• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Blame CAFE and the Fed, not the automakers. They're doing what they're told.
    Found an interesting quote from Stellantis CEO...

"If there are, from time to time, unpopular decisions that have to be made, it's not because the company wants to do that. It is because the company is adapting to a new world that has been decided by the representatives of the citizens," Tavares said.
    Kinda reminds me of when Marchionne begged people not to buy the 500e that FIAT had to release in CA only to satisfy CAFE rules.

From the article manufacturing costs are up to 50% more for EVs compared to ICE vehicles.

I get that manufactures have to follow the law and are desperate to not be left behind, but I really wish they'd fight more.

It won't be long to bring at least one of them back. Those cars are the bread and butter for Fiat next to the Ram trucks.
    It's not just FIAT anymore, and it's too early to tell what Stellantis's culture is. I wouldn't be surprised that if sales tank after Dodge/Ram/Jeep go electric, and with shifting global politics, that Stellantis doesn't cut bait on North America and sell it.

There's actually a lot to unpack in the article above. I thought it was interesting that Tavares said they were cutting ties with Chinese automakers they had been working with because they can't trust them. Wish GM would come to the same conclusion.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    "Electric muscle car" whatever the fսck that means...
    It means exactly what it says.
    Electric motors are capable of amazing torque and predictable power delivery.
    Performance has not been the limiting factor that prevents me from going EV.

Range, Charging time, and the fact that the driver and all passengers are sitting on top of a multi cell fire bomb.

I have no doubt that this car will be a very impressive performer, but I will stick with my internal combustion powered vehicles for a while longer.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It means exactly what it says.
    Electric motors are capable of amazing torque and predictable power delivery.
    Performance has not been the limiting factor that prevents me from going EV.
    It's not just about performance. A muscle car is specifically a common production American car with a V8, RWD, and accessible for the average Joe. I suppose the Aussies can say they make muscle cars too since they seem to "get it".

There's lots of performance cars out there that's aren't muscle cars. There's no way for an EV to be one. It is it's own thing.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Range, Charging time, and the fact that the driver and all passengers are sitting on top of a multi cell fire bomb.

I have no doubt that this car will be a very impressive performer, but I will stick with my internal combustion powered vehicles for a while longer.
    QFT

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Listen to this fake crap.

video should start at 10:23 for the sound...

The reason why engines sound cool is because it is the noise of a machine doing work. Playing some fake scifi noise isn't it. Electric motors do have a sound, and so do the gears. Just let those sounds be the EV's signature.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It's not just about performance. A muscle car is specifically a common production American car with a V8, RWD, and accessible for the average Joe. I suppose the Aussies can say they make muscle cars too since they seem to "get it".

There's lots of performance cars out there that's aren't muscle cars. There's no way for an EV to be one. It is it's own thing.
    Pretty much my thoughts. Doesn't matter what body they drop an electric motor and batter pack into, that doesn't make it a "muscle car".

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    There was a movie several years ago with Vince Vaughn and Kevin James (The Dilemma) in which they had a company that had sound technology that they would record an engine and the use there system to play it back on an electric car. If I remember correctly they cut a deal with Dodge and mocked it up on a Challenger. It sounded a lot better than this abomination.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

The reason why engines sound cool is because it is the noise of a machine doing work. Playing some fake scifi noise isn't it. Electric motors do have a sound, and so do the gears. Just let those sounds be the EV's signature.

Oh my…. This conjures up memories of playing Pole Position at Chuckee Cheese 40 years ago. I’d be embarrassed piping that noise out of an electric car. I’d just as soon take the car for what it is with a Jetson‘s flying car noise emanating from exterior speakers

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW

That is just F'ing HORRIBLE!! WOW! UGH!!

Remember this movie? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1578275/

There's actually a movie about this crap from awhile back....

So, gears do have an AMAZING sound! The Jerico and Andrews straight cut gear dog ring boxes make AMAZING sounds!!

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    There was a movie several years ago with Vince Vaughn and Kevin James (The Dilemma) in which they had a company that had sound technology that they would record an engine and the use there system to play it back on an electric car. If I remember correctly they cut a deal with Dodge and mocked it up on a Challenger. It sounded a lot better than this abomination.

LOL...you beat me to it!!

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    On the one hand the technology is cool that allows the sound, on the other let it be what it is. Or next we will have the same thig for an airsoft or bb gun.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    This isn't exactly new, right?
    I guess Audi did it first :laughing:

1660941851702.png

Top Bottom