• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    This week, a father shot his son after an argument. The father claimed and he was trying to fire a warning shot and hit his son in the shoulder.

Unfortunately the father Missed his son's shoulder and shot his son in the chest and killed him.

Under Texas law, there is no such thing as a warning shot. Justifcation for the use of deadly force IS EITHER PRESENT or that justification is absent.

One should never fire a warning shot. There is no justification under the Texas penal code for a warning shot.

Further, you are responsible for every bullet that you send down range. When you fire a warning shot, you have no idea where that bullet is going or where that bullet will end up or, who that bullet may end up inside.

I can't think of any defensive deadly force scenario that ends with a warning short being the correct answer.

That father is now in the Liberty County Jail on charges up murder for the death of his son whom he states that he did not intend to kill. The real problem is that he would be in jail if he had not killed his son.

Warning shots . . . . Stupid and potentially fatal.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    There's many reasons not even LEO's use warning shots......

While we may never know his true intent and whether warning or not, either way he would and should end up incarcerated....

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Are CHL classes supposed to cover the topic of warning shots? I think it should be required that be part of the class. Before I became a gun owner and big into guns, I used to think warning shots were what you do because of the movies (I was under 18, and living in a family that doesn't like guns-I've come a long way. lol). Then, actually being around guns and learning gun safety, I saw the horror of that theory. More people need to get away from hollywood and learn this.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    because half of the people in CHL courses actually pay attention. half just argue with the instructor and are first time gun owners

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    mine was a bunch of morons arguing with the instructor I almost walked out it was almost 12 hours long because of those morons(probably 15 out of 30 or so people)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Anything but a shot on target is negligent. Any shot on target is lethal force.

And yes, a hit in the shoulder can very easily be lethal. Putting a hole in the brachial artery is immediately life-threatening.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Anything but a shot on target is negligent. Any shot on target is lethal force.

And yes, a hit in the shoulder can very easily be lethal. Putting a hole in the subclavian (upper thorax) or brachial artery (arm) is immediately life-threatening.

FIFY...
    beerchug_copy3.gif

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo