Hurley's Gold

What are the benefits of being an NRA member?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    What are the benefits of being an NRA member?

This isn't a rant thread, too many of you have comprehension issues.

ETA: or maybe self-control issues. I suffer from that on occasion.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Thank god you didn't. They call you from like 3 different numbers if not more.

Not nearly as bad as the U.S. Department of Agriculture ! I finally had to talk with them after having "blocked" eight of their extension numbers from Cheyenne, WY. When I asked the fellow how many gosh darn extensions they have, he couldn't even tell me; said they have two different locations running two shifts! All for an Ag survey and this is a continually running thing: annual & quarterly (your tax dollars at work!).
    --
    P.S. - I don't get calls from the NRA either; didn't give them my number.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I have been thinking lately on becoming a member of the NRA. I want to hear from actual people associated with them or who have been members in the past to give me some insight. Is it worth it? Why or why not?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get a decent monthly magazine and some minor swag. You get a lot of junkmail but you can opt out. You can also make direct contributions to their political arm.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You get a decent gun magazine...

I'm an Endowment member. They do some important work that doesn't get talked about much. I like the Eddie Eagle program a lot. They also have programs that help people become instructors, range officers, build ranges, become gunsmiths, get insurance, etc... Lot's of benefits burred under the political crap.

LazermanTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    Plano-Dallas- South Africa
    You get a decent gun magazine...

I'm an Endowment member. They do some important work that doesn't get talked about much. I like the Eddie Eagle program a lot. They also have programs that help people become instructors, range officers, build ranges, become gunsmiths, get insurance, etc... Lot's of benefits burred under the political crap.

What's the difference between "Endowment " and " Lifetime" and one other name I heard floating around??

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Any answers to my question?

You mean this one?

What's the difference between "Endowment " and " Lifetime" and one other name I heard floating around??

In my experience, the amount of swag they send you and the amount of money you get charged.

Buying higher levels of membership doesn't really get you anything that you can't also get at the lowest level, whether you're talking about the discounts on merchandise, the insurance, the various other marketing programs, or the joint representation before officialdom. Once you reach Golden Eagle (which is just past beyond Lifetime/Benefactor/Endowment) you'll get some nicer swag, including a hat. The hat comes with a letter from Wayne LaPierre in which he promises he will stop and shake your hand if he sees you wearing it. No, I am not kidding about this.

Then you can go even further and, if you spend enough (read: a ton of) money, you'll get invited to speak at various functions assuming they can find even the slightest justification for inviting you. You can also avail yourself of VIP treatment at the annual meeting, though that mostly incurs an event-specific cost.

I'm sorry if that's a letdown. Higher level memberships, in my view, are sort of a scam until you graduate up to Golden Eagle. They're a scam, that is, if you're looking to get some personal benefit. Ultimately, their utility is in the fact that you get the warm fuzzies from knowing you're supporting a good cause. For me, that's worth a few bucks every year. YMMV.

Just FYI, I'm an NRA Golden Eagle and a Life Member of TSRA, SAF, GSSF, and IHMSA. If USA Shooting ever offers a discount, I'll become a Lifer there, too, but I'm not in the mood to spend $1000 for the membership that will provide me the least benefit of all those mentioned.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is there a place on their website to see all the things the NRA offers?

Yes. Here: http://membership.nrahq.org/benefits.asp

From that page:

NRA Member Benefits
    These basic membership benefits are automatically included with your NRA Annual Membership or Life Membership, along with special members-only discounts and services.
    • An official NRA Membership ID card - showing your Membership ID number and expiration date or Life Member status. You should carry this card with you at all times.
    • With all regular memberships, you will get a choice of subscription to American Rifleman, American Hunter, or America's 1st Freedom. (Premium Digital Editions now available)
    • Junior members receive a subscription to Insights.
    • Annual members receive $5,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of renewal. (Does not include Junior membership.)
    • Life members receive $10,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of upgrade to Life member status
    • Law Enforcement Officers, that are NRA members, killed in the line of duty will have $25,000 in coverage.
    • $2,500 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage.
      For purposes of insurance, NRA members must be current active members of the NRA whose name appears on the NRA membership list. Activation Required. Click here to activate.
    • New and Enhanced insurance coverages through the NRA Endorsed Insurance Programs. Enroll on-line for Life, Health and Accident and Individual Property and Liability insurance or call Toll free 1-877-NRA-3006 (1-877-672-3006.) New Commercial Property Liability Insurance Program for NRA Affiliated Clubs and Business Alliance Members, visit on-line or call Toll Free 1-877-487-5407.
    • The most important benefit of NRA membership, however, is the defense of your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. NRA-ILA tracks the issues and alerts members about legislation involving firearms and hunting at the federal, state and local levels of government. Successful legislative action begins with you -- the individual member. For information regarding legislative action or to become an ILA grassroots volunteer, call 1-800-392-8683.
    If you have questions about your NRA membership, please send e-mail to membership@nrahq.org

ETA: That list is not all-inclusive. There are specific types of benefits available to active competition shooters and to certification holders. If you become either of those things, you'll be exposed to all that stuff in the natural course of things.

And there's probably other stuff I've forgotten, mostly having to do with supporting businesses who are involved in hunting or outdoor and shooting sports.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom