• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Hallelujah.... Checked this morning and LTC finally updated. Two remaining line items, excluding printing the license, finger print check and background check. Hopefully those get completed next week. Been waiting 4 days now for a background check to come back for the P226 Mk25 setting in the back with my name on it at Bass Pro Shop.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    If the retailer doesn’t have a Background check response after three days, aren’t they legally allowed to complete the sell?

I suspect the online LTC status updates don’t display in “real time”. I’ve always thought the state’s updates - at least what the public can see - were handled via some kind of overnight ‘batch’ run.

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    If the retailer doesn’t have a Background check response after three days, aren’t they legally allowed to complete the sell?

So what's the solution here? Re-submit the background check information. It would seem like a continuous circle jerk if that's the case.... But then we are talking about the Federal Gubber'mint here.

Dave68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    NW Houston
    I’ve had pretty good luck lately. I had a renewal and change of address this year. In both situations, I received my LTC in two weeks.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    No, the way the law is written, allows for the sale to be completed if the retailer hasn’t received a response from the National Background Check (FBI) system within three days. Your retailer should know this and be able to confirm it.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Yes... I did some research after my last post and discovered exactly what you just said. After 3 days sales can be completed w/o background check results. It's called a default proceed or "Charleston Loophole".

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Yes... I did some research after my last post and discovered exactly what you just said. After 3 days sales can be completed w/o background check results. It's called a default proceed or "Charleston Loophole".

And after some additional research I've discovered that 13, unnamed senators, petitioned Bass Pro/Cabela's to forgo the "Default Proceed" to which Bass Pro/Cabela's agreed. Their, BassPro/Cabela's, policy is to withhold final sales until such a time as Bass Pro/Cabels'a receives final clearance from NICS.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I wait until the paper 30-day notice show up in the mail. Has worked out well for me so far, even when I sent in a DD214 (first time for that) Next time I renew, I’ll have to figure out if I send it in again seeing as how both my DL and LTC are already printed with it. Not like that status changes...ever.
    When I renewed I went online checked some boxes printed out some stuff and they mailed the pretty new CH license to me. with veteran embossed on the Top RH corner.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Might be time to find a different retailer.

I'm still waiting.... But I did talk a guy at Field & Stream. He said it didn't know of any FFL that would exercise the "Charleston Loop hole" in so much is IF an FFL releases the gun after three days w/o getting a clean NICS the liability and responsiblitiy to recover the weapon falls at the feet of the issuing FFL. 'Least that's what I was told.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    I’ve had pretty good luck lately. I had a renewal and change of address this year. In both situations, I received my LTC in two weeks.
    Submitted online change of address on July 14. New LTC card arrived in mail today.

Submitted the same COA for my drivers license... nothing yet.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Yeah the hang up seems to be at the federal level. Got all the boxes checked 'cept for fingerprints and background....tic...tic...tic...:banghead:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Yeah the hang up seems to be at the federal level. Got all the boxes checked 'cept for fingerprints and background....tic...tic...tic...:banghead:

You’re gonna love how easy it is to buy a gun once you finally get your Texas LTC. I was in and out of Bass Pro in about 30 minutes the other day when I bought my Sig P365.

Top Bottom