Weatherby Mark V - 270 Weatherby Magnum - Accuracy potential and experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Does anyone have any experience with a Weathbery Mark V?

How about the 270 Wby Magnum cartridge?

How accurate are these rifles?
    Hurley's Gold

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    They are fairly decent off the shelf. The Weatherby cases are essentially a factory Ackley Improved version of common calibers. They are produced by Norma.

Weatherby tends to cut their chambers with a long throat. This tends to make them a hair less accurate than they could be, and getting on the lands is a bit harder. The emphasis is gaining velocity, but it shortens the life of the brass also.

If you are looking for accuracy I would look towards a 6mm - 6.5mm bullet like a 6mm-284, and build off of a Savage or Remington action. It'd be solid to 1000 yards in a 6.5mm bullet offering. The only downside is that they are going to require reloading, but you are set in that regards. Another option is a simple .308 ... easy to find brass, bullets, well known loads for all methods, and you can buy a factory rifle like a Savage FP10 MacMillen or Remington 700 5R that is good to go.

For a hunting load out ... .270 Weatherby Magnum is solid. I can't fault it, it's a proven caliber pushed faster, and speed creates some gnarly wounds.

If you can't shoot 1-MOA out of the Weatherby then I'd look to fix the shooter. That's been my experience with them.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Sean, to try to answer your question, the .270 Weatherby is an inherently accurate cartridge. I have a friend of mine that has a McWhorter custom in 270 Weatherby that is 3//8-1/2 all day long with handloads built for that rifle. With that being said, I have a Mark V Accumark in 7mm Weatherby, and it is o.k. but not really impressive. When I first got it I bought two different factory loads to try different bullet weights and to get some brass. Accuracy with both was average. After trying several handloads, the best I can get out of it is about MOA which is ok for most people. Alan is right, they do tend to cut their throats a little deeper than they should, so you would really have to handload to get the most accuracy out of it because you will need to seat the bullets out a little further to get better accuracy. So, I guess, to make a long story short, if you handload, and are willing to put some time in trying different loads, it should make you a nice rifle. Not to mention the fact that Weatherby factory ammo is higher than Jeep parts. If you dont handload, I think there are better options.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    The Weatherby rounds were not designed for target work, at one time Weatherby had a 1 1/2 inch guarentee, they will put a bullet into the vitals of big game animals at any reasonable range.

GlennNewick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Houston
    I own a .270 Weatherby with a custom 26" Shilen #5 taper barrel in 12 twist. Being 12 twist I'm limited to light bullets. It shoots very well with some choices, poorly with others. For example - Loads listed as "Starting loads" in most books will shoot more than 2 MOA. If you don't like to pour the coal to a round there are better choices.

However, once you get the load up closer to the top end of the range groups usually shrink, sometimes dramatically. This rifle has shot a lot of 3-shot .3's with the various 90 and 100 grain lead core bullets which would be a poor choice for anything except a double lung broadside. This year for the first time I'm taking it deer and hog hunting. Two choices in 110 grain, which the 12 will stabilize, are the Nosler 6.8 AccuBond and the Barnes TTSX 110. Since the first tests with the Barnes when I worked up to their max listed load of RL 22 were well under an inch I have decided to not try the Nosler this year. No test targets were more than 1.1" triangles. Moving seating depth made no accuracy difference. A Barnes moving out at more than 3500 fps has to make a Hog jump and thump. Even if it sheds a petal the hydrostatic shock should be devistatating. Add in the inside the heart trajectory between zero and 300 yards should make it a fun choice. We head out on Thursday to test it out and see what we can get into the back of the truck.

Cheers,

Glenn

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom