Military Camp

What’s your technique on cutting foam in a gun case?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Traced and used a new sharp knife (long X-Acto type blade) on mine, looks like a boars ass.

I will be custom ordering a replacement eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Fits snugly. Planning to cut out a couple slots for ammo boxes.

952E33B8-7606-4A67-AB87-9D24CF2D8FCE.jpeg

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I appreciate all the input and suggestions. A member loaned me his electric knife, and I supplemented in a couple areas with one of the large break away blades.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I appreciate all the input and suggestions. A member loaned me his electric knife, and I supplemented in a couple areas with one of the large break away blades.
    Pictures?

Silver Sharpie and electric filet knife worked well for me. Flipped the foam so the marks were on the back and used Silicone to glue it together (because it's what I had).

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Pictures?

Silver Sharpie and electric filet knife worked well for me. Flipped the foam so the marks were on the back and used Silicone to glue it together (because it's what I had).

Added a pic a bit above your post.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought another piece of foam last week and plan to do a cut out for another rifle.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Got my second foam piece cut. Both came out pretty good, though not perfect.

Need to return that knife now.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

WHERE can I buy pieces of closed cell foam?? - I looked in numerous places here in SATX & found ZILCH.
    (I need at least 53x16x 4 inches in size, to fit the shotgun/boxes of shells into the hard case.)

Fwiw, I recently found (for <5 bucks) a NICE hard-case of some sort, that was evidently made for some sort of military equipment, though I don't know what sort of equipment that it was made to contain.

That case is JUST the correct size for my "new to me" ITHACA Model 37-T trap gun, including space for boxes of shotshells, but is EMPTY inside.

THANKS for reading this post.
    yours, satx
    San Antonio, 78208

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Just bought a Rolling gun case that has the Solid foam. Tell me how you cut yours. I want actual stories of those who have done it.

thanks in advance.
    I agree with the first reply (#2). That said, why commit the case to just one weapon? I use soft cases within the hard transport case. At my destination, soft cases were more practical in my applications.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    To All,

WHERE can I buy pieces of closed cell foam?? - I looked in numerous places here in SATX & found ZILCH.
    (I need at least 53x16x 4 inches in size, to fit the shotgun/boxes of shells into the hard case.)

Fwiw, I recently found (for <5 bucks) a NICE hard-case of some sort, that was evidently made for some sort of military equipment, though I don't know what sort of equipment that it was made to contain.

That case is JUST the correct size for my "new to me" ITHACA Model 37-T trap gun, including space for boxes of shotshells, but is EMPTY inside.

THANKS for reading this post.
    yours, satx
    San Antonio, 78208

Cabelas.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I agree with the first reply (#2). That said, why commit the case to just one weapon? I use soft cases within the hard transport case. At my destination, soft cases were more practical in my applications.

Same for me. I only have 2 pelican rifle cases but a lot of different rifle configurations. You can buy extra pieces of foam so it wouldn’t be married to a particular gun but I would probably end up with over a dozen extra pieces of foam if I bought an extra for each configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom