What caliber of upper to use for hunting?

Texas42

TGT Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Texas
I got a standard RRA lower, and I'm curious what caliber could I put on my lower that I could use for hunting. I'd rather not use a 5.56mm. I'm thinking deer or hogs. I'm new to the AR platform. I have a stripped lower and complete lower.

I can reload, so it can defray the cost of ammo.

TSU45

Jun 6, 2008
San Marcos, Tx
I vote 7.62x25 for the hogs, would love to see what that hot little round can do to a pig's shoulder area. For me, hogs are not worth the money it takes to load a .458, but yes it would be cool to roll them up at close ranges with some 450gr triple shocks. Guess it depends on the kind of hog hunting you want to do. Are you looking to go out and take one trophy boar or the entire sounder?

TSU45

Jun 6, 2008
San Marcos, Tx
Ronald Williams makes a DI. I think Teppo Jutso, the folks who came up with the socom, make both a DI and a blowback. I've been thinking about picking one up cause of the ridiculously cheap ammo and overall awesomeness of the Tok round. The stripped lower I have laying around isn't helping either.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
Cool, I will look into it. Ever since being bitten by the CZ52 bug, I have been thinking that it would be awesome to have a carbine chambered for the 7.62x25. Thanks!

Reverendbiker

Nov 14, 2008
Central Texas
I got a standard RRA lower, and I'm curious what caliber could I put on my lower that I could use for hunting. I'd rather not use a 5.56mm. I'm thinking deer or hogs. I'm new to the AR platform. I have a stripped lower and complete lower. I can reload, so it can defray the cost of ammo.
I have a 6.8 SPC upper that has given me great service; I carry it on the back of my Rhino while working on my ranch. I've killed two deer and over 50 hogs with it using a 110-grain Sierra Pro Hunter bullet. Accuracy, mild recoil, and the ability to get off a quick follow-up shot make this a perfect combination for my situation.

okie556

Well-Known
Feb 12, 2009
Longview, TX
Ronald Williams makes a DI. I think Teppo Jutso, the folks who came up with the socom, make both a DI and a blowback. I've been thinking about picking one up cause of the ridiculously cheap ammo and overall awesomeness of the Tok round. The stripped lower I have laying around isn't helping either.
Hey TSU45.............would you happen to have a web link to either or both? I'm not familiar with either or the term..........DI.

Thanks,

Okie556

okie556

Well-Known
Feb 12, 2009
Longview, TX
Direct Impingement, as in standard AR gas tube operation.
:patriot:

Thanks TXSUT for info. FYI.........I Googled Teppo Jutso (Jetsu) and found info on the .458 SOCOM, a caliber that I had heard of, but nothing on the 7.62x25. There was a drop down but site was under construction. Googled Ronald Williams an just got info on people by that name.......no gun companies.

Okie556

Top Bottom