Hurley's Gold

Weather stations. What do you all have at home and whats your opinion of it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Gonna get a home weather station so I'm looking for info on what you all use and what your opinion is of it.

I'm wanting one that records info on wind rain temp etc and stores that info for a decent time period. Example is the wind for the last couple days not just an hour or top speed for the day.

Rain and temps records for longer periods.

Wireless or solar powered monitoring station for ease of installation and easy setup.

Ability to report to weather underground or like site doesn't matter. Ability to remotely check in would be great for folks back home.

Price not really an issue upto a couple hundred dollars and willing to pay for quality and features.

No voice interface as I have banned all voice interface devices from my house. I hate spying bastard machines conntected to the internet.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Wir...ite+5+1+weather+station&qid=1618502684&sr=8-9
    This is what I have; pretty fancy rain gauge. It gives a pretty good reading of the temperature/weather conditions, and an indication of future weather forecast. It will store weather conditions ie: wind speed, temp, rainfall.

I have the additional “PRO” Add on https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-060...te+5+1+weather+station&qid=1618502684&sr=8-11

, it does tend to save your battery a little bit.

Battery life on sensor(6-12 months). Does better with lithium batteries, works with alkaline.

My display is battery backed up DC wall charger.

I can’t speak for the remote connection as mine is radio only display(local)

I’ve had mine for going on 6 years and I have replaced the humidity/temp sensor once. The rain sensor is auto dumping and is accurate out of the gate with options to calibrate to your specifications.

This would be recommendation for a remote monitoring version without weather underground integration

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Wir...ccurite+weather+station+pro&sr=8-8&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Reactions: gll

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have a thermometer on the front porch. I can look out the window and tell the temperature!

Seriously, I have been thinking about a remote weather station for the house as well. Subbed for the information.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I got my wife a Tempest. It over-estimates the rainfall. It is suppose to be adjusted by emailing the company, but I haven’t had time to do it. It uses a haptic rain sensor, which is a little different than many.

Overall been pretty happy with it. I think it was like $300. A much smaller and cleaner package than some of the others.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I don't have any info to help the OP - just responding in case others have subscribed.
    I have a LaCross Technology I purchased years ago at either Sam's or Walmart for about $40.
    It has a remote sensor for temp, humidity, and barometric pressure - with indoor and outdoor readings.
    It shows "trends" and predicts weather based on the data it collects.
    FWIW, it is more accurate than the weathercasters in predicting precipitation or sunny weather.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    My smartphone with Weather Channel and Weather Bug. Average them and come pretty close. Have rain gauge with very nice $17.31 replacement tube after I let the damned thing blow off the smoker onto the patio while I was distracted by something as I was taking it into the house to remove snow and ice during Texas Freeze of '21.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Wir...ite+5+1+weather+station&qid=1618502684&sr=8-9
    This is what I have; pretty fancy rain gauge. It gives a pretty good reading of the temperature/weather conditions, and an indication of future weather forecast. It will store weather conditions ie: wind speed, temp, rainfall.

I have the additional “PRO” Add on https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-060...te+5+1+weather+station&qid=1618502684&sr=8-11

, it does tend to save your battery a little bit.

Battery life on sensor(6-12 months). Does better with lithium batteries, works with alkaline.

My display is battery backed up DC wall charger.

I can’t speak for the remote connection as mine is radio only display(local)

I’ve had mine for going on 6 years and I have replaced the humidity/temp sensor once. The rain sensor is auto dumping and is accurate out of the gate with options to calibrate to your specifications.

This would be recommendation for a remote monitoring version without weather underground integration

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Wir...ccurite+weather+station+pro&sr=8-8&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have had the same Accurite for about 8 years, but I don't have it connected to the internet, and recently the thermometer on the outside unit quit, so I replaced the whole outside unit with an identical working unit that a neighbor gave me.

He replaced his with an Ambient WS-5000, and he really likes it. Much better for internet.
    Amazon product ASIN B087V6N5WZ

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    08CA3A3F-88E4-4847-8E48-5C24F32FB134.jpeg
    Works pretty good.

Weather app on phone in all seriousness, but a window will confirm what the app says

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have one I bought at Bass Pro. My outside sensor went out, and don't have any of paperwork for it, so I guess I will be buying a new one soon. Had the present one for about 10 years.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I noticed weather underground and ambientweather.net both list several stations within a 1/4 mile of the house that I can sub to. Maybe a cheap alternative to buying a couple hundred dollar unit, the sam one I would likely get.

Some of those units get stupid expensive too.

Ouch.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Ambient Weather and Weather Underground have apps that allow you to find your neighbor's weather stations...

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like my cheapo accu-rite.

3 things I use most.

Outside temp) I get outta bed and pound a glass of water in the mornings. While pounding, I observe outdoor weather conditions.

Humidity) To see if I'm going to feel like this all day
    Tombo Studios —[ Blog ]— 2016·15

Also... been using this station without trouble for 4yrs now.

Wind speed) Just for more data for my long range shot solution.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    National Weather Service web site is what I have used for years.

I had a Lacrosse that I got as service award @ work. Never did work right. Lacrosse wouldn’t warranty it because I didn’t have a receipt. Service awards went to shit and went down hill from then on!

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    We have a simple indoor/outdoor temp model from Oregon Scientific. Battery life on both ends is very good. I think I change them about every 6 to 9 months. Here is what it looked like during the Little Ice Age in February. Yes, it was 53 in the house. We had a little propane heater and were damn glad of it:
    1618572766431.jpeg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I used to have an accurate weather station, can't remember the model #, but the sensor heads kept going out so when I moved a couple years ago I never put it back up. I have had the Ambient Weather 2902C for about 5 months now.

Amazon product ASIN B01N5TEHLI
    It can upload to weather underground, pws, and ambient weather sites. You decide whether it gets shared with your neighbors or not. You can go onto Ambient weather's site and see graphs of your data for days, weeks, months, and the year. It's worked out so well, my son now has the exact same station.

1618585611957.png

Top Bottom