• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    Picked up this sporterized Mauser at a pawn shop. Didn't really pay much attention to it, as Mausers are getting scarce.

Anyway, it's a large ring and I started scrutinizing the barrel to see if it was 7 or 8 mm.

The barrel said 30.06. But, the top part wasn't there, just the bottom. So I get to looking at this gun, and it's REALLY looking like a factory barrel. So I wonder if you can just rechamber a Mauser for 30.06. Short answer.....NO!

A 30.06 is 6.25 mm if my memory serves, so...too small for a 7mm bullet, and too sloppy for an 8mm. Anyway, what I have is an 8mm chambered for 30.06.

The problem is... where to find this 30.08 wildcat cartridge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A reloader in the DFW area might help.
    DK Firearms

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    8mm/06 was a pretty common rechambering done in the 50's. Century Arms did a similar thing back in the 80's, with surplus Argentine M1909s in 7.65 Mauser. They just reamed the chambers to 30/06, and you had a 31/06. I never saw any that would do better than about 4 or 5 MOA with 30/06 ammo.

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    Any pictures available?

I can take one, but you won't see much. And sorry to disagree, but it's a 30.08, not an 8mm-06. Sounds crazy, but that's the designation per Google and the barrel.

But, yeah, I already knew all that. The question is where to find 30.06 shells with 8mm bullets shoved in them?

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    Actually, although the barrel is stamped 30.08, and I found that on Google, the 8mm-06 is the more common designation.

Still gotta find ammo, get into reloading, or change the barrel (hopefully to 6.5x55 Swedish.)

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    The .30-06 is 7.62x63
    Thanks, I should have known that! Too big for 7 mm ,too small for 8. I don't hate metric, but it does bite me occasionally.

Still.....here we are... I found a 8mm-06 die set at Gunbroker for $50, but then... I don't reload, ( never have), so... I would have to buy all the equipment, AND learn it, basically for one gun?

I don't shoot a lot, otherwise that might make sense. Starting to look like a short chambered rebarrel is in order.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks, I should have known that! Too big for 7 mm ,too small for 8. I don't hate metric, but it does bite me occasionally.

Still.....here we are... I found a 8mm-06 die set at Gunbroker for $50, but then... I don't reload, ( never have), so... I would have to buy all the equipment, AND learn it, basically for one gun?

I don't shoot a lot, otherwise that might make sense. Starting to look like a short chambered rebarrel is in order.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to sell the gun and buy one chambered for what you want? Sporterized Mausers chambered in 30-06 or even 308 are not uncommon, and are generally pretty cheap.

One chambered in 8mm-06 is kinda cool on it's own. You don't really see them too often anymore, and there's more than a few people who would want one just to be different.

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    Actually, I just had another idea. Maybe make a tool to insert a cleaning patch (or similar) the right distance in the barrel, so the bullet becomes like a patched ball.

Much like a muzzleloader, I only need one shot when hunting, anyway.

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    Wouldn't it be cheaper just to sell the gun and buy one chambered for what you want? Sporterized Mausers chambered in 30-06 or even 308 are not uncommon, and are generally pretty cheap.

One chambered in 8mm-06 is kinda cool on it's own. You don't really see them too often anymore, and there's more than a few people who would want one just to be different.

I'm just not coming across many ( if any) Mausers these days. Used to be able to pick them up for $100 all day long, now I don't even see them.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Actually, I just had another idea. Maybe make a tool to insert a cleaning patch (or similar) the right distance in the barrel, so the bullet becomes like a patched ball.

Much like a muzzleloader, I only need one shot when hunting, anyway.

I wouldn't. That doesn't sound very safe at all...

Bore obstructions are no joke, and there's a huge difference between a rifle using smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet, and a muzzleloader using black powder and a pure lead ball. About 30,000-40,000 PSI of difference.

338kb06.jpg

I'm just not coming across many ( if any) Mausers these days. Used to be able to pick them up for $100 all day long, now I don't even see them.

They're out there.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/search?Keywords=sporterized mauser&Sort=13&PageSize=24

Attachments

• 338kb06.jpg
      338kb06.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 202
    • 338kb06.jpg
      338kb06.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 389
    Last edited:

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    I wouldn't. That doesn't sound very safe at all...

Bore obstructions are no joke, and there's a huge difference between a rifle using smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet, and a muzzleloader using black powder and a pure lead ball. About 30,000-40,000 PSI of difference.

View attachment 170074

They're out there.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/search?Keywords=sporterized mauser&Sort=13&PageSize=24
    That's why I would need a tool to insert the properly sized thickness patch so it encased the bullet, and wasn't an obstruction in the barrel.

Thanks for the link to the Mausers. I can't even buy one right now, because I don't have a driver's license!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Buy the correct set of reloading dies.
    Lee and RCBS can get you up and running.
    https://rcbs.com/Products/Dies-by-C...h-Die-Set-Group-D-Bottleneck-Rifle-Cartr.aspx
    You can fire some standard 30-06 rounds to fire form the brass. Or use the die set to expand the case neck on new brass.
    Reload with proper 8mm rifle bullet.
    DO NOT attempt any kind of patching.
    You’ve chosen a caliber that the only way to shoot it affordably is to hand make ammo.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    As long as you don't go crazy on the reloading equipment and stick with basics, you can start reloading 8mm/06 a lot cheaper than re-barreling the rife.

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    As long as you don't go crazy on the reloading equipment and stick with basics, you can start reloading 8mm/06 a lot cheaper than re-barreling the rife.
    Maybe not. I just met with my gunsmith this morning....( well almost morning) and he said $5-600 to rebarrel. But me, being me....got into him and had him check if he had the 6.5 x 55 Swedish reamers and no-go go guages.

He does, so.... $100 for a barrel, $200 for installation. Problem solved.

Top Bottom