Join TexasGunTalk

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Hoji, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Grundy1133

Grundy1133 Born on a Monday Lifetime Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    That is true but there's also science that says certain foods process and digest easier and faster and turn into nutrients and others that dont process easily and turn into junk that the body can't utilize. 1200 calories of protien isn't the same as 1200 calories of carbs or 1200 calories of sugar. you'll feel sluggish and not want to work out if you eat 1200 calories of junk food. good for you healthy food like veggies fruits and lean proteins like chicken will leave you feeling energetic and full of energy that doesn't make you crash.

2. sucker76

sucker76 Don't let the username fool you

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I use the Lose It app for Android. It does similar calorie counting and it's free. Highly recommended.

3. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    A calorie is a calorie..period.

Now if you want to talk about Macros, we will. A gram of fat contains about 9 calories and a gram of carbs is about 4 same as a gram of protein.

Protein is more satiable of the three, which means it makes you feel full, longer and it more complex and your body actually burns more calories digesting it.

Your body eventually breaks it all down to glucose.(except for small amounts of dietary fiber) ..that's the simplest form of energy and it is released into your bloodstream, then shortly after, insulin.

I will stand by my statement that if you wish to lose weight, it is basic calories in verses calories expended.
    If you decide to only eat 1600 calories a day to loose weight, it doesn't matter if you eat that in Snickers bars or bananas as far as the weight loss goes.
    A professor of human nutrition at Kansas state proved it when he lost 27 lbs in 2 months eating nothing but junk food like twinkies
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

However, your body composition could suffer, as well as other negative health impacts if you do this long term. It depends on your genetics

I lost 80 lbs in a year just restricting calories
    I learned how to eat certain foods with less calories so I would get full.

Problem is when you do what I did, you lose pounds and that's mostly fat but some muscle as well

Now that I am in the gym building it back, I eat 1.2 grams of protein per lb lean mass

I eat nutrient dense and high protein.

So about 35 percent of my calories each day come from protein. I dont worry too much about carbs and fats, since my protein is so high and I'm eating about 2350 calories they tend to keep well in check

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    TxStetson and ZX9RCAM like this.
  4. single stack

single stack Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Lots of good info here.
    Weight Watchers tracking app worked well for my wife and I. My wife went to meetings eventually. I didn't.
    Dedication is the only path to success. I'm 5'10".

212# 5 years ago. Pre-retirement,
    200# 4 years ago.
    Joined WW and 185 3 years ago.
    Stopped Weight Watchers but stayed the course.
    180 2 years ago.
    175 1 year ago.
    173 this morning.

I hope it doesn't sound too strange, but eventually you kind of get used to being hungry and it isn't that difficult.

vmax and ZX9RCAM like this.
  5. sucker76

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Congrats. I've lost 28 lbs since last June. My goal is 200#. I looked up BMI for some crazy reason. For me at 5'10" I need to be 174 or under to be a "normal weight". My wife said I'll look sick that skinny. I haven't weighed that since I was 18.

We started a informal biggest looser at work with just the guys on shift. This is helping to keep me/us motivated to stick with any diet plan

6. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    There is a difference between true hunger and appetite or craving.
    I dont know of that is what you are describing or not.
    I learned that when I'm truly hungry I I know it and that's not the same feeling as just a passing craving

7. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    BMI is just stupid
    The only people who fit into that category of normal live in places like Sudan
    I'm 6'6" tall and at 245 BMI still says I'm overweight and I'm down to 21% body fat

sucker76 likes this.
  8. rl96ss

rl96ss Well-Known

Feb 20, 2013
    South Texas
    I've been doing intermittent fasting for about a month and have lost about 6 lbs now.
    Basically, you have an 8 hour window to eat and then you fast for 16 hours.
    During the fast - only black coffee, un-sweet tea and water.
    In the 8 hour window you can eat whatever you want (don't get crazy) but get some nutritious food in there.
    I have black coffee in the morning for breakfast and it kills the hunger till brunch.
    My kryptonite has always been sweets, so I have a good brunch and good dinner with a little something sweet after and it has been pretty easy so far.

9. sucker76

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I thought the BMI charts were a farce. I'm not sure why they exist like they do. It just seems unrealistic.

10. Grundy1133

Grundy1133 Born on a Monday Lifetime Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    I limit carbs sugars and fats and try to get most of my calories from protein. i've been doing this for about 2 weeks and i've lost only 3 lbs. hopefully it'll start to pick up a bit.

vmax likes this.