Venture Surplus ad

What 2nd amendment rights organization to join?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alwho421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Bartlett
    I'd like to join one but every one you click on a link and it sends you not to an info about us page, but a send me your money page.
    If they would just tell me a bit before they attack my wallet, someone might get a buck or two.
    Venture Surplus ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    True of pretty much ANY organization any more...they all need money to operate.

Texas based - for me, it's Texas State Rifle Association. They maintain a full-time lobbyist, as well as some pretty expansive competitions around the state. NRA-Affiliated, but no money flows to NRA from TSRA. I'm a "Defender" member, and contribute to both the state organization AND their PAC fairly often. Their lobbyist is @AndiTurner - and she's a member of this group.

I'm also a Benefactor member of the NRA, as well as a Life Member of the 2nd Amendment Foundation.

No matter what - you NEED to be an active member of at least one state AND national group of your choice. We're in a major fight for our gun rights on both state and national levels - a fight we can't afford to lose.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I was a paid life member of the NRA many moons ago. TSRA is on my radar when I got spare scratch.

I have mixed emotions on the NRA as of late. If I was starting fresh, TSRA is where the money would flow.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I support the TSRA entirely and give often. Will keep my NRA membership, but won't give a dime more. This group turned me onto GOA. Going to cut them the first check at the end of this month. Been readinga lot and find GOA is a very effective organization.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    You may want to consider joining the GOA. They are a national pro-2A organization with full time representation here in Texas. Unlike other gun organizations they are known for their "no compromise" policy.

The GOA head lobbyist here in Texas is Rachel Malone. She is very knowledgeable about firearms and getting things done in Austin. She is the leading force pushing the Constitutional Carry bills this session.

Even if you don't join the GOA you may want to signup for the 'Action Alerts' that they send out from time to time by clicking here.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I have life memberships with NRA, CCRKBA & SAF. I recently started paying into the Firearms Policy Coalition as well as Texas State Rifle Assoc.

When it comes to 2A rights organizations, I’ll pay into as many as I can.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I can’t recommend GOA enough. Amazing group, and Rachel Malone, works her butt off here in Texas fighting for the 2nd amendment. One day I was driving to work, and I got a phone call from a number I didn’t recognize, so I let it go to voicemail. I immediately listened to the message, and it was from Rachel, just touching base, and asking if I had any concerns or questions! At the very least sign up for their emails, they will keep you informed of everything 2A related that is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    GOA and the Firearms Policy Coalition both seem to be doing a good job of defending our 2A rights. Pick one or both. I get a lot of solicitations for money from both, but you are not obligated to donate more after the membership fee. I do send money on a monthly basis to GOA and send additional funds to FPC occasionally. I want to sustain my membership in the NRA, but they need to show me something first. The NRA seems to pick the low hanging fruit at the state level. All the BS going on in Virginia, not a peep from them. I joined the VCDL for the general principle of it after what their governor Northam and his cronies did to 2A rights in that state.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I joined the National Assn for Gun Right and their Texas affiliate, TAGR for the local stuff.

When Pepe' la Pew is gone I might consider sending some to the NRA but for the time being they have all they're going to get from me. They might be the Gorilla of gun rights but somebody wake that SOB up.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I donated to GOA last year and followed up again for 2021. They work hard but for them to be impactful it’s members must do the activism and contact reps & senators as well as other local leaders. They help members gain the knowledge & tools to advocate for our rights. They are not the NRA with paid lawyers & lobbyists advocating on behalf of gun owners.

Took me a little while to figure that out since I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If you’re able and willing to step up as I see many here on TGT do (and we thank you guys & gals for that effort) then the GOA might be a good place for you to look if you’re not already a member.

I also join the ranks of not returning to the NRA until they get their shit sorted out - Pepe Le Pew has to go

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    They are not the NRA with paid lawyers & lobbyists advocating on behalf of gun owners.

I don't know where you got your false information. Did you just make it up?

The GOA does have paid lawyers and lobbyists advocating on behalf of gun owners.

You are right about one thing, the GOA is not the NRA. They actually fight for the 2A, not against it.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have been a member of the TSRA for a number of years now, and a long-time member of the NRA as well. But like many others here, the NRA will not be getting anymore money from us until they clean up their upper ranks and reform to doing what they are suppose to be doing.

I am looking to expand or change, and the GOA is very high on my radar at the moment.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Fwiw, I've been a LIFE member of NRA since 1969 (I'm currently an Endowment member & would now be a Benefactor had I not gotten "completely PO" at "Pepe la PEW") & a LIFE member of TSRA since 1984.

The NRA will get NO MORE of "my limited funds" as long as "the French skunk" is in charge.

Note: I now spend what LITTLE "extra money" that I have to DEFEAT our MORON/LEFTIST Mayor & our equally CLUELESS County Judge.

yours, satx

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I don't know where you got your false information. Did you just make it up?

The GOA does have paid lawyers and lobbyists advocating on behalf of gun owners.

You are right about one thing, the GOA is not the NRA. They actually fight for the 2A, not against it.

My bad, I should have been more specific. I should have said in Texas. Well, unless we consider Rachel a lobbyist. It’s my understanding they don’t have any lawyers or lobbyists in Texas but my information may have been pre 2018 so if this is not accurate I’ll apologize for posting something that wasn’t accurate. I’ll see if I can contact their texas office to confirm.

But no sir, I didn’t just make it up. That’s what I thought was correct. Time to dig a little deeper.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I found it and I was wrong. GOA has 2 registered lobbyist with the Texas Ethics Commission. One of them being Rachel. Interestingly enough Rachel was the only registered lobbyist from 2018 thru 2020 so GOA has upped their game and we now have 2.

Consolation prize (for my bruised & embarrassed ego) there were not any GOA registered lobbyist prior to 2018.

I digress .......

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm a Golden Eagle with the NRA. I'm also a lifer with the SAF, TSRA, IHMSA, GSSF...uh, wait, those aren't all advocacy orgs.

If you want to support efforts in Texas, go with GOA or TSRA. If you want to support national efforts, GOA or FPC.

I suggest all of them.

I'd also like to suggest you take a look at competitive organizations. The NRA is the big daddy there but there are hundreds of others. They all encourage people to get out and shoot; that's always worth supporting.

Also, look into specialty outreach efforts. There are orgs that sit on the nexus of the 2A and pretty much everything else. If there's an organization that pays attention to something you are interested in, join 'em. It's too big a subject to tackle here but it's worth looking into.

Top Bottom