• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I bought the place 3.5 years ago but just moved in full-time a few months ago. In the beginning, I was only here on weekends, once or twice a month, and always threw the breaker to the water heater (electric) and shut off the water supply to the house when leaving. The water heater looked new until the rust stripe appeared a few days ago and I noticed the floor was wet. I figured I could limp it along a few more days until one of my sons came to visit and be able to help. No such luck! It dropped to 36 degrees here last night and I had zero hot (stone cold!) water this morning.
    I have it disconnected and draining right now. I plan to pick up a new one from Lowe's while I'm in town tomorrow.
    Thankfully, it is on the ground level of the washroom and there is a drain right in front off it!
    Like I said, it LOOKS new, but the manufacture date shows "2010", so I guess that's about right,.

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    Did you look for the source of the leak? I had a leak earlier this year from a 7-8 year old water heater. Turns out the lower heating element had plastic threads that had worked loose presumably from constant heating then cooling then re-heating.
    I tried tightening the element but never got it below a slow seep so I just replaced the element for about $25 as opposed to replacing the entire unit.

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Our water heater has some type of agitator in it on the cold water side. "Roto Swirl" is the marketing name of the device. It has been running for at least 18 or so years.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    GAS.
    Electric water heater sux
    And IF you have hard water ala SA TX and its elec plain on a mew one every 10 or so.
    As mentioned draining yrly helps but the electrolysis created attracts all the hard sediment to the element.

I have had them so caked you can not remove it from the unit due to build up of lime on it.

My current Gas unit is pushing 20yo now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Replaced a few of those in my years.

Fun when the sediment is so bad you can't drain and have to move it still full of water.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    GAS.
    Electric water heater sux
    And IF you have hard water ala SA TX and its elec plain on a mew one every 10 or so.
    As mentioned draining yrly helps but the electrolysis created attracts all the hard sediment to the element.

I have had them so caked you can not remove it from the unit due to build up of lime on it.

My current Gas unit is pushing 20yo now.

I have a gas one too but it is a bitch to light the pilot. Used to be easy with a match, no longer. Had to call a plumber last time it went out.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I have a gas one too but it is a bitch to light the pilot. Used to be easy with a match, no longer. Had to call a plumber last time it went out.

Some now have electronic as do furnaces. My house is 100% gas I will never own a stove heater or water heater thats elec again.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have an all electric house. No natural gas supply as I live substatially off the beaten path. I'd love to go with propane, but there are reasons I have not.
    I do, however, plan to upgrade to a propane stovetop and supply it via portable/refillable tanks at a future date.

Top Bottom