• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Production numbers and sales are pretty much irrelevant to performance. People buy all kinds of dumb shit(not saying the XD is), what they buy shouldn't be linked to the product's quality. Mossberg chainsaws and hi points come to mind, hell Llama has sold a lot more 1911s than Nighthawk.

Although it's true that hi points have had very high sales, price them comparably to Glock or XD and they would be out of business in a month. Same scenario with Llama.

The Mossberg "chainsaw" is a gimmick and is not as relevant a comparison as the XD is to other handguns that follow the same basic design. It doesn't have any special gimmicky handles or flashing lights.

So, when a product is designed that follows the basic form and price as the competition I would say that sales numbers become much more relevant.

I haven't actually seen anyone with a "chainsaw" and I would bet the sales are dismal compared to standard shotguns and pistol grip shotguns.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I used to have an XD 40 Service model.

My issues with the XD were as follows:

The finish on the slide wore really fast and it rusted easily. I also never liked the long trigger re-set....it is annoying if you have shot Glocks for a long period. I went back to Glock and have not looked back. You know that you can modify the Glock grip or add a Grip Force adapter and change the Glock's grip...don't you?

The Glock is just easier to work on, get parts for and the support is out there in tons for this platform.

Until HK releases their striker fired P-30....I am sticking with the 3rd gen G19 and G17 for my primary defensive pistols.

-brickboy240

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Although it's true that hi points have had very high sales, price them comparably to Glock or XD and they would be out of business in a month. Same scenario with Llama.

The Mossberg "chainsaw" is a gimmick and is not as relevant a comparison as the XD is to other handguns that follow the same basic design. It doesn't have any special gimmicky handles or flashing lights.

So, when a product is designed that follows the basic form and price as the competition I would say that sales numbers become much more relevant.

I haven't actually seen anyone with a "chainsaw" and I would bet the sales are dismal compared to standard shotguns and pistol grip shotguns.

If you consider stales a relevant statistic wouldn't that show both glock and m&p to he superior pistols?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you consider stales a relevant statistic wouldn't that show both glock and m&p to he superior pistols?

I never argued it to be superior, I only refuted your claim that sales numbers were irrelevant.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Your opinion only. The XD is an extremely popular handgun and I rather doubt it would be so if it had, as you claim, "rather serious ergonomic problems." Actually, many consider its ergonomics a vast improvement over the Glock.

What I stated was not as much of an opinion as it is a fact. Look at the actual shape and profile of the XD grip in comparison to the Glock. Both are extremely rectangular. Both effectively have the grip arch that people so often complain about. Due to the shape of the grip of the XD with the backstrap indentation for the grip safety, it means the bottom half of the backstrap is effectively the "arch". The profile and angle is slightly different, but it's an arch nonetheless. This is simple geometry. So what, then, do you consider to be a "vast" improvement in ergonomics over the Glock? I would consider the M&P, H&K P30, Walther P99 to all be vast improvements in ergonomics. I would consider the XD-M to be a significant improvement over the XD. My standpoint, which is derived purely from the simple geometry I've described, is that there is not a demonstrably significant difference between the two in terms of ergonomics.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    I'll have to see if I can get Jason or Jeff to chime in as they've seen more XDs than I have. My limited time with them, they generally have no significantly different failure rate than Glock, S&W, HK, Sig, or any other top tier manufacturer. I don't think they are worth the price currently charged for them but, personal preferences aside, they work just fine.

Back in 2006-2007, there was a minor issue with the trigger return springs. They would break, almost like clock work at 2000 rounds. BUT, this was limited to a specific production run and the springs were all replaced under warranty without issue. The spring can certainly still break and if it does, the gun is a brick until it can be repaired.

The only XD specific issue I occasionally see now is a roll-pin that retains the striker. Sometimes, this pin breaks. While under most circumstances, the gun seems to continue running, I've seen that pin get down into the gun in a manner that stops the gun and again, turns it into a brick. Twice, I've seen this lock the gun up such that it had to go back to Springfield. Their magazines lips seems a little soft but, I haven't had much time with the newer XDM yet.

The reality is, you'll find plenty wrong with EVERY gun if you look hard enough. Most of us will never have any issues with the guns we own because there simply aren't a lot of us putting enough rounds through our guns to discover the things that break. Jason is certified armorer for his agency seeing hundreds of guns a year while Jeff operates a range where he sees hundreds of guns a week. They are seeing a larger sample than most of us. FWIW, Colt did a study almost 40 years ago in which they claimed the average gun, from the day it's purchased to the day the owner draws his last breath, fires only seven rounds. Relatively few shooters put more than 5000 rounds through a single gun over their lifetime while the mean number of rounds between failures for many of the top tier guns is in excess of 20,000 rounds.

Last edited:

XDMex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Only problem I ever had with mine, was it feeding. I had some hollowpoints in my mag for a while and I think the rubber from the tips caused friction when I tried to shoot target ammo out of it. It wouldn't feed the rounds properly. Since I stopped using those rounds, I've never had any problems

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    What I stated was not as much of an opinion as it is a fact. Look at the actual shape and profile of the XD grip in comparison to the Glock. Both are extremely rectangular. Both effectively have the grip arch that people so often complain about. Due to the shape of the grip of the XD with the backstrap indentation for the grip safety, it means the bottom half of the backstrap is effectively the "arch". The profile and angle is slightly different, but it's an arch nonetheless. This is simple geometry. So what, then, do you consider to be a "vast" improvement in ergonomics over the Glock? I would consider the M&P, H&K P30, Walther P99 to all be vast improvements in ergonomics. I would consider the XD-M to be a significant improvement over the XD. My standpoint, which is derived purely from the simple geometry I've described, is that there is not a demonstrably significant difference between the two in terms of ergonomics.

SIG_Fiend - I normally agree with you on just about everything, but as a man who has grown up shooting 1911s his whole life, trying a Glock for the first time was something akin to trying to shoot a wooden chair leg. The grip angle is most assuredly different. Maybe not different enough to be hugely visibly noticeable, but definitely hugely different. Grip angle is all-important to me when choosing a handgun because I've trained to be a quick-draw point-shooter my whole life. My XD points exactly like my 1911s did and do - Glocks do not. I don't even use the sights on my XD or 1911s within 50 ft when shooting cans, steel, and pie plates. I only use my sights when I need to make a deliberately super-accurate or long-range shot. When I tried point shooting with two different Glocks, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Even a few degrees makes all the difference in the world.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I don't even use the sights on my XD or 1911s within 50 ft when shooting cans, steel, and pie plates. I only use my sights when I need to make a deliberately super-accurate or long-range shot.

50ft? I am sure you are just being humble and it's really more like 100 yards.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    SIG_Fiend - I normally agree with you on just about everything, but as a man who has grown up shooting 1911s his whole life, trying a Glock for the first time was something akin to trying to shoot a wooden chair leg. The grip angle is most assuredly different. Maybe not different enough to be hugely visibly noticeable, but definitely hugely different. Grip angle is all-important to me when choosing a handgun because I've trained to be a quick-draw point-shooter my whole life. My XD points exactly like my 1911s did and do - Glocks do not. I don't even use the sights on my XD or 1911s within 50 ft when shooting cans, steel, and pie plates. I only use my sights when I need to make a deliberately super-accurate or long-range shot. When I tried point shooting with two different Glocks, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Even a few degrees makes all the difference in the world.

How dare you argue with his "facts!"

Seriously, it's pure opinion despite what he claims. The XD/XDM is one of the most popular polymer semi-auto handguns around and many of its advocates are former Glock lovers who have seen the light and prefer the more naturally-shooting 1911-style grip.

These so-called "facts" are the same rhetoric I've seen on numerous Glock forums, and these fanboys cannot accept the fact that many prefer the Springfield over the Glock.

I was a huge fan of Glocks, even carried one when I could in Bosnia (it was a vast improvement over the Beretta M9 I was issued); but the truth is when I first shot an XD back in 2006 I quickly realized it was a much better design and I could shoot quicker and more accurately than with the Austrian pistol it was based on.

I also realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but to try to convince me that the Glock is a superior design just makes me laugh, especially when someone claims that's a "fact." Well, it's not, it's an opinion and couched as such I can accept it; but to claim it that it is supported by indisputable evidence just makes me smile and roll my eyes....

Top Bottom