Hurley's Gold

What are the deals out there in the gun world and what is overpriced?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Shoulda bought ammo in 2011? Im sure there are guys out there who kick themselves for not buying in 2011,2010....and on and on.

I dont scoff at those who got broadsided by this nor slap myself on the back for being prepared. No value in that but to feed the ego.
    I'm pretty sure prices will come down some more. It'll never be what they were with inflation constantly going up, but we're still tapering out of "Ammo Panic 2013" ™ at this point.

I'm not scoffing at anyone who was caught unprepared with this last panic. I was one of those that was unprepared for 2009, but I learned my lesson. When it's cheap, stack it deep! It'll be cheap again and I urge everyone to buy as much as you can when it is.

...and yeah, being prepared is a good feeling so I do pat myself on the back. Oorah, Ego! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!! :machine:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I'm pretty sure prices will come down some more. It'll never be what they were with inflation constantly going up, but we're still tapering out of "Ammo Panic 2013" ™ at this point.

I'm not scoffing at anyone who was caught unprepared with this last panic. I was one of those that was unprepared for 2009, but I learned my lesson. When it's cheap, stack it deep! It'll be cheap again and I urge everyone to buy as much as you can when it is.

...and yeah, being prepared is a good feeling so I do pat myself on the back. Oorah, Ego! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!! :machine:

Not trying to be an ass, but what do you think cheap will be? Some items and calibers, I just can't see getting any cheaper then they are today.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Some items and calibers, I just can't see getting any cheaper then they are today.

I may have scared him off with my ego comment. Perhaps hes somewhere on a buddist humility retreat.

So ill play while we await his return with closely shorn locks.

What dont you see coming down? Also we talking guns ammo or both?

Im sure the big guys like midway et al, have the databases with historical numbers.

I do agree with TheDan regarding inflation messing with even static prices. Oh wait the gov says there is nearly no inflation. Good!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I may have scared him off with my ego comment. Perhaps hes somewhere on a buddist humility retreat.

So ill play while we await his return with closely shorn locks.

What dont you see coming down? Also we talking guns ammo or both?

Im sure the big guys like midway et al, have the databases with historical numbers.

I do agree with TheDan regarding inflation messing with even static prices. Oh wait the gov says there is nearly no inflation. Good!

Well overall and not specific:
    As far as guns. I could see AK's coming down a bit. But not by a whole lot more.
    AR's I think have bottomed out. Components certainly have!
    You may see some sales here or there, but I don't think they will go much lower.
    Other models I really can't speak about as they are sometimes in a class all by themselves, their price is dependent upon demand.

Ammo, well I think 7.62x39 has bottomed out as well. Again, a sale here or there, but not overall.

5.56 was back to what it was in the retail stores pre Sandy Hook, but it seems there was a yearly increase on all ammo that just recently went into effect. I don't think you are going to see it dip below .40 something cents a round locally, and that would be a sale price, certainly not regular pricing. I've done a bit better online and in bulk.

308/7.62 NATO - I have always bought online and in bulk except for the few boxes of Monarch I'll grab every now and then. Years ago I was paying $12-$14 a box for Privi FMJ and it seems like they are right about in the same range today. Unfortunately, the surplus market seems to have gone away on all the good stuff like South African, Radway, etc.. I missed the mark on buying that when I could have.

Speaking of surplus, 7.62 x 54R I believe is where it is going to be as well :banghead:. It seems like $80 to $90 a can is where it is at and rising. I've been stocking up.

Anyway, that is just my observations and no means based on anything more then what I think, which may or may not add up to much to others, but it's all this guys got at the moment. That is why I am enjoying this thread specifically.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    lol, no... I thought it was hilarious. I can't respond every five minutes to a thread. I'm too busy working for more ammo money ;)

Not trying to be an ass, but what do you think cheap will be? Some items and calibers, I just can't see getting any cheaper then they are today.
    Well, that's kinda fuzzy wuzzy. As an example, I think xm193 is probably about as cheap as its going to get right now, but the Russian .223 was completely absent from the market for a long time. I think the prices on it are still inflated on that stuff. I expect the polymer coated stuff to come down to 22¢ a round or so. The nickle plated stuff I'd expect be around 29¢ a round. This might drive the price of xm193 down a little more, but I doubt it.

Come to think of it, this is a decent deal: Colt .223 Rem 62gr FMJ 500 Rnds - JEK Inc

Hence my suggestion we "dollar cost average" because we really dont know.
    That's not a bad strategy. It is a consumable after all... You're going to shoot it regardless whether you paid a lot or a little for it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ive got cans with labels on them that are not to be shot. Im considering zip tying them closed.

Then ive got my consumable cans of ammo or ammo cans. The ammo is consumable. Not the cans.

Xm193 at GTs for $180/500 rounds. Thats a good deal but i dont need anymore of that.

I need to get some 762x39 as it is appealing right now due to price and i dont even have a gun for it.

I was considering stocking up in 308 but scoffed at the price. May buy a case of 9mm. Its starting to get normal. Im done looking for 22LR. I tried Academy 4 times this week shortly after 8. They are getting it in but its going to the guys who line up at 7. Ive got enough. They can keep it.

So thats my ammo info and logic.

AKs are looking decent again, ARs are as low as ive seen them in my short few years in this "hobby".

M1As are high price still and not widely available.

Used police trade ins are usually a good deal if you need a "hi cap" handgun or to tuck one away for a rainy day. Wide variety too.

Shotguns and bolt action rifles seem to not spike or fall in these shortages so thats not really a category for us to consider.

So i guess at this point im more interested in buying ammo i feel is cheap 762x39 and will keep dollar cost averaging the other calibers a box or two at a time while waiting for gun prices to settle out although if the AKs come down another 10% i might be a buyer.

Now if only scope and red dot prices would fall!

This forum is my job. If you dont hear from me within 5 minutes, form a search party. Bring bacon for Rick.

Top Bottom