Guns International

What are the chances our Supreme Court strikes down the NFA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are the chances our Supreme Court strikes down the NFA?

• Good

Votes: 1 1.8%
    • Could happen

Votes: 9 15.8%
    • Not likely

Votes: 26 45.6%
    • Not a chance in hell

Votes: 21 36.8%

• Total voters

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I would give it a 50/50 chance under this court if the only precedent were Miller.

Unfortunately, we have (the bad parts of) Heller. In that decision, Scalia screwed us over so hard that the NFA is now permanent. Maybe some tweaks could happen but striking it down is a pipe dream. There's not a chance in hell.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... some random guy decided to ... shoot his bumpstocked rifle at the same tempo as a machine gun consistently ...
    I'm not sure what you were hearing. I used to use my bumpstock quite a bit and observe others doing the same. I'm familiar with the sound of a bumpstock being used and the sound of a machine gun being fired.

In no way did the Las Vegas guy shoot "at the same tempo as a machine gun consistently." Not even close. Literally 10 seconds after I heard the first report on TV from the site of the shooting, I turned to my sister and said "At least the bad guy is using a bumpstock; he won't be nearly as effective as if he had a real machine gun." The difference was obvious; his use of a bumpstock was instantly recognizable.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I'm not sure what you were hearing. I used to use my bumpstock quite a bit and observe others doing the same. I'm familiar with the sound of a bumpstock being used and the sound of a machine gun being fired.

In no way did the Las Vegas guy shoot "at the same tempo as a machine gun consistently." Not even close. Literally 10 seconds after I heard the first report on TV from the site of the shooting, I turned to my sister and said "At least the bad guy is using a bumpstock; he won't be nearly as effective as if he had a real machine gun." The difference was obvious; his use of a bumpstock was instantly recognizable.
    What I heard definitely sounded like a machine gun. I have no idea which videos you saw. I saw a ton of them back then. Maybe what I saw was edited who knows for sure. Ill defer to your expertise on bumpstocks though

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    We can't even get republicans to introduce and push a hearing protection act to get pieces of the NFA taken down. Suppressors aren't even guns but are more regulated than the thing they're designed to accessorize. I'd take that as a good first step; make suppressors just accessories or even on the same level as buying a gun today, then start focusing on SBRs, SBSs, and AOW stuff, but leave machine guns and explosive launchers on the NFA. And before you say it, no it shouldn't be as restrictive but if they kill us with 1000 papercuts, we should do it back.
    ... especially since several states have passed laws attempting to protect suppressors against federal overreach.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

As was his use of surefire and other over 30 round mags by the stoppages. Jam o mattics.

From what I understand half his weapons were discarded with partial mags due to jams. He just dropped em.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As was his use of surefire and other over 30 round mags by the stoppages. Jam o mattics.

From what I understand half his weapons were discarded with partial mags due to jams. He just dropped em.
    I was amazed that he knew his rifles, the way he had them equipped and the way he was going to use them, would be unreliable. He knew it. But instead of figuring how to make a rifle or two reliable, he just took a bunch of unreliable rifles and ditched each one as soon as he had a stoppage.

The lack of logic in the details of that attack still astounds me.

He was going to commit mass murder yet he wasn't sufficiently motivated to make, test, and employ some sort of full-auto rifle? What? Was he afraid of the ATF over an NFA violation more than he was afraid of Nevada officials over committing mass murder?

So much of that story just doesn't make sense. The man wasn't just evil; he was crazy and stupid, too.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I thought it was an under cover agent selling guns to terrorists to track them (much like fast and furious). The terrorists find out it's a trap, shoot the agent and used the real machine guns we were selling on the crowd. Just my assumption based on multiple shooters from the hotel, no evidence released and some las vegas pd people spoke out about shady stuff. That whole ordeal reaks of doj mission gone awry. They even had armed helicopters patrolling.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I was amazed that he knew his rifles, the way he had them equipped and the way he was going to use them, would be unreliable. He knew it. But instead of figuring how to make a rifle or two reliable, he just took a bunch of unreliable rifles and ditched each one as soon as he had a stoppage.

He was going to commit mass murder yet he wasn't sufficiently motivated to make, test, and employ some sort of full-auto rifle? What? Was he afraid of the ATF over an NFA violation more than he was afraid of Nevada officials over committing mass murder?

So much of that story just doesn't make sense. The man wasn't just evil; he was crazy and stupid, too.
    It doesn't make sense, because that's not what happened.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

I think, just my opinion b as used on his actions, his primary target was the fuel tanks he started in on with his 308 AP ammo he had made.

I think his plan fell apart after that.

He definitely was lackadaisical at best in his weapon procurement and preperation.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Before the Hughes act Automatic FIREARMS were pretty common. Frankly the 2nd amendment protects ALL arms. Suppressors is an accessory so I GUESS they could get away with it, but it's stupid that countries with stricter firearms laws than us require a suppressor and anyone who is 18 can go buy one without any paperwork.

And NO the NFA does not protect anything from anything. A tyrannical legislature (or executive) branch can easily, with a stroke of a pen, make it completely illegal with no grandfather clause. If they thought they could get away with it they'd outlaw all of them.
    I have always found that odd myself.
    I have been even more surprised that OSHA has not required them for law enforcement and security professions where a firearm is a required piece of equipment.
    If Police had to use pneumatic or other power tools, they would have to take steps to protect their hearing. But guns are bad, so don't count I guess

davidindallas

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    THREAD REVIVAL! This is interesting...

This will sound bad but I hope things stay the same as far as machineguns.
    I have a SUBSTANTIAL investment in them. Part of my retirement fund. Perhaps 10% of my total retirement investments.

I sold my pride and joy 1921 Thompson and others when Biden was elected fearing all their talk of stacking the SCOTUS and adding DC and Puerto Rico as "states" with anti-gun senators.

Overturning the machinegun part of the NFA would devalue these guns by 90% or more.

The SBR part of the NFA act never should have been included in the first place. It was a compromise with some pistol manufacturers.

Top Bottom