ARJ Defense ad

Ways to improve Kel-Tec .380 P3AT reliability?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I'm seeing that it has FTE, FTF, etc. problems right out of the box.
    I'm getting one delivered soon...and want to correct those issues.
    I wish I had not ordered it, since finding out that the slide does NOT stay open at last round...Damn It ~!!!
    But can you guys more knowledgeable in tweaking internals help me with dependability modifications, PLEASE?
    Venture Surplus ad

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Lol. Sell it new in box and buy the ruger.
    Curse me now but thanks me later. I have had three of those doppy little guns.
    1 for me 1 for wife and 1 out for repair.
    Now I have two rugers that have over 300 rounds each and zero failures.

daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Mikewood,
    TOO LATE~!!, I traded for it and can NOT Stop the Delivery~!!!
    I can not sell it for what I "paid" for it...OK?

I have heard that there are FIXES owners (with a bit of tinkering) can do. I Have that ability...If I Knew About Them...

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    there's a kel-tek users forum. just google search. I owned a jam-o-matic pf9, bought it used from tgt. previous owner said it was good to go. I tried to get that pistol reliable but gave up and sold it for a loss, with the disclaimer it was a jammer.

I also have a P3AT, which as been flawless right out of the box. It does need a good lube every 150 rounds or so. Also people perform the "fluff and buff". I did not have to. I also own the LCP and that has also been flawless.

Personally, I'm done with both the LCP and P3AT because of the LONNNGGGGG trigger pulls on both of them. They'll be hitting the for sale section just as soon as I can buy and verify I have a reliable replacement for them.. The Kahr P380 or maybe even the Sig

heavyzee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Austin
    i have one, and my father has one... we have had NO ISSUES... if you do have issues the Kel-Tec people have great custom service, and will help you in any way they can so if you have issues call them, and they will get you straightened out!!

or you could buy the knock off ruger and have them same potential problems, as its the same damn design...

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    You won't know if it needs to be fixed until you get it and run the things through it's paces. heavyzee is correct about the LCP, I have seen just as many problems with them as I have the Kel-tecs. My current P3AT works fine, but it is what it is. The quality of the P3AT, LCP, and DB380 is about the same and all have similar price points. If you want to move up in quality look to the Kahr P380.

daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Thanks...I'm coming to think that most issues are from "limp wristing" ei., not being able to grip it tightly with the small frame. I am a good polisher and am looking forward to it~!!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Lol. Sell it new in box and buy the ruger.

Why, the bolt doesn't stay open on the LCR either! For that feature, you need a Taurus TCP!

I had a P3AT and hated every aspect of it. It put my off .380s for a while until I took a chance on the TCP. It is a completely different pistol in all regards and 1000 times better!

The best way to improve the P3AT is to sell it and replace it with a TCP!

Cheers! M2

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    The SW body guard stays open on last round too.

But I HATE shooting it. I just can't do it. I've got about 400 rounds through my P238 so far so good. And it is fun to shoot...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I never had a problem with mine. Ok she didn't tolerate 32 auto, but .380 auto just fine. Snappy little bugger. Sold it cause I wanted a better trigger and to get out of 380.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    My Pf9 Hates winchester bulk box ammo. It's had a few snags with monarche..but with PDX+P Hollow points it's been great. I've also got a p32 and it seems to be fine (I've only ran about 100 rounds of FMJ through it but not issues). When you get your P3AT, try running it with some high quality ammo. Remember these things aren't really made to be range toys that you run 1000's of round through.
    If you are going to polish and hone the extractor on some rubs the frame. Clean your gun really well, and use a sharpie marker on the slide rails then reassemble the gun work the action dissasemble again and check the friction points where the marker has rubbed off. I'd recommend tool makers dye, but it'll stain your polymer. Good luck.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm concerned that the 'Net chatter has turned you off of a good pistol. I've had two KelTec P3AT's, carried and shot them for about 7 years. I have also owned most of the other pistols mentioned above and have carried them daily, too. All of them are ammo fussy and when I first got into the small pistols, bought every .380 round I could find and tried them. Find a load that the pistol likes and there won't be any problems. My pistols all like Federal Premium Personal Defense 90 grain "Hydra Shok" which feeds 100%. There are a few that will NOT load properly. I'd list them but you NEED to try the ammo in YOUR pistol. Please do that.

I've read about "fluff and buff" being necessary on these pistols. A buffer has never touched any of mine. TRY the ammo! That's how to make them work 100%.

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Honestly, which great pistols such as the Springfield XD series that will eat any ammo all the time, why would you waste time with a finicky firearm such as the P3AT?

I accept no compromises when it comes to a self-defense weapon!

daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I had an XD-40, but sold it for food when I was hurting 6 months ago.
    It was much heavier than my Kel-Tec,,..I changed delivery to a .32 P32. It's not ammo sensitive.

Top Bottom