Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Yeah, that hurt. That was enough to get me to spend some coin on good, electronic in the ear protection. It's too tempting to remove ear pro on a hot day.
    Texas SOT

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Been processing 6 creed brass after the night match a few weeks ago. Having to sort through and check after mixing some old brass (from 3 barrels ago) that is starting to show case head separation signs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've got a defensive pistol match on Saturday. My Canik barrel is out being throated, I haven't had a chance to shoot the 5906 nor do I have a holster for it yet. That leaves me shooting a 1911 which I had kind of planned on anyway.

I went out and loaded up 398 rounds of .45 ACP. 4.2 gr WST under a RBS 201KT. Mixed brass and S&B primers. I put all the rounds through my seven hole EGW case gauge and they all passed with flying colors.

I had loaded 300 rounds of this same load about 10 days ago but shot some at my last range trip. The match is scheduled for around 120 rounds so I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

I do love the Dillon 650, it's quick and easy to make a lot of good ammo.

I had one piece of cracked brass and one primer somehow went in sideways. I've still got some movement in my bench so I'm blaming the sideways primer on that.

If ya want to shoot a fun match this Saturday come out to Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club. Everyone is welcome. You'll need a holster as we draw and fire from the holster. Match starts at 0900. Be there early to register and for the safety briefing. Cost is $15, I think, for non-members.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've got a defensive pistol match on Saturday. My Canik barrel is out being throated, I haven't had a chance to shoot the 5906 nor do I have a holster for it yet. That leaves me shooting a 1911 which I had kind of planned on anyway.

I went out and loaded up 398 rounds of .45 ACP. 4.2 gr WST under a RBS 201KT. Mixed brass and S&B primers. I put all the rounds through my seven hole EGW case gauge and they all passed with flying colors.

I had loaded 300 rounds of this same load about 10 days ago but shot some at my last range trip. The match is scheduled for around 120 rounds so I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

I do love the Dillon 650, it's quick and easy to make a lot of good ammo.

I had one piece of cracked brass and one primer somehow went in sideways. I've still got some movement in my bench so I'm blaming the sideways primer on that.

If ya want to shoot a fun match this Saturday come out to Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club. Everyone is welcome. You'll need a holster as we draw and fire from the holster. Match starts at 0900. Be there early to register and for the safety briefing. Cost is $15, I think, for non-members.
    The match sounds fun but you're far away I think. I've been itching to get into matches. I did 2 that a local range out on and won them both. They were zombie themed 3-gun shoots. They did about 6 but I only got into the first one and the last one. Won them both though. First time I ever realized I was kinda good at this

I've been having issues with my 45 loads. I loaded a Lee 230gr tuncated powder coat sized at .452. I originally loaded them at the same length as my XTP loads figuring the truncated cone profile would mirror the XTPs. None would go into battery. They stopped about 1/8" short, but if I palmed the back of the slide it would seat most of the time and shot fine. I ran all 1050± back through my press and bumped the bullet a little deeper and tight need the crimp a little. They seemed to function ok in a dry run but when I got to the range this past weekend they were doing the same thing. I think I've figured out that the load was too light which is causing part of it and the throat is tight which may be causing part as well. I'm gonna try bumping a few a little further back tonight and see if they will chamber any better. I was afraid of increasing pressure when i shortened them but they still felt pretty wimpy so I think I'm safe

Note to self: the 15kg powder was $350 because there's no load data for it...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Spent $300

Got 50 pieces of brass and 40 bullets coming.

By the end of summer I will smile at the loud ring of a steel silhouette at 1800+ yards away.

41434609589749ca4b1ef8827ba40e57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 41434609589749ca4b1ef8827ba40e57.jpg
      41434609589749ca4b1ef8827ba40e57.jpg
      25.1 KB · Views: 339

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I tightened down my seating die a little and a little extra snug on the crimp die. Ran a hand full of those botched 45s through and bumped them down to 1.165". I took a black marker and colored a few and chambered. It seems that the bullet itself was getting stuck in the barrel, not the brass in the chamber. Exactly what I thought was happening.

I'm gonna do about 50 or 100 of them this way and take them to the range. They're cycling fine in the garage but we'll see what happens at the range. I think they would work fine for n any other 45 but the XDm has a pretty tight barrel I guess. Either way, I'm just gonna buy some HAPs and stick with those for this pistol after I figure these guys out.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I tightened down my seating die a little and a little extra snug on the crimp die. Ran a hand full of those botched 45s through and bumped them down to 1.165". I took a black marker and colored a few and chambered. It seems that the bullet itself was getting stuck in the barrel, not the brass in the chamber. Exactly what I thought was happening.

I'm gonna do about 50 or 100 of them this way and take them to the range. They're cycling fine in the garage but we'll see what happens at the range. I think they would work fine for n any other 45 but the XDm has a pretty tight barrel I guess. Either way, I'm just gonna buy some HAPs and stick with those for this pistol after I figure these guys out.

You might want to get your barrel throated. I've got one out being done right now.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Isn't that just for feed issue from the magazine? I throated a Makarov to take hollow points one time. Just opened up the feed ramp a little. My problem is at the case mouth.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Isn't that just for feed issue from the magazine? I throated a Makarov to take hollow points one time. Just opened up the feed ramp a little. My problem is at the case mouth.

No, this is chamber throating. Gives a more gradual change into the rifling. Look up CylinderHone on Facebook.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I follow you now. I have used a chamber hone on an old 270 sem-auto before. Still have it laying around somewhere I think. The thing wouldn't extract and when I took it apart I found the chamber had corrosion in it. Ordered a hone and ran it through. Worked like a champ after that.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom