• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I had two ideas on how to deal with this...

• Have a buddy record his attempted purchase of this, and pull a "gotcha" right before he pays.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    SO...

I go to look for "gun stuff" at Cash America Pawn. I spot an Eotech 552 behind the counter for 275 and think, well hell, I'd be an idiot not to buy this. So I ask to see it and I immediately can tell that the metal feels cheap. I press the NV button in the middle... The one that is supposed to make the "thingy" disappear so you can only see it with the magical goggle thingies. Guess what? Yea, turned green.

So here I am pitying the store, thinking damn these folks got ripped off. I proceed to tell the lady behind the counter, hey this is a fake. I go into all the ways you can spot a fake Eotech and educate the woman. She seems interested and shocked. Oh by the way it was in a legitimate Eotech box.

I give it back to her and wouldn't you know....... SHE PUTS IT BACK ON THE DAMNED SHELF. I say, "hey, you're not going to continue to sell that are you? I mean it'd be messed up to sell that to a guy who knows no better, for 275, those things are 80 bucks and wouldn't last on a real firearm". Her reply...

"Well yea, I have to. It was sold to us so we have to sell it"...

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 10.20.09 PM.png

Me: "Ha, no way, you're going to sell this to someone and cheat your customer, allowing them to think this is real?"

Her: "Well... It was sold to us to I have to sell it and they should know..."

Anyway that went back and fourth for about 8 rebuttals until I asked for the manager who simply smiled and nodded at me. I called another store to ask that manager what the hell the deal was with them selling a known fake as a the real deal. HIS response... "Maybe they'll just sell if for a little less..."

WHAT THE HELL?!

For some reason I had to fight the urge to run out with it and throw it as far as I could.

Don't shop there for guns, gun stuff, or anything for that matter. You have been warned.
    ARJ Defense ad

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 10.20.09 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 10.20.09 PM.png
      294.1 KB · Views: 646

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    It's like arguing about the spelling of "Dr Pepper" (no dot) with the checkout girl at Kroger. She don't care, she can't do shit about it, and is just doing what she's told.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    It's like arguing about the spelling of "Dr Pepper" (no dot) with the checkout girl at Kroger. She don't care, she can't do shit about it, and is just doing what she's told.

Wrong. I'd be way more invested in the spelling of Dr Pepper.

Seriously though, I don't see it that way. "Doing what I'm told" doesn't earn a pass, in my opinion.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Wrong. I'd be way more invested in the spelling of Dr Pepper.

Seriously though, I don't see it that way. "Doing what I'm told" doesn't earn a pass, in my opinion.

You might not see it that way. I mightn't either. But the lady behind the counter who makes $12/hr plus maybe commission sure as shit don't.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    You might not see it that way. I mightn't either. But the lady behind the counter who makes $12/hr plus maybe commission sure as shit don't.

Woh woh slow down there Kar. She DEFinitely does not make 12 dollars an hour. ;)

Yea I could see that she would think that way. Possibly afraid to lose her job, perhaps has a kid to feed... My reason for making the thread was that two out of two managers didn't seem to care either. So I just wanted to warn folks to steer clear of this place.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm more interested in how your sense of touch can instantly identify cheap metal.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I'm more interested in how your sense of touch can instantly identify cheap metal.

It's not texture or anything special. It's the weight and if you even barely tap your finger on the hood of the Eotech, you can tell the difference. The fakes almost feel ceramic.

This isn't the first time someone tried to knowingly or unknowingly sell me a fake Eotech, which is why I educated myself on how to tell the difference to begin with.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Steels , and aluminum alloys can weigh drastically different but weight has no bearing on quality or cost

Thst being said, I applaud your ability to spot a fake
    I was sold a Morgan Silver Dollar once that turned out fake and it was a slight difference in weight that would have proved it had I known.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Steels , and aluminum alloys can weigh drastically different but weight has no bearing on quality or cost

Thst being said, I applaud your ability to spot a fake
    I was sold a Morgan Silver Dollar once that turned out fake and it was a slight difference in weight that would have proved it had I known.

Yea, true. I wish I could more eloquently explain how they feel, relatively cause it's actually such a stark difference, I think people would be intrigued by it, silly as that may seem. If you tap a real hood with your nail, it's more of a thud. The fakes make more of a clink sound. I sound like a caveman explaining it, I'm sure haha but I'm not well versed on metals and what would produce the difference. My guess is the density more so than the material. The green reticle was the dead giveaway though.

As to the silver dollar, would it had been enough to actually tell the difference in the weight, by hand?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

This right here.

Life Tip #543 - Don't buy high end optics from places known to sell crap made from Chinesesium.
    They sell finely made Katana swords too!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have related this story a couple of times here but I will throw it out there again;

Went into a pawn shop and saw a Bersa .380 pistol with a price tag of $450 and a description as a Beretta .380.

I pointed this out to the manager and told him that a new Bersa .380 was less than $200.

This dickless wonder looks me in the eye and says “ it is a rare mismarked at the factory Beretta and that is why it is priced at $450.

At that point I may have said a couple of things questioning his intelligence then walked out of the store.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    As to the silver dollar, would it had been enough to actually tell the difference in the weight, by hand?

no
    It was off by a few grams and you need a scale to tell the difference.
    also there was some ferrous metal in the fake, so a magnet would have also helped detect the fake.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I have related this story a couple of times here but I will throw it out there again;

Went into a pawn shop and saw a Bersa .380 pistol with a price tag of $450 and a description as a Beretta .380.

I pointed this out to the manager and told him that a new Bersa .380 was less than $200.

This dickless wonder looks me in the eye and says “ it is a rare mismarked at the factory Beretta and that is why it is priced at $450.

At that point I may have said a couple of things questioning his intelligence then walked out of the store.

Hahaha "dickless wonder"... There are some amazing deals to be had at pawn shops but when things get silly, they get silly.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom