 years ago, truly a feral animal.

Most people that have hog damaged crops, hay meadows, or pastures can't wait.

They have literally destroyed my pastures, they root around the equipment shed dripline to the point I can't get equipment out.

I have multiple double electric fences to try to keep them out where practical but that has gotten to be another major expense.

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you have a place for your hog cemetery picked out?

Perhaps I don't understand the intent behind the question.

Wild hogs will die in the same places they die now- no different than before Warfarin. Only a small fraction are harvested.

The meat won't be toxic, I have read the research.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Ready.Fire.Aim,

That's the same thing that the government said about DDT & THALIDOMIDE.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ready.Fire.Aim,

That's the same thing that the government said about DDT & THALIDOMIDE.

yours, satx

Unacceptable comparison. That is hyperbole to create emotion, not based on facts about this product.

Significant research was conducted by to understand the impact from deceased hogs that consumed warfarin.

The risk to the environment comes if the baiting station aren't used, it can impact other species thus the restriction to licensed applicators.

I am a licensed applicator, am willing to go through the training and permitting on properly using the bait stations, and will have no reservations using it.

Respectfully
    RFA

Last edited:

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
    This product may be toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife. Dogs and other predatory and scavenging mammals andbirds might be poisoned if they feed upon animals that have eaten the bait. Do not apply this product directly towater, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high-water mark. Do notcontaminate water when disposing of equipment wash waters.

SURVEILLANCE AND FOLLOW-UP:
    Dead hogs may begin to appear in or near the treatment areas within 4 to 7days after bait placement. Applicators must return to the treatment site within 4 days after the first bait placementswere made, and at 2- to 4-day intervals thereafter, to inspect the site for evidence of dead or dying feral hogs and/ordead nontarget animals. All carcasses found must be disposed of properly. Carcasses may be buried on site in holes dug deeply enough that the entire carcass is at least 18 inches below the ground surface. Cover buriedcarcasses up to the level of the surrounding ground. If burial is not practical (e.g., due to frozen or extremely hardground) and other disposal methods are allowed by State and local authorities, carcasses may be disposed of byother methods to ensure that carcasses are not accessible to scavengers. Continue to monitor the treatment area tocollect and dispose of feral hogs and to search for non-target animals for at least two weeks after the removal of allbait from the hog feeders. Deaths of any animals other than feral hogs that appear to be the result of baiting with thisproduct must be reported to State authorities

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Perhaps I don't understand the intent behind the question.

Wild hogs will die in the same places they die now- no different than before Warfarin. Only a small fraction are harvested.

The meat won't be toxic, I have read the research.

All hogs have to be buried.

As a licensed applicator, I figured you'd know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom