• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    So I went shooting yesterday to celebrate another finished manuscript (it's becoming a tradition of mine). Also had a couple of new guns that I took on their maiden voyage. One of them was a .357 Henry rifle, which, is a total blast to shoot btw.

IMG_3604.JPG

Anyway, I am blasting some .357 through and having fun, and then I decide to give .38 Special a shot. I was cracking up at how much shooting .38 Special almost felt like .22lr in it.

On my third shot with .38, I noticed a really quiet bang with virtually no recoil. I grab a flex rod and check for a bullet. Sure enough, I hit something within an inch of the muzzle. My cousin grabs the rifle and heads over to the range officer shed and a few minutes later comes out laughing, saying "I've never seen anything like this before."

IMG_3610.JPG

I was using Monarch .38 in partially jacketed hollow points. The charge was too light and the bullet got stuck at the end of the barrel, however, the lead slug broke free from the copper jacket and exited the barrel, but left behind a tiny little copper cup.

Yep, I've definitely never seen that before.
    Guns International

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Vaquero: Yeah, it was a bizarre thing for sure, but it makes sense how it all worked out. However, feel like it was a 1 in a million shot, maybe I should play the lottery today :)

Brd: Yes, me too. Though, the jacket is so flimsy that had I followed up it probably would have not done any real harm to the gun (except maybe scratch the barrel interior). However, if the full thing had stuck in there, that would have been a different story.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I'd email monarch and send the picture. A lot of times they will replace the ammo so you can have more of their defective ammo to shoot.
    LoL! Honestly, first time I've ever had a bad charge from Monarch brass. I live out of state now, so I don't buy the brand anymore anyway. As dangerous as that could have been, I find myself less annoyed about that than the time the bullet from a Tula 7.62x39 came unseated as it was being chambered into my AK. That was also a first for me.

Top Bottom