What are the pros and cons of the FAL rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Considering how popular they were with worldwide militaries im surprised they arent more popular here in the US.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The only thing I would add is buy a metric pattern....Inch pattern parts and magazines are harder to come by.

I had my L1A1 barrel shortened to 16 inches and threaded. One of my favorite rifles.

l1a1.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Lot of it goes back to the politics and prejudices that got the US military the M-14.

Only two countries widely adopedted it as their MBR, US and Taiwan. FAL was adopted by 90+ countries.

Great ergonomics. Acceptable accuracy for a battle rifle. The M1A/M14 is easier to make into a top notch tack driver than the FAL.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Lot of it goes back to the politics and prejudices that got the US military the M-14.

Only two countries widely adopedted it as their MBR, US and Taiwan. FAL was adopted by 90+ countries.

Great ergonomics. Acceptable accuracy for a battle rifle. The M1A/M14 is easier to make into a top notch tack driver than the FAL.

^^^^^^

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Civilian view of AR15 as ultimate weapon follows.

I do find the unending love for the AR15 a bit much. Yes. Its modular. Yes it is light.

There are much better options for civilians though. The most glaring issue with AR is that many people dont consider how it fits into the military. Yes guys are hauling around M4s right now, but in a typical fire team, yes there are 3 ARs but one of those has grenade launcher mounted to it and there is also a guy with an M249 or M240B and if we looked at mechanized infantry and vehicle mounted and crew served weapons thats where the REAL heavy hitters are!

If you rock an AR for 3 gun thats cool. I guess im a bit exhausted with how adored and common the AR is now.

Its good. Its not great.

Status
    Top Bottom