• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I didn't see a dedicated thread so figured I would make one for this topic.

I just got the equipment and am getting in to wet tumbling.

I don't plan to wet tumble everything but may in the future.

I bought some RCBS mix with my kit but want to go to the "standard" Lemishine/ Dawn combo soon.

My biggest question is how is everyone controlling all the proportions for their tumbler?

Do you weigh the amount of brass or use a container to figure out how much to start with? My tumbler says about a pound if memory serves.

From there how do you figure how much water?

I assume the 5 lbs of stainless media, a squirt of Dawn (does actual brand matter?) and a 9mm case of Lemishine are pretty standard.

Just curious on your process and even the products you use.

Thanks in advance.
    DK Firearms

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I started off with the Harbor Freight double tumbler. I used 1lb of media, 1lb brass & filled the water about 2/3 of the container. Now i use a big home made tumbler with 6" pvc & 15lbs of media. I can put about 1000 9mm or about 500 5.56.
    I use a couple squirts of Dawn... i prefer DAWN due to the grease cutting it has. Then a 9mn cap of Limi Shine. I run them for about an hour & half. Once done i rinse the brass & media with a media separator. Then towel dry to knock most the water off before they go in the food dehydrator to dry. I run temp at 150 for 1.5hrs.

20200322_124841.jpg

20200422_173221.jpg

Attachments

• 20200322_124841.jpg
      20200322_124841.jpg
      945.3 KB · Views: 518
    • 20200422_173221.jpg
      20200422_173221.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 451

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I'll make a suggestion based on a little experience cleaning a few pounds of brass

1) ditch the media unless you must have a clean flashole (it just wastes space)
    2) use burnishing compound instead of "concoctions" you found online (super clean in 10m, not an hour)
    3) dry in cob with a little polishing media for shine and tarnish protection

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I'll make a suggestion based on a little experience cleaning a few pounds of brass

1) ditch the media unless you must have a clean flashole (it just wastes space)
    2) use burnishing compound instead of "concoctions" you found online (super clean in 10m, not an hour)
    3) dry in cob with a little polishing media for shine and tarnish protection

Question about number 3. Are you using a tumbler to dry or just in a container with a lid and shake be hand? I’m new to case prep as I have only bought factory new brass from Hornady and just bought my first round of already fired brass. So I’m looking at wet tumbler over a dry one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rak320

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    El Paso
    Depending on level of dirtiness I’ll dry dry tumble first

I use a universal decapping die and then throw them in my FA wet tumbler.

I fill the tumbler about 2/3 of the way with water, add lemishine and a spoon of dawn.

Tumble for an hour or so

drain in a bucket

dry spread out on a window screen with a fan blowing across them. I usually turn them after 15-20 mins.

Grant

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Question about number 3. Are you using a tumbler to dry or just in a container with a lid and shake be hand? I’m new to case prep as I have only bought factory new brass from Hornady and just bought my first round of already fired brass. So I’m looking at wet tumbler over a dry one

I'm a little different, here is my corn cob dryer.

20201009_163136.jpg

I dont think you can go wrong with a small cob bowl from any of the big names to start with. Even if you make the leap to wet cleaning, you will still find uses for it and it is a fast way to dry brass from wet tumbling without much hassle.

Rak320

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2020
    El Paso
    Absolutely agree, it’s never a bad thing to have a dry tumbler around. I use it just as much now, as I did before I had the wet tumbler

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    You guys have convinced me to look at getting a dry tumbler before I get a wet one

Top Bottom