• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So we mostly dodged many bullets with the freeze last week.

But today, our 9 year old water heater decided to stop working. Pilot is lit, Honeywell gas valve blinks once every three seconds, indicating no faults. No leaks.

I’m thinking the gas valve itself is the culprit.

Question:
    Would you replace the gas valve alone for $200-ish and hope for the best? It’s special order so I can’t return it.

Or should I just replace the unit since it’s 9 years old.

Or is there something else I should check?

It’s a Lochnivar heater if that makes a difference...

7cb63b0d4be3f53a0af962f1c5570fc0.jpg
    8b8b4a2773bf7c7c5117d7bf6c34cc0e.jpg
    0b77143a51679c915bfa76b3fad0e06b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Capitol Armory ad

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Nine years old? Personally I would not spend $200+ to repair if I could afford to replace the entire water heater.

Yeah that’s where my head is at. The darned thing looks brand new, but it’s still 9 years old so I’m probably pushing my luck.

When mine needs replacing I'm thinking on demand hot water heater. Supposed to last twice as long and cut energy by 40%.

For sure, but I’m also looking at 3x the purchase price plus I’d likely need to run a new gas line.

Not gonna happen right now with the new baby and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    9 years is a long time. Id replace the whole thing. Might look good on the outside, but you can never look on the inside of one of those things. Id say its at the ticking time bomb phase of its life cycle right now

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I think I will be buying an "on demand" water heater when mine go out next time. I've got electric water heaters and have replaced the elements a couple of times already. I've got some friends that are now using the "on demand" heaters and they really like them.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    It's a rural problem, I suppose, but a neighbor found the negative of on demand during the blizzard... With his well pumping to above ground storage tanks, the water was near freezing, and on demand can only raise water temperature by some X degrees over ambient. The water coming out of his heater was still cold, made only some better by decreasing the flow rate through the heater.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Have you ever flushed your water heater out? They build up calcium on the bottoms. Many times your just heating up the mud on the bottom. Turn you water supply off & drain it see what comes out. once it empty fill it & drain it until the mud stops flowing out. My dad did it once a year on his & it lasted 20 years.
    Absolutely agree with the above!!

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Replace & hopefully no issues for a long time. This place we bought 4 years ago has filters & water softeners. My first experience with them & they really make a huge difference.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Not sure why a new regulator would be $200+. I replaced the one on our 20-y/o WH last year for about $35, IIRC. Took 10 minutes. Works like a charm, no problems.
    WHs have gotten creepily expensive/overpriced plus mandatory city installation would bring the total to over a grand. No, thank you, I will delay that expense until it is actually necessary. If they won't let me replace my own WH, there is no need for me to feed them more often than needed.
    But that's just my opinion, not trying to tell anyone what to do.

Reactions: gll

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Have you ever flushed your water heater out? They build up calcium on the bottoms. Many times your just heating up the mud on the bottom. Turn you water supply off & drain it see what comes out. once it empty fill it & drain it until the mud stops flowing out. My dad did it once a year on his & it lasted 20 years.
    Absolutely agree with the above!!

Agreed. I drain mine and flush it out every spring. Started doing that when I replaced it the last time.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Twice a year works even better!

Putting a water softener on it is even better, ya cheapskate....lol

WRT the "instant-heat" units....you'll likely need to upsize the utilities to it - that can sometimes require upsizing all the way back to the main supply. I don't play w/gas heaters unless they're in my own home - and the city can KMA about the permits and such.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    I know how you feel . I went through this same situation last year. You have to go with your gut feeling. It’s really a catch 22 , if you spend 200 on repairs and it works then your ahead of the game.if it does not then your out 200 . Considering the the age of your heater it may be wise to replace it. Mine was 10.5 years old and that’s what I did , just saying . Good luck!

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I had a water heater go bad, calcium was over the bottom element in an electric heater. Well water upstate NY, didn't know about draining the tank.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom