ARJ Defense ad

What are your favorite resources for BASIC pistol shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I am wondering if you all have any favorite training aid, manuals, books, videos, etc......

I am looking to find more information to help me as a coach with 4h. We are just starting up. It's going to be used to coach school aged young people.

Thanks
    DK Firearms

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Check out Personal Defense Network. I'm pretty sure they have some basic pistol DVD's, tho most may be geared towards defensive shooting.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Teach them to shoot one handed so they learn how to maintain the sight picture while pulling the trigger and then follow through. If you can't shoot a handgun good with one hand, don't expect to do much better with two.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I just want to say I appreciate what you are doing with 4-H. It's really an important thing. Thank you.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    To be honest, the best basic book I've read is "Trouble Shooting" by Gabby Franco. It is, literally, a basic shooting guide for "dummies". It goes through all the basics of grip, stance, trigger pull, etc. And I'm not sure if it would work for you but, there are also basic exercises at the end of each chapter. I say it may not work because it involves various homework in the way of stance practice, dry and live firing and so on.

You can get a copy on Amazon for about $25.00 +-. Or if you're close enough, I might be able to loan you mine if you want to look through it to see it it'll work for ya.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    To be honest, the best basic book I've read is "Trouble Shooting" by Gabby Franco. It is, literally, a basic shooting guide for "dummies". It goes through all the basics of grip, stance, trigger pull, etc. And I'm not sure if it would work for you but, there are also basic exercises at the end of each chapter. I say it may not work because it involves various homework in the way of stance practice, dry and live firing and so on.

You can get a copy on Amazon for about $25.00 +-. Or if you're close enough, I might be able to loan you mine if you want to look through it to see it it'll work for ya.

This is great and the kind of stuff I'm looking for, thank you.

If anyone has some great visual aids, sight picture signs and such or where you can get them, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njrefugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    I am an instructor with Project Appleseed, where we similarly deal with lots of kids and new shooters. We teach rifles, but the fundamental marksmanship principals are the same. We break it down into 6 steps to firing a shot:
    1. Sight Alignment
    2. Sight Picture
    3. Respiratory Pause (fire at the bottom of your breathing cycle -- no holding your breath)
    4. Focus your eye on the front sight, while focusing your mind on keeping the front sight aligned properly on your target
    5. Squeeze the trigger. (There are lots of additional parts to this, in terms of finger placement, trigger control, etc.)
    6. Follow-through (take a mental picture of where your front sight was on the target when the shot broke so you can call your shots, and also hold the trigger to the rear.)

Separately, we deal specifically with trigger control in the context of shot cadence. Basically, we tell the students that their finger should not leave the trigger until all required shots are fired on a specific target. A retracting ball-point pen with the click thing at the back is a great prop for teaching this. Just let the trigger out enough to hear/feel the reset. Aligning your trigger control with your breathing allows you to fire one well-aimed shot for each breathing cycle, or about every 2 seconds. When you are done inhaling, the trigger should reset, when you are done exhaling, you break the next shot.

This website has some good pics describing sight alignment, sight picture and the way things look when you are focusing on the front sight. http://mancavehq.weebly.com/merica/sight-alignment-sight-picture

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I encourage new shooters to use 1" dots on the BACK of their targets! That encourages them to concentrate on sight alignment. For a reasonably good shooter, switching to 1" dots will cut their group size by 1/2.

Flash

Top Bottom