• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm currently tapped into mainline feeding 3 other folks besides me. I wanna get a water meter installed on my line going to the house so I can start documenting my monthly usage. I looked on Amazon and a couple supply houses. I know nothing about water meters. Thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction for a reputable company. I don't need anything crazy.... but also don't want junk.
    Texas SOT

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have been looking too for a water meter for a secondary application. All the ones I have found are usually sourced from industrial supply places, and they ain't cheap. The cheapest ones are well north of $500. Some are even well over $1000.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Start looking at 1" flow meters. One that has reset/zeroing capabilites may benefit your intended use. By 1" I mean inlet/outlet.
    Roger that.

Call whoever is supplying your water. They usually have a crew that does it.
    They won't. We tried. They stopped at the ranch entrance... they said "no mas"

Is the water free, or is it currently being split 4 ways?
    It's being split 4 ways. I would like to just get an idea on our usage.

Put this on my boat; works great. Can be read mechanically or output electronically.
    Roger that.
    I have been thinking that we need one, also. I tried searching for USA made just now and came up empty. Anyone have better luck?
    Agreed... USA would be nice.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Check with your water company and see of they offer a rebate on any of them. Here in satx there is one water meter that they offer a nice rebate for that covers most of the costs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Of course, as far as equal split, you would need to know everybody's individual use.
    But, you already realize this.
    Yeah man, we have a good thing going and I'm not really wanting to rock the boat. It's not too expensive. I won't use it to nickle and dime anyone. I would like to just track our usage. That's all....

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thought I'd update this. I went this route. It seems to be quality. I'll update again after a few months of use. Planning on getting it installed this weekend.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I'm currently tapped into mainline feeding 3 other folks besides me. I wanna get a water meter installed on my line going to the house so I can start documenting my monthly usage.

This sounds highly suspect... Can I ask who is the main person on the account? Also, does the water utility know what is going on because if this is an apartment complex, strip mall, or duplex this is not the way it should be set up?

IMO, the plan is not worth the effort. It is better to call the water department and let them know you want your own meter and your own account. A big caveat though, if the connection is illegal there may be consequences.

The fees to do this work right will be about the same to install your own meter on the line. Secondly, who is going to do the work for you? Secured (legal) water connections at the main require a signed and sealed drawing asserting that proper connections (to code) were made, utility easements are properly identified, compaction of the soil of 95 to 98% was made and done to the satisfaction of the utility and at the proper lifts. Make sure that you are not digging up the connection near an easement that does not belong to you. The moment you decide to dig the work becomes 100% yours and if you make any mistakes and/or the work is not up to code they will disconnect you it will cost you double or triple to get it fixed. Also, if you tap into the main incorrectly you can have a real mess on your hands because you don't have the means to shut off the main. The list goes on, but finally, if any leaks develop in the future, you will be responsible for the work because you made the connection.

Leave the work and the responsibility to get it done right to the water company. Any leaks that develop at the connection will be on them, and of course, anything on your property is on you.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This sounds highly suspect... Can I ask who is the main person on the account? Also, does the water utility know what is going on because if this is an apartment complex, strip mall, or duplex this is not the way it should be set up?

IMO, the plan is not worth the effort. It is better to call the water department and let them know you want your own meter and your own account. A big caveat though, if the connection is illegal there may be consequences.

The fees to do this work right will be about the same to install your own meter on the line. Secondly, who is going to do the work for you? Secured (legal) water connections at the main require a signed and sealed drawing asserting that proper connections (to code) were made, utility easements are properly identified, compaction of the soil of 95 to 98% was made and done to the satisfaction of the utility and at the proper lifts. Make sure that you are not digging up the connection near an easement that does not belong to you. The moment you decide to dig the work becomes 100% yours and if you make any mistakes and/or the work is not up to code they will disconnect you it will cost you double or triple to get it fixed. Also, if you tap into the main incorrectly you can have a real mess on your hands because you don't have the means to shut off the main. The list goes on, but finally, if any leaks develop in the future, you will be responsible for the work because you made the connection.

Leave the work and the responsibility to get it done right to the water company. Any leaks that develop at the connection will be on them, and of course, anything on your property is on you.
    I appreciate the info OZ.

We have a unusual setup. The utility stops at the main gate to the ranch entrance. Their meter is there. Everything past is ours.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    It sure sounds like it. If this is all on the level, you can install an above-ground meter in your utility cabinet (where your 3/4" line comes in from the outside) and of course after your shutoff valve in your garage. This way you can shut off the water from the inside if any leaks occur during installation or in the future. If you want accurate readings from month to month, don't go for a cheap one. Use a Rainbird or Toro brand meter.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Rainbird/Toro....neither make their own - they're private labeled. The Neptune unit referenced earlier is pretty good - but IMO, the Badger meters are the Gold Standard. They cost a bit more, but I've seen them run 20+ years trouble-free. AAMOF, there's some out there that I installed back in the early 80's that are still accurately recording.

For whatever reason, the Amazon link I'm posting won't show up - but search
    Badger Meter RD-T-5 Recordall Water Meter - 3/4 Polymer

Amazon product ASIN B00CT227AS

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR