Join TexasGunTalk

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Moonpie, Aug 6, 2015.

1. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I'm not a fan of the tumble lube bullets. 9mm for me is the problem child with cast bullets and reloading. The Lee 125 has been my least problematic bullet for both.

2. rp-

rp- Well-Known

Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Are you lubing or powder coating?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

3. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Hi-Tek. I used to powder coat but the Hi-Tek is quicker and works like a champ.

4. rp-

rp- Well-Known

Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I bought a bunch of hi-tek bullets once from a reputable guy. They were garbage. I hit them with a hammer and they would flake off really bad. It just kind of ruined my perception of hi-tek. I tried powder coat and liked it. I've been using harbor freight red and some Eastwood powders but recently just picked up a few new colors from a guy on the cast boolits page. He sells a lot on there and they say his powders are the best. Figured I'd give it a try.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

5. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    H4350 is available at Powder Valley right now.

11.47am

6. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    If it flaked off it wasn't applied correctly. It's pretty simple stuff, but it's amazing how people manage to screw it up.

5 ml per 5.5 lbs of bullets. Swirl, pour, let dry. Bake at 400° for 10-11 minutes. Repeat. Size, load, and shoot.

I headed to the range today to try some powder puff .45 ACP loads for function. Before shooting I checked the other pistol ranges for brass. Someone kindly left me ~250 rounds of RP brass on one range and there were another 50 or so on the range I was using.

I finally found a load that flat doesn't shoot. 5.5 gr of IMR Red under a 155 gr SWC. I'm not the greatest shot around for sure. I normally shoot at 10 yards using a B-29 target. I'll also use some 3" stick on dots. I can normally keep all my rounds on that 3" dot with no problems. With the load above that 3" dot was safe. I fired 50 rounds at it and they were all hitting 2-3" low and in an arc below the target. I thought it must be me. I loaded up a different load and hit the dot no problem.

Make fun of me all ya want. I'm getting older, blinder, and shakier. The B-29 target is right at the same size as a human torso. If I can keep my shots inside the 9 ring on the target I'm getting solid COM hits.

Charlie likes this.
  7. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Got my powder today. Two days. That was much faster than expected.

8. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Loaded another 500 rds of the 155 gr SWC .45 ACP load. I had to replace what I shot during the last two range trips.

I love that load. It's soft shooting and accurate.

9. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Years ago I tried loading 9mm cast bullets. 95gr RN IIRC. loaded them in 380 cases. I never could get them to shoot accurately. Finally figured out the bullets didn't have enough bearing surface and would seat in the case slightly crooked

10. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've got a custom powder funnel for my Dillon 650 XL. I can sit those 155s in there no problem. Not to mention they just look good.

155.jpg