• ...and so much more!
  • itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I was shooting at the sharp shooter in corpus one day. There was a kid there shooting 2 shields one in 9mm and one in .40. He let me run a few maths through the 9mm. My opinion was its a damn sweet gun. I didn't notice anything bad about the trigger.
    DK Firearms

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Gee, I don't think you could tell the difference between the original (first) Glock from an XD.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Gee, I don't think you could tell the difference between the original (first) Glock from an XD.

Other than almost completely different, I guess they are pretty much the same.

Surprised they didn't get his for some kind of patent infringement.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The grip safety on the XD is pointless, and in some cases can be a serious problem/liability.

Have to disagree here. I grew up shooting 1911s and I appreciate the extra peace of mind since there is no manual safety. I sleep with mine under a pillow to the right of my head. I would never do that with a Glock. We have cats. I can imagine a cat getting its paw stuck in the trigger guard of a Glock and causing an accidental discharge. For the same thing to happen with an XD, it would have to be depressing the grip safety as well. I've never had an issue with grip safeties on 1911s or XDs and I've been shooting for over 30 years. Grip safety hate is spread by Glock fanboys. If you want a gun that all you have to do is pick up and pull the trigger, buy a wheelgun.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Have to disagree here. I grew up shooting 1911s and I appreciate the extra peace of mind since there is no manual safety. I sleep with mine under a pillow to the right of my head. I would never do that with a Glock. We have cats. I can imagine a cat getting its paw stuck in the trigger guard of a Glock and causing an accidental discharge. For the same thing to happen with an XD, it would have to be depressing the grip safety as well. I've never had an issue with grip safeties on 1911s or XDs and I've been shooting for over 30 years. Grip safety hate is spread by Glock fanboys. If you want a gun that all you have to do is pick up and pull the trigger, buy a wheelgun.

As a former XDsc owner, I can think of a lot of good reasons to have a grip safety......keeping it under my pillow isn't one of them.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Under a pillow... Okay, that's certainly one way to do it.

People apparently didn't read a single word of what I wrote, because they are totally missing the point. The issue I'm specifically referring to with the XD grip safety, is that it locks the slide and prevents the slide from moving (the slide moves maybe 1/4" or closer to 1/2" and then just STOPS unless the grip safety is depressed). That feature serves no purpose whatsoever. In terms of the typical function of a grip safety, preventing the gun from being fired, that's all fine, and I don't really have an issue with that. It serves no purpose locking the slide from functioning, however. If the grip safety didn't lock the slide, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Of course, people are welcome to throw names and insults at me, as that's far easier than having an actual debate or addressing any of the actual technical issues I've raised...

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The issue I'm specifically referring to with the XD grip safety, is that it locks the slide and prevents the slide from moving (the slide moves maybe 1/4" or closer to 1/2" and then just STOPS unless the grip safety is depressed). That feature serves no purpose whatsoever. In terms of the typical function of a grip safety, preventing the gun from being fired, that's all fine, and I don't really have an issue with that. It serves no purpose locking the slide from functioning, however. If the grip safety didn't lock the slide, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

This is different than the backstrap safety on a 1911 which does NOT lock the slide correct?

I read often of the XD backstrap safety being compared to a 1911 but from my limited understanding they do not function entirely the same.

DarkwingDuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    The issue I'm specifically referring to with the XD grip safety, is that it locks the slide and prevents the slide from moving (the slide moves maybe 1/4" or closer to 1/2" and then just STOPS unless the grip safety is depressed). That feature serves no purpose whatsoever. In terms of the typical function of a grip safety, preventing the gun from being fired, that's all fine, and I don't really have an issue with that. It serves no purpose locking the slide from functioning, however. If the grip safety didn't lock the slide, I wouldn't have an issue with it.
    No names or insults to be thrown ... however not all XD pistols are the same. The slide on the XDs (the single stack pistol, not plural XD) can be racked when the grip safety is NOT depressed.

Start at 2:30 - 2:34

DWD

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No names or insults to be thrown ... however not all XD pistols are the same. The slide on the XDs (the single stack pistol, not plural XD) can be racked when the grip safety is NOT depressed.

DWD

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up on that. The XD-S I have very little experience with, and still have yet to shoot one. I would say removing that aspect for the XD-S is a definite product improvement, and one they would hopefully bring to the other two platforms as well.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

DWD

I didnt know that. That is almost worse! Why not be consistent? If a guy had a full size and a XDS that is bananas that they arent similar in operation.

Glock wins again.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Naw, I've shot the XDs 3.3 and it's a fine little shooter for a non 1911. Thinking of getting one. Slightly smaller than my 1911 compact but quite a bit lighter for concealed carry.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I wouldn't go so far as to say "there are issues with the XD" I'd rather tell you that no one would give a crap about them if they were still called HS2000s and were sold for half the current price like they were when they debuted. I personally have no appreciation for the un-necessary grip safety and see ZERO performance benefits over any other striker fired pistol. If you have managed to convince yourself that the grip safety is a plus then good for you.

The reality is, in either an experienced shooter or a complete rookies hands, a glock will beat the pants off them all day long. Before you blast back at me, consider that I am a hammer fired fan all day long but would still carry my g19 above the other 20+ pistols I own on any given sunday. Those include 1911 platforms, grandpowers, berettas, S&Ws, FNs, rugers, walthers, glocks and several revolvers. The Xd is not a sub par gun but for a full size auto, I would trust my life several others before I opt for an XD.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Huh. I find the grip safety kind of handy when re-holstering IWB @ 5 o'clock (XD subcompact). By placing my thumb on the back of the slide I can't contact the grip safety and should the trigger catch on a blind re-holster I'm less likely to shoot myself in the ass. What (specifically) is your complaint with the [useless] grip safety? I haven't noticed it interferes with the weapon's operation through thousands of rounds. My DAO S&W for example has no safety and I don't object to it but I don't choose to carry it behind my back either.

Can't speak to the assertion "a Glock will beat the pants off them all day long" as I don't own any Glocks though I've shot a few and really didn't notice much difference in my ability to hit a target. In fact the M&Ps, revolvers and other various pistols I own all seem capable of launching a projectile pretty much equally (except that Model 19, love that gun). I'd trust my life to any of them but I agree, wouldn't own a weapon I couldn't trust.

Of course I'm not a "super-tactical-high-speed-low-drag-operator" or "top-tier-competition-shooter", just a guy who shoots when I get the chance so maybe my opinion should be considered in light of those facts.

ShellbackBill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    I had a Glock 26. Just didn't like it. Traded it for an XDs .45. I like it.

That's all I need to know.

Ya'll can banter back and forth. I just sit over here and be happy.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    The xds is single stack and .45. What's not to like? It'll fit in your pocket. I have a full size xd45. Holds 13+1 rounds of .45. Pretty frickin cool. I'm a glock guy and would prefer a g21 but the xd45 is a damn fine gun. It goes bang every time and eats any ammo I feed it. It's my truck console gun. It's rugged as hell and reliable. If I ever get a g21 I'll keep the xd45 in its same role. Xd s are great weapons and so are glocks. You can own both. I do. My favorite plastic gun is the glock 17. It's a fine weapon. But if I found a good deal on a xd9 damn right i'd snag it up.

Top Bottom