Lynx Defense

Well, so much for that Beretta 21A I was looking for..........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Went out again today looking for an elusive Beretta 21A Bobcat.
    Nobody seems to have one.

Day was not a total loss tho. A brand new Henry Arms pump .22 rifle somehow ended up at my house. :roflfunny:
    Needed a S,L, LR capable rifle anyways.

Any of you folks running one of these Henry pump .22's?

Here is a pic of one I thieved from the InterweBz

fcu2vm.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I have a 21A. Older one with wood grips. Made a box for it because the original box was kinda falling apart at the seams. (cheap glue, I think) Probably haven't shot it in 15 years.

Last edited:

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Nice.

I don't have the Henry, but I do have a Rossi 62 (pretty close copy of the Winchester) with the octagpn barrel.

They are a good option.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I've fired the original Winchester that was based on. Great gun, used it for rabbit hunting, afraid it was thieved by in-laws after my grandmother remarried.

Surprisingly accurate from what I remember and while being a pump gun seems counter-intuitive it worked quite well. First gun I ever fired and was always fond of it.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I'll be off Tuesday.
    If it doesn't rain, the plan is to get it out to the range and see how it shoots.
    Will try to get up some pics and AAR.

Lame Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Man, you stole it if it's new. Way to go. Don't let your trigger hand get too far forward when you cycle the bolt. That bolt is pretty sharp on the back end. The gun is super easy to disassemble to clean. Congrats. you're gonna love it.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Man, you stole it if it's new. Way to go. Don't let your trigger hand get too far forward when you cycle the bolt. That bolt is pretty sharp on the back end. The gun is super easy to disassemble to clean. Congrats. you're gonna love it.

Can you expand on disassembly? The owners manual says not to take the gun apart.
    does the receiver cover just lift off with the large side screws removed?

Lame Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Take the 4 screws out of the reciever cover. Remove the long screw from the rear tang behind the hammer. Slide the stock off to the rear. Cock the hammer, and slide the rec. cover to the rear & off. The bolt slides inside the cover & may come off when you slide the cover off. With the bolt out, it's easy to clean the barrel. Be careful around the cover, and where you lay it down. The paint on it can scratch. I wouldn't go much further unless your comfortable with it. The other 3 pieces and springs are not necessary unless the inside gets really dirty. You can prob. go on google, and find the rest of the process. If you have any trouble, come back on here, And I'll watch for it. L.B.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    2ahguf4.jpg

209roys.jpg

Finally got the chance to range test the Henry Arms pump .22. Here is the AAR.
    Pic#2 shows the ammo used.
    Fired about 300 rounds total.

Accuracy - very good with all types. Minute of Beer Can is easy. Groups at 25yds were 2" even with my poor eyesight. No complaints.
    I'm sure with a good scope and a little further ammo experimentation the gun would perform much better.
    The irons are pretty good but a finer bead on the front would be an improvement IMO.

Cycling/pumping was another matter.
    The gun seem to take quite a bit of force to cycle after firing. More than it should IMO.
    I also discovered that any rearward pressure on the forearm at discharge causes the bolt to shift slightly to the rear and causing lock-up of the action. I had to drop the hammer on the already fired case to get the bolt to move back into forward battery enough in order to get the action to stroke open. This occurred with 22LR ammo. The 22 Short had so little recoil it didn't move the bolt on firing.
    Once I figured out to keep forward and/or neutral pressure on the forearm while firing the problem dissipated.
    Perhaps the amount of force needed to stroke the action will ease with use. This is a brand new gun. Even stroking the action on empty magazine seems stiff. I'll continue to run the gun and hopefully this will "slick up".

Reliability with S,L,LR. - very good. It ate everything it was fed. Even ran 10 shotshells(rat-shot) through it just to see if it would work.
    All worked fine. Holds twenty two shorts in the magazine! LoL! No complaints.

Trigger - very nice. Nice crisp break about 4lbs. No complaints.

Overall I think its a nice little gun. Little too expensive. Noisy to operate. Hopefully mine is just a tight tolerance one and will smooth up with usage.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Most of the resistance when cycling is due to cocking the hammer.
    With the action open, check the bottom of the "bolt" where it is exposed behind the reciever.
    Any rough machine marks can be smoothed there.
    Lube.
    The hammer spring may be overly strong too.

I'm pleased to hear it cycles all ammo reliably.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Take the 4 screws out of the reciever cover. Remove the long screw from the rear tang behind the hammer. Slide the stock off to the rear. Cock the hammer, and slide the rec. cover to the rear & off. The bolt slides inside the cover & may come off when you slide the cover off. With the bolt out, it's easy to clean the barrel. Be careful around the cover, and where you lay it down. The paint on it can scratch. I wouldn't go much further unless your comfortable with it. The other 3 pieces and springs are not necessary unless the inside gets really dirty. You can prob. go on google, and find the rest of the process. If you have any trouble, come back on here, And I'll watch for it. L.B.

Thanks LB.
    It worked just like you said it would.
    Already taken it apart, cleaned, and reassembled.
    Once the receiver cover is off its a snap to clean the innards.

Top Bottom