• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    TexasBrandon;[URL="tel:1540238" said:
    1540238[/URL]]If you can the sugar intake to just a few grams a day, that does wonders too, or at least it did for me.
    . I have definitely cut back. I am sure I can do better...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Sugar is addictive and it's a drug.

You have quit it like just like tobacco, caffeine, alcohol.

If you're cutting 'back', have an exit strategy to cease using it.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I'm not sure I have a problem with some very minor use. I use alcohol very sparingly, and there is no addiction there. I'm not sure I am interested in complete abstinence of either alcohol or sugar.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Guys losing weight is about calories in and calories out.
    I've lost 60 lbs this year and I'm at my goal weight and starting to build muscle while continuing to lose fat.

A lb of body fat = 3500 calories
    Want to lose a lb a week? Eat 500 calories less than your BMR
    Baslic Metobolic Rate, for 7 days and you will lose a lb.

There are lots of ways to loosely calculate your BMR, but you need to use a daily calorie counter. I used My Net Diary and love it.

No fad diet plans are needed and I don't follow any of those
    You can bias towards low fat and that helps, just don't cut back on the healthy fats, your bodys nervous system and hormone production depends on those

Low carb works, I know I've tried it years ago, but put the weight back on eventually.

Just don't cut back on protein, there is no benefit at all in having a low protein diet.

I don't follow a diet plan per se, I just manage my food intake according to my activity level and I am fairly active as I ride my mountain bike 15 miles a week on average and have been in the gym weight training and doing cardio 3-5 days a week and I eat all of the time.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Guys losing weight is about calories in and calories out.
    I've lost 60 lbs this year and I'm at my goal weight and starting to build muscle while continuing to lose fat.

A lb of body fat = 3500 calories
    Want to lose a lb a week? Eat 500 calories less than your BMR
    Baslic Metobolic Rate, for 7 days and you will lose a lb.

There are lots of ways to loosely calculate your BMR, but you need to use a daily calorie counter. I used My Net Diary and love it.

No fad diet plans are needed and I don't follow any of those
    You can bias towards low fat and that helps, just don't cut back on the healthy fats, your bodys nervous system and hormone production depends on those

Low carb works, I know I've tried it years ago, but put the weight back on eventually.

Just don't cut back on protein, there is no benefit at all in having a low protein diet.

I don't follow a diet plan per se, I just manage my food intake according to my activity level and I am fairly active as I ride my mountain bike 15 miles a week on average and have been in the gym weight training and doing cardio 3-5 days a week and I eat all of the time.

This is true. But the protein part is key. If you eat carbs for breakfast you will be hungry by 10am and binge for lunch. If you eat carbs for lunch you will hungry by 3pm and binge for dinner. If you have carbs for dinner you will need to snack before bed. Cut the carbs and your cravings go away, you then eat far less calories per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Lol, food for thought. If you eat a lot. Have that beer belly. Fat neck.

That means you lift heavier things. You can meet your prime being over fed. That extra fat isn't that bad....

IMO

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    This is true. But the protein part is key. If you eat carbs for breakfast you will be hungry by 10am and binge for lunch. If you eat carbs for lunch you will hungry by 3pm and binge for dinner. If you have carbs for dinner you will need to snack before bed. Cut the carbs and your cravings go away, you then eat far less calories per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A gram of carbs is 4 calories
    A gram of protein is 4 calories
    A gram of fat is 9 calories

Carbs are not evil. Eating too many carbs can make you gain weight just like eating too much protein can.
    Complex carbs like vegitables and whole grains are great for you and what isn't converted to glucose ends up as dietary fiber, which is essential

Carbs are essential for body function. If you are eating a balance of fats, carbs and protein and eating at a calorie deficit from what you are burning daily, you will lose weight

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Haven’t posted here in a while.

I have kept the weight off for two years now.

Here is the starting weight
    178E4A52-0829-4425-9FA8-CBC5059F0AF7.jpeg

And here is a picture from September down in the hurricane area I was working in.

002DB517-090D-4169-95C3-2D5EECC01353.jpeg

Low carb/sugar high protein , and a ton of exercise.

You can do it. It is not easy, it was not fun, but once your body and mind get used to eating nutritious food and living healthy, it becomes both fun and easy.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    20171119_125748.jpg

20171121_185431.jpg

What the heck.
    The top pic is me 18 months ago
    I made the change a year ago
    And the bottom is me last week

60+ lbs

I ate carbs, fats and protein
    I just counted everything and managed my intake to eat at a calorie deficit

Lost 40 lbs and didn't even exercise
    Then the rest came off with the mountain bike and gym

Doc cut my blood pressure meds in half. I'm on the lowest dose now

No other meds, blood work looks prefect and I feel like I can do anything

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Way to go!!!

Any other former holders of “tactical girth” want to show before and after pictures ?

Come on, y’all know you want to!

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Just removing all those nasty ass fast food joints and sodas alone should be enough to start to see some progress and entice you into exercise. I know while I wasn't huge, I still wasn't happy. I cut the sugar, removed saturated fats, and walked 2 miles a day during the week and lost about 20 pounds over 3 months myself last year. I still have a minor tire but at least I am fitting in 36 waist pants again without the need to wiggle.

Losing weight is the best thing you can do for yourself if you are in a position to. I'm physically unable to do much of what I used to. Swimming and walking are the extent of my ability these days with bad asthma, and a bad neck and back.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm not sure how that can be, they are an altogether different macronutrient

I believe it has to do with ketone calories. I researched pure protein diets back in the day. I've done the diet twice. Looking in to where the carbs comes from. Supposedly the body converts the protein and the fats for energy to make up for the loss of carbs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Once upon a time working in prison, midnight shift. The ODR(officer dining room) served the same thing as the inmates. Being an officer you get it made different. The inmates got some scrambled eggs. In the ODR you could order it as an omelet. As many eggs as you wanted. Never mind the ODR cook being a serious child molester. Besides that he could cook.

For a year and half I ate only eggs. Lots of meat is rare in prison. If you count a pork chop being a 1/4" thick as meat.

This was years before the Atkins diet. Eating nothing but protein will drop the hell out body fat. You'll also start craving bread. Your mouth will water at the site of it. Brave that craving and it's the fastest diet I've known.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Losing weight is the best thing you can do for yourself if you are in a position to.

Those of us who've lost a lot of weight...
    For shits and giggles, put weight into a backpack (or carry a dumbbell) equal to what you've lost. Then carry it around for a minute, stand up / sit down.

It's amazing how much extra effort we had to exert just to do menial tasks, when we had to carry all that excess weight around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I spent my whole life losing and regaining weight. When I was younger (20's and 30's) I used to do the high protein-low carb thing and it always worked well for me. In my 40's and 50's I went to more low cal and balanced diet approach with heavy workout routines. At 60, I was in the midst of a diet and exercise mojo when I was floored by a massive heart attack after stepping off a rowing machine. That was 10 years ago and my weight has gone up about 2 lbs a year to the point where I need to lose some again. At this age, your approach to weight loss needs to be more sensible and doable, especially in regards to dealing with heart weakness (I am at 40% of original heart function). I started 6 days ago on a 500 calorie a day regimen focusing on balanced nutrition with lean meats, fruits, vegetables and healthy omega fats (avocados and fish). I take supplements regularly, rest a lot and am avoiding strenuous exercise since this is a very restrictive diet and only a few steps away from fasting. The first three days were tough but I am now in the groove and plan on doing 30-40 days and then ramping up to 1,000 calories until I can pull out the dusty size 34 Wranglers and my old size medium shirts.

Looking way back to the original post, I might share that I am allergic to statins, so after my heart attack (which happened while my cholesterol was around 250), I found that I could not take statins of any kind even though I wanted to improve my hdl/ldl ratio. The 4th cardiologist I went to was about my age and he told me that before the big Pharma started pushing all the statins, cholesterol was treated with niacin. I did 2 grams of time release niacin (not flush free) for 9 years and then dropped down to 1500 mg. During that time my hdl went up by 35% and my ldl came down by 20%. Worked great for me other than the occasional flushing but a lot better than the chemical cocktails they try to shove down your throat. I also did my research and over the first few years whittled down the cardio drugs they were giving me from 6 to only 2 by challenging my cardiologists to show me the data his treatment was based on compared to my research. Not surprisingly, much of what they were pushing had to do with the pharma's marketing, trips to Bermuda and the length of the drug rep's skirt.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Did I read that right
    ..you are only eating 500 calories a day?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom