• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What would yall recommend for about $400? I looked at the bowflex and eh Im use to the old style. Im looking for one with a preacher pad and leg exercising.
    Hurley's Gold

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Well, what are you looking to do? Loose weight and tone up, build big Arnold muscles, cardio endurance and stamina, or just improve your overall general health?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you were closer I'd sell you mine, turns out I
    So awesome I don't need it.

But seriously, I live near hillsboro. It's nothing fancy but wouldn't mind lettin it go for a couple hundred or some sort of trade. Pm me if you got any interest and I'll get some detail on It.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Another option you might consider is the "rubber bands".

Ive spent many a day in the gym at a VA. I noticed that they were using some of the rubber bands. So I gave them a try. Pulling or pulling exercises of any sort on a $20k machine could be done with rubber bands for a 10th the price. They have bands in all ranges of resistance.

The one thing I noticed about bands over a bench press, is you didnt really need a spotter for the bands. You just let them go. Roll off your fingers. And yes, if youve never used them, you can get plenty of resistance out of bands to equal whatever your pressing.

They don't clank or hit the floor. They fit in a box. They don't need careful movement into place to preform the exercise.

Plus the resistance lessens due to the length. So as your in the power of the stroke, they are at full power. But when you return to the rest position, the force of the bands lightens. There a whole lot less chance of over pulling the muscles. Like lowering the bar down to the chest to get a full stretch on the pecs.

Just try some at a local gym. If you think you can easily pull or push a band. Add more. They will wear you out.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    LOL, if you're wanting Arnorld muscles that $400 would be more well spent towards a gym membership. An "all in one" machine just ain't gonna cut it, and eventually will end up as a clothes hanger. JMHO

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Well, the fact is, if you want Arnold muscles, you get a gym membership and spend the rest on steroids.

... Oh and save a few bucks for some tanning oil...

This guy is a legend at no-nonsense fitness AND bodybuilding. Emphasizing the AND, as to express that fitness AND bodybuilding are two different things. But yea, check this out and I promise you'll come away with something you didn't know, that will help you.

Scooby's Workshop | Home Fitness & Bodybuilding Workouts

DocD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    I started with some "all-in-one" dumbbells and kept investing over time. I probably have close to $5K in my home gym aka Man Cave aka garage. But it beats a gym because its always open. It's a few steps from my bedroom. The weights are never being used by someone else (except my grown kids). So really I have no excuse which keeps me exercising on a more regular basis (4-6x/wk).

Start with the adjustable dumbbells!!

dussandr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    SE TX
    Get a decent Olympic barbell and plates and do some deadlifts. Get a squat rack and squat, and bench. Put the bar over your head, either with a shoulder press, or an over head squat. Think big compound movements, instead of isolated muscle work. You wanna get big? Lift big, big compound movements, and eat right- eat more protein, less junk. Stop eating fried foods and replace those calories with lean protein and fresh vegetables. Eat lots of fresh dairy. Look up Bill Starrs 5x5 program.

I have a used squat cage/bench rack I got for less than $100, a $300 Pendlay barbell I bought in 2005, a pair of Pendlay rubber plates, and a bunch of cheap CAP Oly plates I nab when they're on sale at Walmart or Academy. Invest in some basic lifting equipment and some Muscle Milk (mmm Cake Batter) and you'll get big.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Suggestion: don't use them. Use dumbbells and barbells to work multiple muscle groups.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom