ARJ Defense ad

What are your opinions on the best handguard for an AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    I have started buying parts to build my first AR-15. I will purchase a 16-inche barrel, so first question - what length handguard should I buy?
    What about things like picatinney rail all around vs. keymod mounts, etc? Over time I plan accessories like night vision, flashlight, laser, bipod, etc. and I want flexibility for the type shooting I'm doing at the moment. Suggestions welcome.
    Thanx
    Military Camp

Alliance96

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    I like a 13-15 inch VTAC Alpha rail, but I don't mount anything on it aside from flip up sights. I use it mostly for the grip it give up front and the added control of the weapon

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Key mod is probably the most versatile. But it is all about what kind of shooting YOU will be doing and what best fits YOUR needs and the way you shoot. There is no such animal as "the best". Only the best for you.

from an idgit coffeeholic

dt300mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Austin
    ditto on KEYMOD, personally don't care for quad rails. Plenty of accessory space but just plain sucks when you go to pick up the rifle by the handguard. KEYMOD handguards allow you to place a rail exactly where you want em while keeping the rest of the handguard smooth and hand friendly

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Key mod is probably the most versatile. But it is all about what kind of shooting YOU will be doing and what best fits YOUR needs and the way you shoot. There is no such animal as "the best". Only the best for you.

from an idgit coffeeholic
    This!

Right now, I 'm thinking I would like a sling swivel 2-point mount just forward of the receiver. My Hogue forend doesn't allow for this, so I have to decide whether to drill and tap it for a picatinny rail, or modify for some other option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Personal preference... I dig the MLOK Noveske NSR rails quite a bit, but I'm leaning to the side of MLOK rather than Key Mod.

Advice though, keep accessories to a minimum.

Flashlight is going to mean no bipod (do both, you'll see why I say that) mainly because the light will be used when moving, bipod for longer shots the flashlight won't do anything for.

Same with NV. If you put a PEQ or DBAL on there, you'll probably want a PVS14 mounted on a helmet, otherwise mount the PVS14 behind a red dot and drop the laser. The great thing about nods is having the ability to walk around, drive, etc... so weapon mounted systems hurt the function quite a bit.

An ideal setup would be a longer barrel, glassed upper with a bipod.
    A light weight, shorter upper with a red dot of some sort and flash light.
    Then a 3rd upper with a IR laser helmet mounted PVS14. (You could run an IR torch if you wanted with it, but if I go past what normal nods will do then thermal is a better option.)

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Keymod, or something like that. I've got standard rails all around my free float and don't really need them (or like them). MY choice now would be the lightest rail I can find with just enough space railed/keymod to put a light and a flip up sight.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I like the YHM customizable free-float forearm ( http://yhm.net/12-520-customizable-series-forearm-rifle-length.html ). I'm using the 12.5" length forearm for a 16" barrel 6.8 SPC II build right now. The forearm will completely cover the mid-length, low-profile gas block I'm using and also allow me to put rail sections where I want them. I really like the barrel nut that comes with the set too.

flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Thanks for all the good advice. Leaning toward the keymod now. I plan accessories for a variety of shooting situations: night vision (which I have on a hunting rifle), red dot, good scope, bipod, laser and light, but of course, not all at one time. Just what I need at the moment. I've decided on a 16 inch barrel, so what is the max length I hand rail I can fit?
    Here's another question - 16 inch barrel, what length gas tube do I need?
    Thanks!!!!!!

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Thanks for all the good advice. Leaning toward the keymod now. I plan accessories for a variety of shooting situations: night vision (which I have on a hunting rifle), red dot, good scope, bipod, laser and light, but of course, not all at one time. Just what I need at the moment. I've decided on a 16 inch barrel, so what is the max length I hand rail I can fit?
    Here's another question - 16 inch barrel, what length gas tube do I need?
    Thanks!!!!!!
    This is a Hogue 12" (measures 12.5") on a 16" barrel.

66de31573d1ed2615492e48f79ecc0a1.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The gas tube has to be bent on some of the Hogue carbine and shorter hand guards. I just got done bending one yesterday. One of the 7" overmolded tubes.

The gas tube won't clear the interior thickness of the hand guard. The Hogue bent gas tube is $20 freaking bucks.

Edit to add, leave the gas tube pinned in the gas block as you bend it.

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The gas tube has to be bent on some of the Hogue carbine and shorter hand guards. I just got done bending one yesterday. One of the 7" overmolded tubes.

The gas tube won't clear the interior thickness of the hand guard. The Hogue bent gas tube is $20 freaking bucks.
    My gas tube didn't require much bending... was easy enough!

The rifle had a front sight gas block. I looked at all the gas block options out there, the nicest being the most expensive, naturally. Then, I cut the sight and bayonet lug off of mine with a Milwaukee band saw, milled the bayonet lug flat, put the gas block on a mandrel and turned the sight off roundy, so it would fit under the forend and reinstalled it with the original pins.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I drilled a small hole in a pine 1x4. Stuck the gas tube in the hole, pull up or down. The wood smashes into a small curve on the edge as you bend the tube. No dents or kinks.

It took a little tweaking to get the gas tube nipple lined up with the bolt carrier key.

15minutes of slow bending(?) And I was done. No biggie at all.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I only have a carbine length. But isn't current popular opinion to go with a mid-length system to aid in recoil and f/u shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of my ARs are piston, but my DI ARs are either mid-length or rifle-length gas systems. I like the gas block to be entirely covered by the handguard so for me, I like the 12" choices.

Top Bottom