• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    I set up 4 "rain barrels" around the house which I told my wife was for use in water planets and the yard. I'm going to pick up a 5th to keep in the garage which will have the stated use of emergency water supply. The Sawyer mini water filters seem to be pretty good. My water barrels are inverted with a garden hose size outlet tapped into 1 of the bung hole caps. Has anyone tried to adapt the Sawyer mini to a 3/4 garden hose thread? I'm thinking that with a series of adapters I can just connect one to the barrel I'm using and filter the water as I drain it from the water/rain barrel.
    DK Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    From the look of it. It's a 1/2" diameter inlet/outlet.

Female water hose thread to 1/2" hose barb. 1/2" ID clear vinyl hose off the filter. Zip tie for clamps if it needs it.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    ".. for use in water planets.."

Must be big barrels!

All kidding aside, you would really want to filter the water coming OUT of a barrel, not what you put in. You can get all sorts of biological stuff growing inside of a barrel, plus what the water might pick up from the barrel itself.

Also, make sure your rain barrels have screens to keep skeeters from breeding in them.

Unless of course you like skeeters - in which case I have a few billion of them in my yard thanks to the last couple of weeks of rain - and you're totally welcome to them.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Yeah my understand of rain water collection is to screen it going into a barrel but not necessarily filter it, then filter it on the "backside" as it gets used or before it gets used in something like an accumulator that feeds the rest of the house.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Rain collected in barrels ain't potable water. The biggest pain is keep mosquito larvae out the water.

I've poured concentrated bleach in a doggy pool with larvae. They kept on swimming. Even stirred the water up. There's nothing safe, drinkable, chemical wise that kill the larvae.

Not to mention all the bird and gecko crap that washes into the barrel.

It has to be filtered and boiled.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I'm not advocating drinking it, though it's safer with than without. I would filter and treat with chlorine bleach too though. I just posted to let people know there are effective mosquito treatments for standing water.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Damn....Someone always thinks it up first and a long time ago too. I thought about doing this:

th

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Unless something horrible happens, I only use rainwater collection to water the plants and ducks. The ducks love eating all the mosquito larva and any other bugs that fall in :laughing:

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    I have two barrels in the garage on a rack with water hose spickets. I fill them up with the plan to filter with sawyer when it comes out. I drain and refill them about every 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bigbill45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    And I'm still looking for viable barrels. So far I have 2, 55 gallon drums cleaned but previously used to transport bulk motor oil. Don't think these will work for sand purification unless I can completely sanitize them. Until I get that Googled, they're strictly rain water collection for garden. If you have knowledge of barrel sanitation that's tried and true. Please post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    It's cheaper to buy used food safe barrels. Where are you? Call local health foods places to find suppliers of their products. Places that produce organic foods and supplements get their components in barrels and then need to dispose of them. They will often have food safe barrels for a reasonable price.

Bigbill45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    I'm just north of Dallas. Great idea. Got a few of those stores in the area. Thank you Sir !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Rain collected in barrels ain't potable water. The biggest pain is keep mosquito larvae out the water.

I've poured concentrated bleach in a doggy pool with larvae. They kept on swimming. Even stirred the water up. There's nothing safe, drinkable, chemical wise that kill the larvae.

Not to mention all the bird and gecko crap that washes into the barrel.

It has to be filtered and boiled.

FWIW i had the same thing and tried the same stuff, but what worked for me was a couple of those wannabe M-80s they sell at the firework stands. water proof fuse and a decent bang above water, but the shockwave underwater killed the skeeters dead. now i keep a few on hand for standing water i notice with larvae swimming. kinda like fishing with dynamite, except tiny.

pro-tip, dont drop them against the side wall of the kiddy pool, it will blow a hole in the side.

Top Bottom