Hurley's Gold

We need another Meet & Greet in Austin Area.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    OK, guys and gals, It's Jan. 5th @11:00 AM. Lone Star Gun Range in Lockhart, Tx. Be there or or be square (yeah, it's corny but had to say it).

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    Great........another 90 miles to drive!!!!

Better start saving up for ammo again!!! We going to do lunch/early dinner again like last time or not???

And.............what's everyone going to bring??? I'm bringing what I brought last time and maybe my little bro's G20 (10mm).

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Being a newb to these meet and greets, what things do ppl typically bring to these (e.g., pistols, rifles, full-auto, etc)?

What you can generally bring to a range depends on that particular range.

If it were me, I bring several handguns in several calibers to each range session.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll just be bringing my P220 and a crappy M44 Mosin I can't hit the broad side of a barn with (stupid sight cant!). ;)

Lone Star doesn't currently allow any full auto stuff unfortunately.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    I'll bring everything I have. Sold 3 of my M91/30s (only 1 remains), but now have a Yugoslavian SKS.

Anybody know any female shooters? Sure would be nice for this reporter to see some females shooting instead of just guys. My wife is going to try to make it, but it is suppose to be her first day back after 2 weeks vacation so she's not sure.

For this particular shoot, let's not even mention full auto stuff. This reporter ain't exactly what I'ld call gun friendly at the moment. We need to educate her not scare the hell out of her. We would like her on our side when she writes her story.

dane421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    DFW
    I will be there but I am not going to play nice because some reporter lady and her husband are going to be there.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well at the least we should be cordial and understanding of the fears (no matter how ill conceived) people have about firearms. Most anti-gun people I've met aren't the "rabid" types, they simply aren't aware of the facts since their only "knowledge" stems from the lies in the media and from gun control groups, as well as the fallacies and inaccuracies in the entertainment industry (CSI, movies, etc).

I might possibly be able to bring the FAL I bought, though I don't think I'll have it by then. Also, I'll see if I can convince my mother to tag along to add another woman to the group. ;)

dissy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    Sounds like fun!!

Post it when you have a date and time. I dont know where Lonestar is but if it is around austin I think I will be able to find it. We should make a good impression on here.

NcongruNt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Austin
    I don't know if I can make it or not, but someone please bring a couple of .22s (easy to shoot, not pocket pistols) for her to start off with.

It would also be a good idea for someone who is good at instructing to give her a one-on-one introduction to firearms safety (the four rules, range etiquette, safe conduct, and familiarity with the guns she will be trying out) before hitting the range proper. For someone with no exposure to guns, it would be a good idea to do this in a more private setting indoors, without firearms reports to distract her. I usually do this in a comfortable setting at home with new shooters before heading to the range.

Texas1911: perhaps you could talk to Matt and see if he is willing to let you use his classroom area, if it's not booked.

One-on-one instruction for her first bit of shooting would also be a good idea. Once she has become more comfortable, introductions could be made and she'd get to talk to everyone about whatever it is she wants to ask.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I don't know if I can make it or not, but someone please bring a couple of .22s (easy to shoot, not pocket pistols) for her to start off with.

It would also be a good idea for someone who is good at instructing to give her a one-on-one introduction to firearms safety (the four rules, range etiquette, safe conduct, and familiarity with the guns she will be trying out) before hitting the range proper. For someone with no exposure to guns, it would be a good idea to do this in a more private setting indoors, without firearms reports to distract her. I usually do this in a comfortable setting at home with new shooters before heading to the range.

Texas1911: perhaps you could talk to Matt and see if he is willing to let you use his classroom area, if it's not booked.

One-on-one instruction for her first bit of shooting would also be a good idea. Once she has become more comfortable, introductions could be made and she'd get to talk to everyone about whatever it is she wants to ask.

Actually, that would be a very good step. The simple actions of taking her aside BEFORE stepping on the firing line conveys a message of responsibility, seriousness and displays the gravity of safety's importance when regarding firearms.

The reporter needs to feel and see that safety and handling is paramount and a safety brief will do so.

Top Bottom