Austin
    iu

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Didn’t say better. Said faster. Stop adding things. Faster, That’s it. Everything else is preference.
    Actually the Koenigsegg has now displaced the Tesla Plaid. But not by much and it's a hybrid!

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Actually the Koenigsegg has now displaced the Tesla Plaid. But not by much and it's a hybrid!

Oh, fancy. I do enjoy watching that crazy ass Swede. Koenigseggs are like zonda’s just pure insanity wrapped in carbon fiber. Interesting to look at but Jesus out of reach for everyone.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Oh, fancy. I do enjoy watching that crazy ass Swede. Koenigseggs are like zonda’s just pure insanity wrapped in carbon fiber. Interesting to look at but Jesus out of reach for everyone.
    Totally agree. I think it's amazing the performance they are able to acheive, but those kinds of cars are $500K and up! I wouldn't spend $500K on a house, much less a car!

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    So, take this with a grain of salt...as I know this will "trigger" a LOT of folks...and maybe some folks on here...I don't mean to do that - but let's be honest...pretty much any performance vehicle (ICE or EV) has capabilities that are waaaaaaaaaaay above even the better than average driver...of course, yeah - that's why there are all the "nannies" that modern cars have...I guess I'm amazed to say that I "survived" without traction control / active handling growing up....LOL....wait, don't ever grow up, it's a trap! So, I say the aforementioned because I instruct out at one of the local road courses from time to time...it can be downright scary! Flip a new GT350 backwards and upside down?? YOU BET!!! I mean, that does take a certain level of talent...on an HPDE TRACK DAY! Crazy. So, I LOVE Corvettes, I've had an '11 vert, two '12 GS, a '13 Z06, a '15 Stingray and now my current '17 Z06 (7-speed manual, BTW!)...I specialize in teaching track driving to Corvette drivers...keep it in 3rd gear is how I usually start them out...let's learn the ins / outs of just driving the line and basic car control and head-on-a-swivel track awareness, don't worry about shifting...yet...let's practice gentle throttle control...once they get it and then we can start working on "throttle steering" is where the FUN begins!!! So, the point of all of this - if you've never done a track day but yet you consider yourself a better than average drive - GO DO A TRACK day!! You'll get HOOKED...you will learn invaluable skillsets...you will become a BETTER everyday driver, you'll look a mile ahead instead of driving right off your front bumper...you'll learn crazy cool things...and then you'll be the bad ass in a pious Prius that kicked a guy's butt in a vette on the track - don't laugh...happens all the time! BTW - my first track day (as in when I did it for the first time) was a crap show...I was BAAAAAD (and not in a good way LOL)!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    We're nearing the max traction capabilities of the (street) tire again. We can make all the power we desire to make (ICE for sure, maybe elec), and we can even sell some really fast cars with the current set of federal vehicle limitations. The problem is going to, as it always does, ultimately fall to how much power you can convert into motion vs. tire smoke and how quickly you can do it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So, take this with a grain of salt...as I know this will "trigger" a LOT of folks...and maybe some folks on here...I don't mean to do that - but let's be honest...pretty much any performance vehicle (ICE or EV) has capabilities that are waaaaaaaaaaay above even the better than average driver...of course, yeah - that's why there are all the "nannies" that modern cars have...I guess I'm amazed to say that I "survived" without traction control / active handling growing up....LOL....wait, don't ever grow up, it's a trap! So, I say the aforementioned because I instruct out at one of the local road courses from time to time...it can be downright scary! Flip a new GT350 backwards and upside down?? YOU BET!!! I mean, that does take a certain level of talent...on an HPDE TRACK DAY! Crazy. So, I LOVE Corvettes, I've had an '11 vert, two '12 GS, a '13 Z06, a '15 Stingray and now my current '17 Z06 (7-speed manual, BTW!)...I specialize in teaching track driving to Corvette drivers...keep it in 3rd gear is how I usually start them out...let's learn the ins / outs of just driving the line and basic car control and head-on-a-swivel track awareness, don't worry about shifting...yet...let's practice gentle throttle control...once they get it and then we can start working on "throttle steering" is where the FUN begins!!! So, the point of all of this - if you've never done a track day but yet you consider yourself a better than average drive - GO DO A TRACK day!! You'll get HOOKED...you will learn invaluable skillsets...you will become a BETTER everyday driver, you'll look a mile ahead instead of driving right off your front bumper...you'll learn crazy cool things...and then you'll be the bad ass in a pious Prius that kicked a guy's butt in a vette on the track - don't laugh...happens all the time! BTW - my first track day (as in when I did it for the first time) was a crap show...I was BAAAAAD (and not in a good way LOL)!
    I haven't done a trackday since pre-rona. I should rectify that this year...

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    We're nearing the max traction capabilities of the (street) tire again. We can make all the power we desire to make (ICE for sure, maybe elec), and we can even sell some really fast cars with the current set of federal vehicle limitations. The problem is going to, as it always does, ultimately fall to how much power you can convert into motion vs. tire smoke and how quickly you can do it.

Tires...yep, it's ALL about tires...the only 4 things that touch the ground, that control everything you do...it's funny when you talk to a "sports car / driving enthusiast" guy/gal and they bitch about the cost of tires...um, yeah...you want performance then you've gotta pay! When racing we go through multiple sets of racing slicks a weekend...sure, I might run the first session on scrubs just to get back in the groove and make sure the car is feeling good...but fresh rubber is where it's at...I used to gripe about the cost of tires tire...but when you spend thousands in ONE weekend on slicks it's literally nothing to spend a few grand on good rubber for the road (even if you only get a few thousand miles out of them LOL)! I do practice what I preach, my Z has Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 shoes...the average Joe/Jane thinks they are bald when new...I pulled up to the dealer (believe it or not, Classic Chevy actually does a GREAT job on mounting tires on the Z - they are a special kind of pain in the ass for most shops) and a customer sitting there was like "man, looks like you need new tires"....um, sir, come over here (pops rear hatch), here's a brand-new replacement tire (nail in the very outside tread so non-repairable)...."WOW"...yep, about as close to a slick as you can get...and get somewhat decent mileage....I think I paid around $2,200 a set. You don't really want to use them in the rain...LOL...but they are STICKY!!! When you've got 650 hp and the same in torque...you need big meats!!

MPSC2-Tires.jpg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Have you tried the new PS5's yet? I loved the PS4's on the Camaro I used to have. I have never driven on a 3 season tire that held as well. On the Charger, since there's little hope of getting too far north of 0.90G, I'm running el' cheapo (by comparison) Continental ExtremeContact Sport. They stick well in a straight line, but the sidewalls are like goo compared to the Michelin's.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    My friend had a Charger when they first came out 1966, 426 hemi with two 4 barrel carburators. Fastest car I ever rode in, truly pushed you into the seat.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Have you tried the new PS5's yet? I loved the PS4's on the Camaro I used to have. I have never driven on a 3 season tire that held as well. On the Charger, since there's little hope of getting too far north of 0.90G, I'm running el' cheapo (by comparison) Continental ExtremeContact Sport. They stick well in a straight line, but the sidewalls are like goo compared to the Michelin's.

I have not. My Z came with the Pilot Super Sports (apparently the predecessor to the PS4 and now the next / new one is the PS5) and I really did like them. They did great in wet weather and all around driving. Even some limited track driving - they were quite pleasant. I've never tried the Contis but I believe you. I really do like Michelin (they are the standard in racing - at least for most). I've got a LOT of time on Hoosier bias ply slicks (F-45, 3025, 3035, and 3045) and the Pirelli Radial TA2 Slick and wets (the wets are AMAZING!). Based on my experience with the Pirelli wets I'd be open to trying a set of their street tires next time around.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Tires are no joke. I run a non power steering setup in my rx7 and it hasn't been an issue for 20 years now, but last year I put a set of 285/30/18 Goodyear Supercar R3 with the 100 treadwear rubber on the fronts. I had to start wearing gloves to keep a grip on the wheel in turns. Soooooo much grip now. Only bad part was that the tires are so sticky, that I fling rocks across the hood while turning slow speeds.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Yep. All the manufacturers are looking to suckle off Uncle Sam’s Inflation Reduction Act subsidy tit.

Fûck ‘em, I’m going to find an old Caddy with the 500ci V8 in it and turn that into my daily driver.
    I was thinking more along the lines of putting a pickup truck bed on an old smokey Mack.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Tires are no joke. I run a non power steering setup in my rx7 and it hasn't been an issue for 20 years now, but last year I put a set of 285/30/18 Goodyear Supercar R3 with the 100 treadwear rubber on the fronts. I had to start wearing gloves to keep a grip on the wheel in turns. Soooooo much grip now. Only bad part was that the tires are so sticky, that I fling rocks across the hood while turning slow speeds.
    When you are on track - whether a track day or going wheel 2 wheel racing...it's quite astounding at the amount of track turds (and of course, rocks) that you'll see streaked all over your car / windshield. Truck turd is another name for tire bits...and sometimes they really do look like turds LOL! It's all fun and games until one of those turds gets under your hood and lodged in your throttle stop...and now your engine is "idling" at 3,000 RPM... LOL.

Yet another reason to keep the helmet visor down when on track...or at least where protective eyewear if you don't...I used to keep my helmet visor up until I took a track turd to the cheek, right below my eye...OUCH...yeah, lesson learned!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom