DK Firearms

What are your top 5 guns? Massad Ayoob has his opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Massad says in video, "The more versatile each of those tools is, the fewer tools you're ultimately going to need." Its good to live in Texas where one can get the gun(s) for whatever your personal situation.

Massad is one of the better informed about all things guns, self-defense, competition shooting, and many other related topics. I was able to take one of his training courses years ago. Well worth the time and $$$.
    Military Camp

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My choices would be different, I'd choose 9mm over 45 ACP... I don't like a pistol grip shotgun, and would prefer an autoloader... I'd like to choose a .308 over a 5.56mm, but the weight of my options would dissuade me... However, Massad's reasoning for his personal choices is solid!

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Great video. Only thing I would change would be adding a .22lr pistol to the mix. It's the most versatile tool in the box....
    Yes, I would go for a .22 LR rifle, downgrade the rifle to .223/5.56mm cartridge. And I like the idea of one's larger duty size/large frame gun is matched with smaller/lighter of same brand/style (like a Glock 19 or 22 with a Glock 43 or Glock 43X/48).

Reactions: gll

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    When it mattered he chose the 45acp in a 1911
    When it was for LE work in the 80's he chose the 45acp in a 4506 S&W.
    If you like 45acp you probably like to pump your shotgun.
    If you want to hit the target it's also nice to cock your pistol.
    That man knows of which he speaks

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    When it mattered he chose the 45acp in a 1911
    When it was for LE work in the 80's he chose the 45acp in a 4506 S&W.
    If you like 45acp you probably like to pump your shotgun.
    If you want to hit the target it's also nice to cock your pistol.
    That man knows of which he speaks

When he was Chief of Police, he had his officers issued a Ruger P90 .45ACP with a SP101 .38SPL as backup. Man knows his guns.....

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    For my rural situation, I might go with:

1. Ruger single six convertible in 22 long rifle and WMR.

2. Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 357 and 9 mm. (or a G19)

3. An AR in 5.56

4. A Semi-auto .22 lr rifle (probably a 10/22)

5. Pump 12 gauge

I think the .22 lr is HIGHLY underrated for it's utilitarian purposes. A man could keep an unwelcome visitor steppin' & fetchin' for a while at 100 yards with a 10/22 and a few magazines. And it is very handy at closer ranges!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    In general there is a lot of good advice in that video, but then it's also an advertisement for Wilson Combat. While I'm sure getting any type of gun is easy for someone like Ayoob, my budget in having a gun line up of Wilson Combats would be very limited.

I certainly have more than five guns, and picking five to take with me would depend on the situation. Much of my life I carried a 9mm, but then I realized that the .45 1911 I now carry I shoot best with, so it only makes sense to carry that one. I have a S&W .357 magnum revolver as back up. I love my 10/22, but to be honest, my .17 WSM shoots flatter and further. In SHTF situations it's a toss up between my 300BLK AR and my M10x (7.62x39), but then I certainly have a LOT more 7.62 than 300BLK ammo. Now next to my bed I have a folding stock 12 gauge, and that's what would most likely greet you if you decided to prowl around my place late at night, and my .44 magnum revolver that I keep close to hand in the living room would probably greet you during the daytime prowls.

There are so many scenarios, that certainly would involve other guns too.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If I'm not limiting it to what I own...

Primary handgun - Staccato double stack 2011 9mm compact (I forget the model number)
    Alternate handgun - my Walther PDP - I've had a chance to shoot it and I was really, really impressed with how it shoots and it has the best striker fired trigger I've ever had

Primary long gun - a top tier AR pistol (because F the NFA) with a 12.5" barrel - SOLGW, Cobalt Kinetics, BCM - something like that.
    Alternate long gun - Benelli Nova 12 guage pump with the 18.5 barrel, a magazine tube extension, a good light, and a good sling.

And a fun-gun - a Walther P22Q for plinking / small game acquisition if we're worried about TEOTWAKI.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    1.) Mossberg 500. If you factor in multiple barrels/chokes and the Flex conversion kit it can be adapted to suit multiple roles/situations.

2.) Ruger Mini-30. Suitable for deer sized game and more than enough for other "threats" in a reasonably sized and reliable platform.

3.) Medium frame 357 Magnum revolver. The large variety of ammunition from 38 Special shotshells to heavy 357 loads covers a multitude of scenarios including concealed carry during the colder months.

4,) Glock 43 or similarly sized carry gun of your choosing.

5.) I think the final choice would be between a Ruger 10/22 or bolt action rifle in a versatile caliber like 25-06 depending on your location/hunting preferences.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    My top five choices might include these firearms:

1. Remington 870 with 18.5" or 20" smoothbore barrel, cylinder bore, with rifle sights or ghost ring sights; and with 28" smooth bore barrel with interchangeable chokes; and with 24" fully rifled barrel with rifle sights.
    2. Glock 19 GEN3
    3. Glock 19 GEN3.
    4. Any decent bolt action rifle in .308, for instance a Savage Axis XP in stainless steel.
    5. AK-47

Top Bottom