• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Three back surgeries over the last 25 years from an accident. I pay people to do the things I don't want to do now. I tell them they are here so my wife has someone else to complain about besides me. Takes some of the load off. :)

My wife "complained" about how I was doing a repair once not long after we got married.

I handed her the tools, went and sat down. She has not since "complained" or questioned how I do repairs any more!
    ARJ Defense ad

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I just realized I had to replace the water heater at the house in LaPorte last year right after Christmas!
    That one was natural gas and on a pedestal in the garage. It was 30 years old, and HEAVY - even when drained. I replaced it alone, by myself, and was down with sciatica off and on for weeks - I'm talking sleep-on-the-floor sciatica! Only the TENS unit saved me.
    The list of things I used to do, and now PAY others to do, is growing annually.
    Thankfully, this electric heater was light and easy to install.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    It is the old ones that are difficult to deal with. Water and sediment buildup really add to the weight. The new one was much lighter but due to the size, more difficult to manage to get into the closet. Fortunately you don't need to show the old one any mercy when getting it out and disposing of it. I try and use a lot of mechanical advantage now days instead of brute strength. Takes longer though.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Old water heaters also can be used to make a pretty good grill too. Strip off all the insulation and the fittings, cut in half, add some hinges and some grates for the coals and to cook on.

Easy peasy!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I set mine out in front of the garage Friday night when I was done. Ready to haul it to the dump in the morning. Later that evening someone knocked on my door and asked if I wanted that HW heater. It was gone in 5 min. I just buy a nice grill and have them deliver it ready to go now.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Your softener should* be able to keep up with the SAWS mineral supply. Ours does after a short discussion on how to program it with the plumber across the street.

Not all softener controllers allow the adjustability ours does, but most do.
    We're on a well. Are you well or SAWS?

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    +1 on Tankless. When our tanker went out 6 years ago, we had a 3-element tankless installed. Had to run 3 8-gage lines from 3 40-amp circuit breakers, but it wasn't that difficult as they ran through the attic space. Sure is nice to take long hot showers, both at the same time in our double shower. EcoSmart 27

When we added a garage and apartment we installed a 2-element tankless for the apartment and also the clothes washer in the garage. If I were to do it again I'd just go with the 3-element unit here as well, because it's tricky to balance heat vs flow. Not much price difference. EcoSmart 18

We are supporting two households like this on one 200-amp service with no issues, as all 5 elements have never been on at the same time. Highest electric bill so far is $240. Phone support is great. The units are easy to work on if you have an issue.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    The plumber installed a pan under everything that is drained to the outside yard in the new install. I installed the last one 17 years ago. Pans weren't really known to me then. Good thing to have though as it flooded the whole first floor of my house when the tank let go and it just kept filling and spilling until I shut the main off in the morning. A basin would have done no good. That only really helps if the drain valve is leaking, which is common. I had such a time this time trying to get a 50 gallon stuffed back into the closet. Next time gas tankless.
    If there is a pan under it, I'll notice as soon as it starts to leak.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    +1 on Tankless. When our tanker went out 6 years ago, we had a 3-element tankless installed. Had to run 3 8-gage lines from 3 40-amp circuit breakers, but it wasn't that difficult as they ran through the attic space. Sure is nice to take long hot showers, both at the same time in our double shower. EcoSmart 27

When we added a garage and apartment we installed a 2-element tankless for the apartment and also the clothes washer in the garage. If I were to do it again I'd just go with the 3-element unit here as well, because it's tricky to balance heat vs flow. Not much price difference. EcoSmart 18

We are supporting two households like this on one 200-amp service with no issues, as all 5 elements have never been on at the same time. Highest electric bill so far is $240. Phone support is great. The units are easy to work on if you have an issue.

For what a plumber and an electrician would charge to do a tankless water heater in my home, I can buy 10 water heaters and do the job myself, or even pay a plumber to install five.

At my age, I'm not going to see five more water heaters more than likely!

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I just realized I had to replace the water heater at the house in LaPorte last year right after Christmas!
    That one was natural gas and on a pedestal in the garage. It was 30 years old, and HEAVY - even when drained. I replaced it alone, by myself, and was down with sciatica off and on for weeks - I'm talking sleep-on-the-floor sciatica! Only the TENS unit saved me.
    The list of things I used to do, and now PAY others to do, is growing annually.
    Thankfully, this electric heater was light and easy to install.

I had sciatica so bad I was considering surgery (you know I was desperate because I have a very high pain threshold). I began using the Robin Mc Kinzie exercises, and I bought an inversion board. Two weeks an I was good.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Scoundrels. Jinxed my water heater.

Had been in the house since we moved in. Drain valve was position where I could not get to it to backflush the tank annually like I normally due. So I was not surprised it went, as it was considerably past its expected life.

Of course drain valve by now was plugged. Opened it and nada. So had to move the heater plus 400 pounds of water off the low shelf and out into the garage. Nothing broken. (On me or the house.)

Took longer to move things out of the way to get to it than to do the actual install.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I had sciatica so bad I was considering surgery (you know I was desperate because I have a very high pain threshold). I began using the Robin Mc Kinzie exercises, and I bought an inversion board. Two weeks an I was good.
    Ditto here on the benefits of an inversion table.

Top Bottom