Target Sports

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    20190306_211145.jpg

Attachments

• 20190306_211145.jpg
      20190306_211145.jpg
      702.8 KB · Views: 315

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Loaded a tiny batch of .38 special, 148 gr wadcutters. 2.7 gr of titegroup, minimum powder load.

Will see how this goes and decide if I should make more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Loaded a tiny batch of .38 special, 148 gr wadcutters. 2.7 gr of titegroup, minimum powder load.

Will see how this goes and decide if I should make more.

That may be a little low.

IIRC, I was doing 3.1gr or tight group under a 125gr SWC and getting 650-700fps out of a 6” Blackhawk. Been a while, but I think that was the load.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Mailman, what press are you using? Or do you make a day of it single stage style?

Ever since I saw your location I've wondered, have you ever shot at Mickey's on S. Belt Line? PM if you'd like.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Been watching some vids on loading for the m1a since I'm getting back to it and I watched a couple from IV8888 but it wasn't him, it was another guy.

I'm posting because in his video he states he gets 1.5 to 2" with his NM M1A.
    I'm thinking why should I listen to anything you have to say after this?

In all honesty I've never tried to put this rifle on paper, at least not since I shot my chrono in the eye.

I've loaded 10 rounds with 46.5 BLC-2. Does anyone have any thoughts on this powder? It measures great but another guy on YT says the only powder to use is 4895 IIRC.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    4895 is kind of a do-all powder in rifles. It works for a lot of different cartridges and usually fairly well even if it’s not the best.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I'm posting because in his video he states he gets 1.5 to 2" with his NM M1A.
    I'm thinking why should I listen to anything you have to say after this?

M1a aren't exactly known for superb accuracy. Even super match config are typically only a 1moa gun.

Also blc2 isn't very temp stable which is probably why one would choose h4895 over it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well hell. Thanks dee. I guess I’ll use up the 24 pounds I got of it!

Not temp stable means don’t shoot it hot conditions?

It means you don’t want to load rounds that are at/near max pressure during the winter and pull them out in August for a range trip.

It also means that you will see velocity increase/decrease depending on temperatures which will matter more if you shoot longer distances. For the most part it won’t be much of an issue with moderate loads shooting at and fairly short distances (<300-400 yards).

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Mailman, what press are you using? Or do you make a day of it single stage style?

Ever since I saw your location I've wondered, have you ever shot at Mickey's on S. Belt Line? PM if you'd like.

I've got two Dillon 650s and a Hornady single stage. I've never shot at that range. I belong to Terrell and that's where I shoot.

Yesterday morning, before heading to the range I wanted to try a new load in the .45 ACP. I got the powder measure dialed in, loaded 100 primers and cranked out 100 rounds of .45 ACP in 9 minutes.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    That may be a little low.

IIRC, I was doing 3.1gr or tight group under a 125gr SWC and getting 650-700fps out of a 6” Blackhawk. Been a while, but I think that was the load.

Damn, good thing I only loaded 15 rounds or so with my primitive reloading tools lol.

I was going off the hodgdons website.

If you only got 650 FPS out of a 6” barrel, I imagine I’ll be getting far less with my 2” barreled model 10.

Right now I need to work on getting a more consistent crimp and OAL (been getting between 1.45-1.60”, guide calls for 1.60) (keep in mind I’m using a Lee kit that’s basically dies and a rubber mallet).

I doubt with 2.7 grains I’ll be getting too much over pressure due to a round set 0.15” too deep, right? Still put the too-deep ones aside in a dont-shoot pile for now.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Damn, good thing I only loaded 15 rounds or so with my primitive reloading tools lol.

I was going off the hodgdons website.

If you only got 650 FPS out of a 6” barrel, I imagine I’ll be getting far less with my 2” barreled model 10.

Right now I need to work on getting a more consistent crimp and OAL (been getting between 1.45-1.60”, guide calls for 1.60) (keep in mind I’m using a Lee kit that’s basically dies and a rubber mallet).

I doubt with 2.7 grains I’ll be getting too much over pressure due to a round set 0.15” too deep, right? Still put the too-deep ones aside in a dont-shoot pile for now.

Checking my old notes.

3.1gr Tightgroup under 125gr HunterSupply Truncated come and COAL of 1.41.

MV 640-728.

With your heavier bullet and lighter charge the danger will be a squib. 2” barrel makes that less likely than a 6”.

I don’t think detonation will be an issue with tightgroup but I got the charge weight from another member and haven’t tried any lower.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The classic load for .38 target ammo is 2.7 grains of Bullseye behind a 148 gr wadcutter. Hodgdon lists 2.7 of Titegroup as a starting load for 148 grain pure lead uncoated hollow base wadcutters.

Other than the fact that there's very little powder in the bottom of the case (Don't double-charge a case, please!), I don't see any problem with using factory recommended load data.

Some shooters in certain sports will drop that to 2.4 grains, risking a stuck bullet. I don't advise that but the fact that so many PPC shooters have done so for so long with so few problems reassures me that 2.7 should work fine.

I have a Model 14 that definitely prefers slightly hotter ammo so I tend to suggest to people looking for maximum accuracy to try slightly more powder. Despite that, you picked a reasonable place to start.

In my often incredibly flawed opinion, of course.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Checking my old notes.

3.1gr Tightgroup under 125gr HunterSupply Truncated come and COAL of 1.41.

MV 640-728.

With your heavier bullet and lighter charge the danger will be a squib. 2” barrel makes that less likely than a 6”.

I don’t think detonation will be an issue with tightgroup but I got the charge weight from another member and haven’t tried any lower.

I’ll load a few hotter ones too. Probably will hit the range this weekend, I’ll take a cleaning rod to knock out any potential squibs and load one at a time.

The classic load for .38 target ammo is 2.7 grains of Bullseye behind a 148 gr wadcutter. Hodgdon lists 2.7 of Titegroup as a starting load for 148 grain pure lead uncoated hollow base wadcutters.

Other than the fact that there's very little powder in the bottom of the case (Don't double-charge a case, please!), I don't see any problem with using factory recommended load data.

Some shooters in certain sports will drop that to 2.4 grains, risking a stuck bullet. I don't advise that but the fact that so many PPC shooters have done so for so long with so few problems reassures me that 2.7 should work fine.

I have a Model 14 that definitely prefers slightly hotter ammo so I tend to suggest to people looking for maximum accuracy to try slightly more powder. Despite that, you picked a reasonable place to start.

In my often incredibly flawed opinion, of course.

Nice. I probably won’t venture lower than 2.7 gr. Is a round that’s improperly or over crimped round more of a risk shooting? Had a few that I think I managed to over-do...

Top Bottom