• ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Howdy TGT,

Anyone here own or use to own a Weatherby Mark V before? I know I could read about it on some other forum but I want to hear yalls experience with them. I have my eye on an Accumark Coyote in 30-06 or 270 win.

One side note, id love to get into a new weatherby caliber but dont have any plans to do so until brass / ammo becomes more available again, thats why I am going with the above calibers. The only Mark V I can find in 308 is the cinderlite which I am not terribly interested in.
    Venture Surplus ad

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I had one in 300 Weatherby Mag years ago. Sold it because a friend offered me $500 more than I paid for it, and I couldn't afford to feed it anyway. At the time, Hornady's 300 Weatherby ammo was $65/box and Norma was $120/box on average. I always thought I'd get another one once I started reloading, but I haven't seen one that I just couldn't pass up yet.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I had one in 300 Weatherby Mag years ago. Sold it because a friend offered me $500 more than I paid for it, and I couldn't afford to feed it anyway. At the time, Hornady's 300 Weatherby ammo was $65/box and Norma was $120/box on average. I always thought I'd get another one once I started reloading, but I haven't seen one that I just couldn't pass up yet.
    I have checked one out in a store before and I was impressed by the quality. Its alot of money and these models are on the lower end of the price range at $1400. I wish I could see the specific model in person though

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have owned a few Weatherby Mark V rifles in the past. Wonderful rifles, with quite excellent accuracy and very well made. Not cheap rifles in any respect. All of the ones I owned were in the Weatherby cartridges. 257, 270, 7mm and 300. IIRC, the Mark V only comes in the Weatherby cartridges, or at least they use to years ago.

Part of my reasons for parting with mine was the ammo choices and the price of the ammo. Many years ago, you were pretty much stuck with buying Weatherby branded ammo, or reloading. At the time I wasn't set up for reloading, so shooting the Weatherby's was very expensive, and Weatherby ammo was at least twice the cost of most other ammo at that time.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Weatherby makes a more affordable basic ammo for some of their calibers. Same prices as anything other ammo. Once you acquire some brass it costs no more to load for than anything else. I just saw three new boxes of 300 Weatherby brass in the trash at the range. The Standard cartridge Mark Vs are 6 lug versus 9 lug for their magnums.
    I have one for sale here but it’s not what you’re looking for.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Growing up, a friend had a Weatherby Mk IV in .240 WM. It performed spectacularly in the hill country north of Austin. Way back then, in the 1980's, he was paying $25-$30 per 20 while I was paying $9 for my .308 Power Points.

I always saw them as a "wealthier than me" man's rifle. That said, I've owned Vanguards in several standard calibers.

Then again I have been called a frugal old bastage. I when refer to myself as, "The OCB", Original Cheap Bastard.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Weatherby makes a more affordable basic ammo for some of their calibers. Same prices as anything other ammo. Once you acquire some brass it costs no more to load for than anything else. I just saw three new boxes of 300 Weatherby brass in the trash at the range. The Standard cartridge Mark Vs are 6 lug versus 9 lug for their magnums.
    I have one for sale here but it’s not what you’re looking for.
    Yea I almost took it off your hands but I need cerakote and a threaded barrel unfortunately

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I've owned my Japan-made Mk. V in .300 Wby. Magnum since 1985. Great rifle, accurate with Weatherby ammunition,very accurate with handloads.

BTW, they were once made in Maine (SACO) not Minnesota.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I've owned my Japan-made Mk. V in .300 Wby. Magnum since 1985. Great rifle, accurate with Weatherby ammunition,very accurate with handloads.

BTW, they were once made in Maine (SACO) not Minnesota.
    I have also. Have not been as lucky with accuracy. Haven't found the magic handload yet. Bedding is my next step.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I have a mark V in there 7mm caliber. Nice shooting rifle. Just cost to much to feed it. So it sits in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I had a vanguard also, and it was just as good as the Mark V except for the beautiful spider web composite stock.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Just get a Vanguard. I shoot mine
    More the. The Mark Vs
    I had a vanguard also, and it was just as good as the Mark V except for the beautiful spider web composite stock.

I was thinking of getting one of the multicam vanguards. I can get one of those in .270 still for ~$640. Its got a threaded barrel too.

I think I need to see a Mark V and a vanguard next to each other again. Are the vanguard barrels US made? I know the action is made in Japan on those

Top Bottom