• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm wondering how accurate of calipers to get. There seems to be some cheaper ones on ebay (vernier isn't a bad brand)

I was just wondering how accurate do you want your calipers to be?

Thanks

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Lowes has a set that measure in English and Metric, in a case with an extra battery for about $30. These are electronic and therefor easy to read< the old verniers that I have are hard to read, old eyes, I also have a dial type which are easy to see. These were probably made in China and are accurate enough for what I do.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I use the digital calipers purchased on line for approx. $26 work great
    very useful tool not only in reloading.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Midway has the Frankfort Arsenal digital model on sale for about $13; regularly over $20. With shipping you are back at the original price. Work well and had mine calibrated by QA at work and have been well worth the money.

Grog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Texas
    Get what you find for cheap! You are measuring brass and lead. SOFT

No need for carbide tipped machinist grade Starret calipers. :) The brass will wear before the caliper.

Dials are good because you don't need batteries. Digitals are good because they are easy to read.

I bought a cheap set for 19 bucks at the local auto parts store. Work great.

redintex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    +1 on the Frankford Arsenal digital ones from Midway for 12.99, although you need to have something else in mind to order, otherwise, the shipping will eat you up. If you are new to reloading and don't have it already, they have the Lyman's 49th Reloading manual for $19.99 - just got my new one in today from them! I seriously doubt that you will find it any cheaper anywhere else. Now if I can only get a commission for giving them all of this good press...

My .02,
    redintex

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have been using a set of RCBS plastic dial calipers for about 25 years. They still work fine for the precision I need. W/in a thou or two for case length is plenty good. The gun will not really notice the difference.

Top Bottom