• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Just boil it. Run it through a simple charcoal filter to get the chunks out and improve taste.

If you're concerned about toxic contaminates, then reverse osmosis or distillation are your only options. I'm not sure why people don't talk about using distillation more often... Perhaps because it's not as tacticool as reverse osmosis. It takes a little bit of skill to operate a still as well, but as long you throw away the first stuff to evaporate and the last then you've got the basics of it.
    Capitol Armory ad

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    As long as you have a way to boil the water.... sure.

I'm thinking about situations where the power is out and the water no longer comes out of the tap. For the least amount of $$ as possible.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I have a good quality portable filter - forget the brand, but a pump type backpacking filter that's part of my portable kit.

But for general and ongoing use, I'm thinking of getting one of those zero home filters.

There are big, canister type filters available - I can think of one that is sold on Frugal Squirrel's forum for example. Those are great, but cost quite a bit more than a Walmart stocked zero.

My goal is to once again get a place in the country and drill my own well - and hopefully have good, clean water that way. But for now, I have to consider that my water source could devolve into buckets hauled from Lady Bird lake....
    Hope you make that goal happen. What if you got a line and manual pump to a container? Or just bucket into a container. The container can then be treated?

For portable or even shtf home use I like life straws too.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Yes, I can make fire. I have all kinds of camping and backpacking equipment in storage. I just can't keep any fuel right now...

My longer term goal is to get a place in the country again and have my own well and solar/wind power set-up.

But for now, I have to deal with living in the city in a condo.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    But for now, I have to deal with living in the city in a condo.
    I rode out the aftermath of a hurricane in a shitty studio apartment once. Power was out for about two weeks. Water came back on in 3 or 4 days, but you had to boil it to use it. I wasn't "prepared" in the least, but was resourceful enough that I didn't have to go stand asses to elbows with the other folks to get food and water. I cut up and bent and large bean can into a little stove so I could heat up food and water. I gave my neighbor some candles and he acted like I saved his life :laughing:

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My whole rainwater system on my house is UV treated and then double filtered for regular use. The drinking water goes through a charcoal filter. I've thought about having a well drilled as an alternative source of water, but we would just buy drinking water anyways. It's hard for us to drink well water after we've been spoiled with rain purity. I would seriously look into a catchment system if you like good water. You could put it in yourself if you're a little crafty and not afraid to sweat.

My other filters are Lifestraws and Sawyer filters.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My water filter is a British Berkefeld which uses two Stainless steel tanks. It's a very high quality filter unit. The top tank gravity feeds through the filters into the bottom tank. I have a full supply of ceramic filters for the unit.

I won't use the filter unless the SHTF for sure. It's for a last ditch stand at the home.

Flash

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I probably drove people crazy a couple of years ago with this thread I started...
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/filter-system-for-brackish-water.79431/
    Maybe you'll find something in there that helps.
    Since that time I've had a tank bulldozed so I'd have sufficient water for a garden & the fruit trees.
    I also got some powdered "bleach" for disinfecting the tank water for drinking.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Sure, yes, reverse osmosis and ionization purifiers are great. The thing is will you have the water pressure to make the RO unit work? How about electricity for the ionization or UV light units? Yes, you could utilize solar panels or a wind turbine but the thing is - this all runs into some money that I don't have right now. I'm working on getting to the point I can do that but not at the moment, so practically....
    How are you going to get water out of your well in the country without electricity? I don't know how easy it would be to install a manual well pump in line or in place of the electric pump.

66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    I also use the Omni filters but they're 5 micron for our 2 stage whole house system.
    Then I use a Sawyer for the drinking & cooking water.
    I'm always looking for a better filtration system

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I knew a family that used a whole house distillation system on their well. They had to replace it every few years because their well was pretty caustic. This was about 35 years ago.

Top Bottom