• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    It is about a NICS. I'm at about the 2 week mark since I submitted the info for a NICS at BassPro. I was under the impression that the "I" in NICS stood for "INSTANT" ok... so we blew a hole in that "understanding". There is absolutely no reason for a rejection so I'm trying to figure out what/why it's taking so long. Guy at BassPro said "well... they do have 30 days..." then it expires and then you get to do it all again... that last part was me guessing what happens after 30 days. LTC is "supposed" to fly this week but was also informed I can not use LTC to buy a gun I've already submitted a NICS on. I suppose it could be more difficult but at this point I'm challenged to figure out how.
    Lynx Defense

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    did you provide your social security number. I know with a LTC its optional.
    If you provide a SS# it usually cuts down on problems.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Do you have a really common name? Feds could have f'd up and got you mixed up with another "John Smith".
    I have a German name. Though it is not "unique" it wouldn't be considered common either.

Some of my coworkers who do not have LTC have been waiting several months for the background check to go through. Word is the FBI system can't keep up with the demand.

Mmmm... I was told that after 30 days the request is void and must be resubmitted....

did you provide your social security number. I know with a LTC its optional.
    If you provide a SS# it usually cuts down on problems.

Aren't you paying attention???? I said it has been more that two weeks! I'm lucky that I remember filing it much less what was actually on the form! :beat: Honestly... I don't recall.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Yep, stores like Bass pro and Cabelas and Walmart are a pain in the ass. Most FFLs would have released your gun already.

I beg to differ. Spoke to a guy at Field & Stream that was working the counter. I asked him if they would release w/o NICS proceed? He said "NOPE" and he added "I don't know any FFL that would either. Unless they know you real well - like a family member!" As it was explained to me if the NICS were to come back denied then it's the responsibility of the of the FFL to recover the gun. Additionally the liability should it come back denied and then the released gun was used in the commission of a crime the cost to the FFL could be astonomical.

Because I "begged to differ" doesn't even begin to suggest what I said is fact. But it sounded good to me when the guy was speaking...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I beg to differ. Spoke to a guy at Field & Stream that was working the counter. I asked him if they would release w/o NICS proceed? He said "NOPE" and he added "I don't know any FFL that would either. Unless they know you real well - like a family member!" As it was explained to me if the NICS were to come back denied then it's the responsibility of the of the FFL to recover the gun. Additionally the liability should it come back denied and then the released gun was used in the commission of a crime the cost to the FFL could be astonomical.

Because I "begged to differ" doesn't even begin to suggest what I said is fact. But it sounded good to me when the guy was speaking...
    Guy was full of shit, but it sounds like he was good at delivering it.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Guy was full of shit, but it sounds like he was good at delivering it.
    Yes sir.... you are correct. After your post I did an internet check. Turns out the guy who committed the Charleston Church massacre actually got the weapon he used because of the 3 day default proceed. There was no mention of FFL liability in that article. Stands to reason now that I think about it. If there were lability associated with the 3 day default proceed it would make to sense to even have it.

If you can't dazzle them with you brilliance - Baffle'em with your bullshit!

Can I get an amen?

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Yes sir.... you are correct. After your post I did an internet check. Turns out the guy who committed the Charleston Church massacre actually got the weapon he used because of the 3 day default proceed. There was no mention of FFL liability in that article. Stands to reason now that I think about it. If there were lability associated with the 3 day default proceed it would make to sense to even have it.

If you can't dazzle them with you brilliance - Baffle'em with your bullshit!

Can I get an

Yep their policy is to keep your gun forever. Do they charge you for the 2nd NICS check?

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    How about an apology
    Are you serious??? Did you read all of my post? Especially the part that said
    "Because I "begged to differ" doesn't even begin to suggest what I said is fact. But it sounded good to me when the guy was speaking..."

Geeeesssshhhh.....

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    That’s Clinton talk...
    So that didn't happen either huh? OK... so I went back and read more of the article. It was 2 months after the release of the gun based on the 3 day default proceed that the Charleston Church shooting took place. What the article didn't say - is weather the FFL ever received a denied or proceed response from the NICS. Bullshit by omission huh?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Good, I wouldn't either. They don't honor your LTC.
    All they told me, relative to the LTC, is that I couldn't use it for this purchase due to the fact I had already submitted an NICS request.... The things we learn on the way to Grandma's house...

Top Bottom