• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I just received a 1917 Eddystone. A quick examination tells me it is filthy. It has a lot of tan/brown greasy crap in it. The magazine is covered in brown junk. The question is what color is cosmoline? I've never had to tangle with it but due to the amount thru out the rifle I'm wondering what it is.
    Hurley's Gold

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Technically, it is considered brown (although some foreign versions are more honey colored); but some of us consider it to be gold, baby! Pure gold!

Cosmoline is the genericized trademark for a common class of brown wax-like petroleum-based rust inhibitors, typically conforming to United States Military Standard MIL-C-11796C Class 3. They are viscous when freshly applied, have a slight fluorescence, and solidify over time and exposure to air.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Old cosmoline will be a very dark brown to black.
    It will be anywhere from a waxy hard grease to almost hard glue like consistancy.
    Its a pain to clean.
    Most gun cleaner products will cut it but it still takes a lot of elbow grease.
    If there is a lot of it and its really dried out and hard I will disassemble and use Coleman Lantern fuel to clean.
    Be EXTREMELY careful if using this method.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Cosmo looks brown to me
    OW99QWn.png

ttuttle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    Will kerosene cut it? I was going to use brake cleaner to flush the crud out, or Simple Green grease remover but I have 5 gal of kerosene to use if it will work I
    Old cosmoline will be a very dark brown to black.
    It will be anywhere from a waxy hard grease to almost hard glue like consistancy.
    Its a pain to clean.
    Most gun cleaner products will cut it but it still takes a lot of elbow grease.
    If there is a lot of it and its really dried out and hard I will disassemble and use Coleman Lantern fuel to clean.
    Be EXTREMELY careful if using this method.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Will kerosene cut it? I was going to use brake cleaner to flush the crud out, or Simple Green grease remover but I have 5 gal of kerosene to use if it will work I

Yes, kerosene will work but it leaves film and odor.
    Do not use a steel bristled brush.
    Use brass, bronze, or nylon.
    Get some of those long gauntlet chemical handling gloves at Home Depot. You don’t want it on your skin.
    It makes a mess so do outside.

ttuttle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    That's I came here, to get the voice of experience. I may end up using JP4 in a pressure washer but it'll be fun for a couple days.
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Another way is to wrap it up in paper towels and lay it on the dash of a closed up car. Let the sun heat it up.
    Works but be aware of run-off. Wrap it well.
    Messy old cosmoline on Momma’s leather seat cover = baaaaad juju. Please do not ask me how I know this.
    's

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Having owned several guns that were preseved in it, some of them over 50 years here how I did it.
    1) Use paper towels to wipe off the easy stuff, run a rag down the barrel

2) Prop up the rifle vertically, open up the action, separate the wood from the action/bbl (if feasible) and pour boiling water over it and down the bbbl. Depending upon how long its been in cosmo it might take more than one kettle of boiling water

3) It's summer and hot, so I would leave out in the afternoon sun an hour or so to heat up from the sun the pour the boiling water over it, wipe and repeat as needed.

I have done it on 3 guns and IMO best, simplest, cleanest approach.

Top Bottom