Patriot Mobile

Well...just got back from the range...got some stuff to chew on....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EmptyWallet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    I just got back from Lock 'N Load (off of the loop in Tyler). I took my USP9 Full Size, and compared it to a Glock 17 and a XD9 (Service 4").

I am a much better shot with the two striker fired guns than I am with the USP, whether it be DA or SA. From any distance.

Both the XD and the Glock felt better in my hand, and I felt more comfortable with either gun on follow up shots and just about the entire shooting experience.

I guess the USP is just not for me. As soon as I have 25 posts here I'll be putting her up for sale along with 6 mags in the for sale section.

So now I'm looking at the eternal battle of Glock vs. SAXD.

A few things spring to mind:

I did not shoot a Glock 19 to compare to the XD Service model. I only shot the 17 and the XD Service. So...there's that.

Would the XD9 Tactical be more of what I would want to compare to the Glock 17?

I did end up getting tired towards the end, so my accuracy started to suffer. I did not have a clear cut winner between the Glock and XD.

In my mind.....I THINK I was more accurate shooting the XD9, but that was the second pistol I shot after my USP...and I think I was just so shocked I shot it THAT much better than the USP.

I was shooting the Glock last...so I think I was a little bit tired at that point....and accuracy may have suffered.

Thoughts?

One thing that bugs me...I know I could go buy an XD and have it run straight up flawlessly right out of the box....but with all I've been hearing about new Gen 3 Glocks and Gen 4 Glocks....that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Capitol Armory ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Three fine guns. Maybe you should try the P30 instead of the USP. Everyone needs at least one HK....

How did the triggers compare between the three?

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Well, you also have 2 completely different trigger systems. So it makes sense that you would be worse with the USP, especially when you switch back and forth. Practicing with a specific pistol and becoming proficient takes more than a couple range sessions.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well, you also have 2 completely different trigger systems. So it makes sense that you would be worse with the USP, especially when you switch back and forth. Practicing with a specific pistol and becoming proficient takes more than a couple range sessions.

Exactly. But if you're looking at striker fired guns, might as well give the M&P a try as well. They are popular for a reason. I tried glock, Springfield, and M&P before settling on my choice.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    my Wife and I have 5 glocks in the safe - I shoot them all well (g26, g19, g19, g34, g24) - all have gone from box to range without any issues

don't have an XD so can't comment

do have lots of other pistols - all are good shooters (Ruger, Bersa, sig, STIs, Browning, Makarov) - wouldn't keep a pistol I didn't like

EmptyWallet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    I think a lot of it to, the XD and Glock just "felt" right to me. I just felt like I could hit the target with them. They felt..."correct" in my hand.

The USP has always felt like a bit piece of wood.

I am certain with more practice, I could shoot the USP just as well as the Glock and XD....but shouldn't I begin with something that I NATURALLY shoot better and NATURALLY feels better in my hand?

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    I had the same issues with the USP9 i had, it was just too big and bulky for me to ever get comfortable with and the trigger never felt right mostly cus my fingers had issues due to the grip size.

I bought mine after renting one that felt good but it was way more worn in.

Personally i shoot the glock much better and It feels better in my hand, its all preference I can say that Ive got a gen3 17 and a g4 26 and neither has any issues whatsoever

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Glocks and Springfields are both great guns.

As an instructor here is my suggestion; go back another day and rent both guns. Take a notebook. Make comment on trigger, reset, sights, general feel, etc. Dont shoot a bunch out of one gun, then switch. Shoot a few rounds, 5 to 7, then switch. Alternate like that.

I have a preference between those two guns, but you need what you like.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    If you are interested, I might be interested in a Glock 19 Gen 4 trade for the USP. It has a very low round count. Let me know.

EmptyWallet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Glocks and Springfields are both great guns.

As an instructor here is my suggestion; go back another day and rent both guns. Take a notebook. Make comment on trigger, reset, sights, general feel, etc. Dont shoot a bunch out of one gun, then switch. Shoot a few rounds, 5 to 7, then switch. Alternate like that.

I have a preference between those two guns, but you need what you like.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

I am certainly going back...and I'm going to rent both guns this time.

Question though....is the Glock 17 more XD Tactical territory and the Glock 19 XD Service territory?

Or is the XD Tactical bigger than all of them?

EmptyWallet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    I think if I'm going to get a Glock 17....and EARLY Gen 3 or Gen 2 is what I'd want.....I'd have no clue how I'd locate those though.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    My opinion only.

Go with the XD. The grip, trigger, and lower bore axis worked a whole lot better for me than the Glock did. And I really liked the added "backup" of a grip safety. For me, shooting a Glock was similar to tossing a brick into a window. BAD IDEA.

EmptyWallet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    My opinion only.

Go with the XD. The grip, trigger, and lower bore axis worked a whole lot better for me than the Glock did. And I really liked the added "backup" of a grip safety. For me, shooting a Glock was similar to tossing a brick into a window. BAD IDEA.

I thought a Glock had a lower bore axis than the XD did? I've read that in several places.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    I have a XD40 service and a Gen4 23 and they are close to the same size. So to answer your question the G19 is in the same size as the XD9 service. I shoot very well with my XD40. And getting better with my the Glock. Very happy with both. On a side note and in my opinion if you get a glock get the Gen4 I've had zero issues with mine. The recoil spring issues the gen4's were having have been fixed. It all comes down to personal preference.

Top Bottom