Was told I used too much frog lube paste.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I used to use only Hoppe's 9 Gun bore cleaner and gun medic lube. I got some frog lube clp paste after a coworker mentioned it to me. After my first range session with it, I noticed that it looks like I used way too much. Then I also noticed that after trying to clean up my slide, it still looked like it was all oiled up. More oiled then using my hoppes lube. I'm not sure I've ever used bore cleaner on my slide, just the whole barrel. Usually wipe the slide with patches and q tips and brush it, oil/lube.

(only photo I have of it, after first range session with frog lube paste)
    IMG_3298.JPG

I showed the same coworker this photo and was told I used too much and was only supposed to use a thin layer. Right now, my guns are about this same amount of frog lube, as I didn't mention it to coworker until a few days after cleaning. I'm not really sure how to get a thin layer with this stuff. It looks like there is a fair amount or none on it, when I try to apply it.

I have to say with at least my kimber, after putting that paste on it, it felt so smooth and such. I really question the hoppes gun medic lube. I always thought it was really runny and wondered if it actually stayed. It didn't really look too lubricated with it.

I tried to watch other people use frog lube paste, but they're like 15 minute videos... Then they also use like 5 other frog lube products/other product... Seems way overkill to me.

How do you use frog lube paste? Any easy/simpler ways? What I do seems like a simpler way, compared to other people.

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Lynx Defense

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The simpler way is light weight synthetic motor oil. Lots of people like Mobile 1. Wal-Mart will work. It doesn't take much. Your frame looks buttered. For the cost and design you don't have to grease it as much. You can run the dry, 25 rounds. Add a lube from there. It's not gonna hurt it.

2 cent

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I won't use it
    It's supposedly made from a food grade base oil
    I'll stick with what I know works

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I used it on some guns which ended up "sitting around", came back to them and it seemed like I had used wax almost.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Warm the metal parts with a blow drier, rub it on and allow to cool. Wipe of excess. Should look almost dry. Liquifies from shooting and friction. Does not take much to work.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Are y’all heat curing it or leaving it slopped on?

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...
    This, I haven't done any heat curing. I would probably stop using FL if I had to heat cure it. Motor oil would be my next product to try. I do wonder, why light weight oil? I think I have some 0w-20 left over from my honda... RIP little honda.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've read to many stories on this site and others about FrogLube building up and causing firing pins and other parts to stick, or guns not wanting to run in cold weather.

I've never had a failure with a gun using most any regular gun oil whether hot or cold. I can't think of any reason to switch to a product that could result in failures, even if those failures are caused by what seems to be not following a specific application process.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Another that works well for slides is synthetic grease. Brake caliper grease or mobil 1 grease.

There's an old saying- "oil if it turns, if it slides grease it" (paraphrasing) very small amount of grease required... just a thin film on contact areas

This is definately a subject you have to word carefully if you don't want to wind up in the out of context quote thread

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've never had any problems using FL. I use a heat gun to warm up the parts almost too hot to handle, then apply the paste with a small brush. Acid brushes work well. Let it cool down and wipe off the excess with a rag. It will turn rancid tho if you leave it on too thick and store the weapon for a couple of months. No experience with how it performs in the cold. I'm not a hunter and if it gets below 50°, I don't go to the range. :)

Mrgunsandgear did a freezer test with Frog Lube on an AR and a Glock 19 and had no problems with either.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've read to many stories on this site and others about FrogLube building up and causing firing pins and other parts to stick, or guns not wanting to run in cold weather.

I've never had a failure with a gun using most any regular gun oil whether hot or cold. I can't think of any reason to switch to a product that could result in failures, even if those failures are caused by what seems to be not following a specific application process.
    Exactly
    What is the upside here?
    Wait..maybe its the minty scent

Top Bottom