What can you tell me about organ donation?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
I have an acquaintance / coworker in need of a kidney. He spent a few years trying to have kids with his wife and they had twins about 2 years ago. His health is deteriorating and I'm considering donation.

I'm not interested in what I can find at NKF or similar sites which have been 'scrubbed' for details, but rather personal experiences.
The good, the bad, or the ugly.

PM or email would be great if your story is particularly personal. Your privacy will be respected and kept confidential.

Curtis

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
All I can say is if it weren't for organ donors my dad wouldn't be with me anymore. Course it was a slightly different situation than what your looking at.

I know you would have to be a match to his blood type, and there are a lot of rules. Mostly to prevent selling organs but some of the laws can actually make it difficult to donate in your situation IIRC.

Good luck with your decision.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
I know you would have to be a match to his blood type ....

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks. I'm in the soul searching / commitment decision phase right now to be sure. I'm not even sure I'm a donor candidate yet. I don't want to make an offer until I'm comfortable and committed to the process.

From the small amount of technical research I've done, we don't necessarily have to be a match. If not, my donation in his name, goes into a "pool" and he would receive the appropriate organ while someone else would receive mine. At this early stage, I don't see where who actually receives my donation matters to me.

TXDARKHORSE361

May 15, 2012
Curtis I mean this with all sincerity it is good to see this side of you, while I have nothin of merit to add I just wanted to pop in and say that you and your friend are in my thoughts.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Here's my personal experience, though it's not quite relevant to your situation.

Some 30+ years ago when my dad died, organ donation wasn't something most people thought about. The hospital didn't even mention it to us; we asked them. He had suffered from multiple organ failures and almost nothing could be harvested from his body but we offered. The only thing they took was his corneas.

Many months later, my mom got a letter from the Lions Eye Bank thanking her for the donation and informing her that two previously blind people could now see. She cherished that letter until the day she died.

My family knows that if I have something they need and I can do without it they can have it. My family also knows that when I die, anything that can be harvested will be harvested.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
TGT Supporter
Aug 14, 2009
College Station
You should still have my number, give me a call I know a ton about this. My father got his transplant (liver) in 1997 and then passed in 2009 when the Liver center refused to put him on the list again after his body started to reject the donated liver due to lack of income.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
My parents had to have $20,000 in the bank just to get my dad on the list. They ever had that much in the bank there whole lives.

TheCytochromeC

Sep 12, 2013
DFW
A family member of mine does cross matching for various transplants. Kidney rejection time periods have increased over the years of development. If you want to try to keep that person alive longer, try. Your contemplation on this topic already warrants action, in my opinion.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
TGT Supporter
Aug 5, 2012
Central Texas
What an amazing thought/offer Curis!
+1

Top Bottom