What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    You might want to start a separate thread with your trim/load questions so they are easier to parse and respond to without the clutter of the everyday posts. Just a thought.

If you exceed the maximum case length, trim to no less than the maximum case length. Usually there is a recommended trim to length that splits the min/mas of the SAAMI spec for that caliber. Just to be sure you are talking about case length and not cartridge length.

Great idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Added 200 more to the bunny box. I don't think I'll run out anytime soon.

56db5186a197fd6bc773eef0d11555fb.jpg

Attachments

• 56db5186a197fd6bc773eef0d11555fb.jpg
      56db5186a197fd6bc773eef0d11555fb.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 536

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I ran two new brass through the resizing die. Hornady and lee manual says overall case length of 1.368 and I’m getting 1.3715. Should I trim, reset the die or am I good to go being 2 thousandth of an inch longer if my math is right?

This is why I use a case gauge. Run the case through the deprime/resize die and put in the case gauge. You can easily see if the case is too long/short/or just right. Were your too long cases new brass? I personally have never had to resize any pistol brass. I should have said I never check for case length. I always resize. Rifle is a different matter but again a case gauge tells you what you need to know. If you use one do not push the case up from the primer side, measure with it flat on a table. I use a case gauge for everything I reload.

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Went through a move recently and remodel but finally getting my room close to done. Got 3 presses mounted and a few of my goodies scattered about. Did take a break long enough last weekend to go unload some 6 creed at a match down at triple c last Sunday but have been back at it all week in the afternoon's.
    3732505decdb6e7c90ca36278fcd37b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 3732505decdb6e7c90ca36278fcd37b5.jpg
      3732505decdb6e7c90ca36278fcd37b5.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 609

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I ran two new brass through the resizing die. Hornady and lee manual says overall case length of 1.368 and I’m getting 1.3715. Should I trim, reset the die or am I good to go being 2 thousandth of an inch longer if my math is right?

That's 3.5/1000. ReCalibrate your measuring stick.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Went through a move recently and remodel but finally getting my room close to done. Got 3 presses mounted and a few of my goodies scattered about. Did take a break long enough last weekend to go unload some 6 creed at a match down at triple c last Sunday but have been back at it all week in the afternoon's. View attachment 203148

Very nice!

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Went through a move recently and remodel but finally getting my room close to done. Got 3 presses mounted and a few of my goodies scattered about. Did take a break long enough last weekend to go unload some 6 creed at a match down at triple c last Sunday but have been back at it all week in the afternoon's. View attachment 203148

Love that old A2 press. Glad to see that beefy old bad boy still in use.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Love that old A2 press. Glad to see that beefy old bad boy still in use.
    I inherited it from my grandfather. Sadly I only really use it to deprime on. It has a pin that is binding a little and causes some run out. Called rcbs and was informed I was out of luck on parts since due to its age. Being the sentimental value it had I opted to not send it off to exchange.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I inherited it from my grandfather. Sadly I only really use it to deprime on. It has a pin that is binding a little and causes some run out. Called rcbs and was informed I was out of luck on parts since due to its age. Being the sentimental value it had I opted to not send it off to exchange.

Too bad it’s not tip top. But at least you get to use something from your GF like that.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

Can it be disassembled and rebuilt so that it runs smoothly and becomes usable again? Cleaning, polishing, and replacing worn pins shouldn’t be that difficult or expensive.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    This is why I use a case gauge. Run the case through the deprime/resize die and put in the case gauge. You can easily see if the case is too long/short/or just right. Were your too long cases new brass? I personally have never had to resize any pistol brass. I should have said I never check for case length. I always resize. Rifle is a different matter but again a case gauge tells you what you need to know. If you use one do not push the case up from the primer side, measure with it flat on a table. I use a case gauge for everything I reload.

The were new cases from Hornady and I found out they shorted me one case from the factory. So I only 49 instead of 50. I also learned I need a trimming die made for the caliber I’m trimming

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Can it be disassembled and rebuilt so that it runs smoothly and becomes usable again? Cleaning, polishing, and replacing worn pins shouldn’t be that difficult or expensive.
    I've looked at it but not sure its worthwhile with the big redding and Pacific being useful. I love how it kicks primers out in a more consistent manner than most out the bottom of the ram. The Redding will but reall needs a tube too do it better.

Top Bottom